BHS Tiger News
Week of March 20, 2022 - First Day of Spring!
Belleville High School
Greetings, BHS Families, this is Week #9 of Semester 2. We have two important academic related items to share:
- End of Quarter 3 - this Friday ends the 3rd Marking period. This is the last week for students to complete all assignments, activities, projects, etc before grades are due. Please be sure to frequent Parent Connect and communicate with your student's teachers as needed before the quarter ends.
- State Testing - in the Counseling section below, you will find the schedule for upcoming testing. Student test scores can determine whether or not they qualify for programs, scholarships and other available opportunities. While teachers have been preparing students for testing, students also have FREE access to 10 Practice Tests (Courses - Test Prep), as well as Diagnostic Assessments through Khan Academy (khanacademy.org). The more practice; the better prepared!
BHS Celebrates Women's History Month -
In celebration of Women's History Month BHS is sharing more great resources (Thank you, Mrs. Green!) in March's BHS Connect. Also in celebration, our very own Ms. Bohnam has been in costume every day this month, representing a different woman who has made or changed history. See pictures below, and click the link for this March's BHS Connect;
BELLEVILLE NEW TECH
Belleville New Tech is NOW accepting new students for the 2022-23 school year. Belleville New Tech is our school within the larger high school, and offers a collaborative project-based learning environment. Want to know more about Belleville New Tech?
If you would like more information, contact Belleville New Tech Director Scott Wilsey at email@example.com or call 734-697-9453.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS - FIRST Robotics Competition
Belleville Robotics is hosting the FIRST Robotics Competition March 24-26 and is seeking volunteers for a variety of roles, some technical and some non-technical. Please see the Volunteer Descriptions page for more information FRC Volunteer Roles & Descriptions.
Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth Survey (MiPHY)
Our school will be taking part in the Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth Survey supported by the Michigan Department of Education. The research survey will ask about the health behaviors of 9th and 11th grade students. The survey is voluntary and anonymous for students to take. A copy of the survey is available for parents to review upon request at BHS. A fact sheet regarding the survey is available through the following link: MiPHY Fact Sheet Prior to the administration of the survey a parent/guardian notice will be sent out that will include an opt-out form if needed.
If you have any questions, please contact Belleville High School New Tech Director - Scott Wilsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-697-9133.
Important Dates and Upcoming Events:
March 22nd: BHS Boys Basketball advances to QUARTERFINALS! (see Athletics below)
March 24th-26th: BHS Hosts & Competes in FIRST Robotics Competition
March 25th: End of Marking Period 3/End of Quarter 3
March 26th - April 3rd: SPRING BREAK (Senior Families - APPLY for Scholarships!)
April 6th: Senior Class vs. Staff Basketball Game, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Have an awesome week everyone, and GO TIGERS!
~ Principal Crockett, AP Mrs. Green, AP Mr. Roberson, AP Mr. Wright, BNT Director Mr. Wilsey, and AD Mr. Brodie
CONGRATULATIONS to BHS Boys Basketball as they won the Regional Finals against Romulus, and advance to the QUARTERFINALS!! This competition is on Tuesday, March 22nd at 7:30pm against Cass Tech @ University of Detroit Mercy. Come on out and support our boys! Tickets must be purchased at https://gofan.co/app/school/MI9892. Good Luck Boys, and Go Tigers!
Be a “Part of the Art” and help BHS have its very own Giant Helmet. Click Here: https://www.gianthelmet.com/football-helmet-fundraisers/giant-football-helmet-1-belleville-high-school
Student Council and SENIOR CLASS Information
- Help is needed!! The BHS Student Council will be running the concession stand during the robotics competition on March 25 and 26, 2022. Help is needed on both Friday, March 25th and Saturday, March 26th from 7:00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m. If you are able to help, please complete the google form with your availability. https://bit.ly/34GEThG If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Senior yard signs will be available for pickup the 2nd week of April. An email will be sent out after spring break with more information.
- PROM! Senior Class of 2022 Prom will be held on Friday, May 20, 2022 from 7:00 p.m. till 11:00 p.m. at Laurel Manor in Livonia, Michigan. Tickets are available for purchase NOW through PaySchools until April 8, 2022.
- Spring Senior shirts, that have the names of all of the Class of 2022 Seniors listed on the back, are available for purchase NOW through PaySchools until April 8, 2022.
- Senior Party will be held on Saturday, May 21, 2022 at High Velocity beginning at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are $20.00 and are available NOW through PaySchools until May 13, 2022.
- See the Class of 2022 link for updates on upcoming events including fundraisers, senior parent meetings, prom and senior party.
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022 there is a Dine to Donate fundraiser at Hungry Howies in Belleville for the Class of 2022 to benefit the Senior Party. You must mention Belleville High School when placing your order.
- Upcoming Dates:
- April 6, 2022 is the Senior VS Staff Basketball game, and
- Thursday, May 5, 2022 is the Tuff Puff Volleyball game. More details to come.
