Kirkwood Elementary Newsletter
March 20, 2023
Kirkwood Elementary School
Note from the Principal's Desk
Spring is on it's way - the tulip bulbs that were planted at our Fall Literacy Night are popping through the ground in our new outdoor classroom/garden...very exciting! Now we are just waiting for warmer temperatures to arrive!
We have a busy Trimester ahead - please check out our important dates below.
- Wednesday, March 29 - Spring Clubs Begin @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Thursday, March 30 - 3rd Grade Field Trip to University of Iowa Stanley Museum of Art
- Monday, April 3 - Conditions for Learning Survey Window Opens
- Tuesday, April 4 - Opera Iowa Performance @ 2:00-3:00pm (Gym)
- Wednesday, April 5 - Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Wednesday, April 12 - Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Tuesday, April 18 - 3-6th Grade Concert @ 6:00pm (Coralville Center for Performing Arts)
- Wednesday, April 19 - Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Thursday, April 20 - Kindergarten Round-Up @ 2:30-3:30pm
- Thursday, April 20 - Bike Rodeo @ 2:45-3:45pm (Kirkwood Blacktop)
- Friday, April 21 - No School
- Monday, April 24 - No School
- Wednesday, April 26 - Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Thursday, April 27 - ISASP Testing (Grades 3-6)
- Friday, April 28 - ISASP Testing (Grades 3-6)
- Friday, April 28 - 4th/5th Grade Field Trip to University of Iowa
- Monday, May 1 - ISASP Testing (Grades 3-6)
- Tuesday, May 2 - ISASP Testing (Grades 3-6)
- Wednesday, May 3 - Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- May 3-May 5 - ISASP Make-Up Testing (Grades 3-6)
- Tuesday, May 9 - 6th Grade Field Trip to Davenport
- Tuesday, May 16 - K-2nd Grade Concert @ 6:00pm (Coralville Center for Performing Arts)
- Wednesday, May 17 - 5th/6th Track & Field Meet
- Wednesday, May 17 - Last Spring Clubs @ 3:00-4:00pm
- Thursday, May 18 - 4th Grade States Party
- Friday, May 29 - No School
- Friday, June 2 - K-4 Track & Field Day
- Monday, June 5 - Last Day of Preschool
- Tuesday, June 6 - Last Day of School
Orchestra Lesson Day: Thursdays / Band Lesson Day: Fridays
Music Auxiliary ~ Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser
You can help support ICCSD students in band, orchestra, and choir by placing an order for hanging ferns and flowering baskets. The Iowa City
Music Auxiliary has partnered with Costco to help raise money to purchase sheet music, musical equipment, and entry fees for students.
All orders must be placed by April 2 and can be picked up at Costco during our pickup event on the evening of May 2 and 10 – just in time for Mother’s Day!
To place an order or make a donation, visit: https://iowacitymusicauxiliary.org/2023-spring-garden-fundraiser/
Here is a slide with information about the sale: Annual Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser ~ Iowa City Music Auxiliary
Theatre West’s Beauty and the Beast
ICCSD Ombuds Office
Students, Families, and Employees - The Ombuds Office is here to help! Visit www.IowaCitySchools.org/Ombuds to learn more!
Morning Drop-Off and Afternoon Pick-Up:
Doors open at 7:30am for those eating breakfast, 7:40am for those not having breakfast. First Bell rings at 7:50am; Tardy Bell rings at 7:55am.
Drop-off your child/ren anywhere along the Drop-off Lane. Do not wait to unload by the front entrance. This will maximize safety and efficiency. Children should unload curbside for their safety, then the driver proceeds forward to exit the parking lot as traffic allows.
Families who wish to walk their student to the building MUST park in a parking spot, NOT in the drop-off lane.
As you enter the parking lot please pull as far forward in the drop off lane as possible leaving room for all families to drop off.
Once your child/ren exit your vehicle, carefully pull out and exit the lot.
Pick-up begins at 2:55 PM on M, T, W and F; at 1:55 PM on Th.
Be cautious if arriving before this time, as buses and vans may need access to the lane.
You may write last names(s) of the child/ren you pick up on a paper with a heavy black marker, making it visible from a distance. Post or hold this sign in the front window of your vehicle during Pick-Up.
Wait in line near the top of the U, until directed to pull forward so staff can call name(s) when time.
Pull