From the Counseling Team
22-23 Course Registration - CLASSES FOR NEXT YEAR
We have wrapped up our 22-23 Course Registration season. Please REVIEW the courses selected by your student in MIStar, and contact your student’s counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
SPRING STATE TESTING
This is a snapshot of testing dates and schedules. If your son or daughter has an IEP or 504 plan the dates and schedules will differ slightly and Mrs. Testorelli will provide that information as well.
How can my student prepare?
Your student should use their College Board account and Khan Academy account to build practice tests unique to your child’s strengths and weaknesses on previous PSAT’s.
Counselors will be sending a more detailed letter the week of April 4th so your child knows what to expect, and what to bring on test day.
Paper/Pencil Test - Main gym Spring Testing Center (STC)
- Wednesday, April 13th - SAT Schedule
- Thursday, April 14th - ACT Work keys Schedule
- Friday, April 15th - PSAT 10 Schedule
- Monday, April 18th - PSAT 8/9 Schedule
- Tuesday, April 26th - Make-up SAT
- Wednesday, April 27th - Make-up PSAT 9 and 10
- Thursday, April 28 - Make up ACT Workkeys
M-Step In School Test - Chromebooks will be used
- April 19th - Social Studies in person (30 minutes)
- April 20th - Science in person (90 minutes)
- April 21st - Science in person continued
- April 22nd - Make-up Science in person
- April 29rd - Make-up Social Studies in person
- April 25th - ECA students SS/Sci and WDF students
- May 2nd-4th - BOS students (30 per day) SS/Sci
- May 9th -13th and 16th - 20th : M- Step Make Ups
- May 2 - May 13th
This is the perfect time to begin finalizing your summer plans for your family. If you’re looking for career focused summer camps, consider some of the options listed below! Your local recreation department, community college or youth focused non-profit may list other opportunities. Cheers to Summer!
IT'S TIME TO COMPARE FINANCIAL AID AWARD LETTERS
Now that seniors have completed their Federal Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA), postsecondary schools are sending financial aid award letters. These letters spell out the details of a student’s financial aid award package. A financial aid package is a collection of different types of financial aid, including Grants, Loans, Scholarships, and more. It is intended to contribute towards the COA (Cost of Attendance) and help make postsecondary education more affordable. Here are some resources to help out with the review process.
Have an underclassmen and wonder how much financial aid your student is eligible for?
Attention Graduating Seniors: Ford Motor Company Internship Opportunity!
Ford Motor Company High School Science & Technology Program (HSSTP) Summer Internship. Ford Motor Company is working to provide you with a meaningful experiences to get you excited and inspired about a career in STEM.
Although this is an unpaid internship, Ford Motor Company will offer scholarships to be used towards future education. A complete application includes: Application form, Transcript, Teacher Recommendation Letter
Application & all forms must be received via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 31st, 2022
A Virtual Cosmetology Career Chat - Monday, March 21, 2022 @ 5pm
Explore cosmetology related careers and connect with career professionals. You will leave with tips and resources to get started? Click on the link to register. https://tinyurl.com/coscc22
Smith Group Exploring Post - Smith Group Exploring Post program is designed to give high school students the opportunity to “explore '' architectural and engineering professions while participating in hands-on activities alongside professional architects and engineers within Smith Group. Take a look at the upcoming In-person Workshop Schedule. For more information and to register, click here
3/23 Architectural and Interior Design
4/5 Civil & Structural Engineering
4/13 Architectural Technology
5/10 Electrical Engineering & Lighting Design
5/18 Mechanical & Plumbing Engineering
New scholarships were added to our scholarship page this week! Please click on the link below to see new scholarship opportunities.
Seniors, take time this weekend to apply for the Belleville Rotary Scholarship worth $5,000!!! This is a huge contribution from our community to your future education. The deadline for this scholarship is March 31, 2022.
Here are a "few" additional scholarships with approaching deadlines. Apply today!
- Clement Insurance LLC Scholarship- 3/28/22
- Belleville Rotary Scholarship- 3/31/22
- Edgemont Elementary PTO- 3/31/22
- Advantage One Credit Union- 3/31/22
- Kaleidoscope Scholarship- 3/31/22
- Avomeen STEM Scholarships- 4/1/22
- Michigan Retailers Association Scholarship Program- 4/1/22
- Society of Women Engineers - Josie Rewald Memorial Community College Scholarship- 4/1/22
- The Donovan Xavier Baker Scholarship Fund- 4/1/22
- Robert A. Hill, Jr. Scholarship- 4/4/22
- Rawsonville PTO Scholarship- 4/4/22
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - Starlett Burrell Scholarship- 4/8/22
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. - Vision Fair Foundation Scholarship- 4/8/22
- McBride Middle School Student Council Scholarship- 4/8/22
- Legacy of Excellence-Belleville, Inc.- 4/15/22
- 2022 NHS Scholarship- 4/15/22
- Keystone Academy and Perseverance Scholarship- 4/15/22
- National Association of Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club of Michigan 2022 Scholarship- 4/15/22
- SET SEG Foundation Skilled Trade Scholarship- 4/15/22
- WiseGeek Women in STEM Scholarship- 4/16/22
- National Association of Black Suppliers Scholarship Fund- 4/22/22
- EQUIPPED Scholarship- 4/30/22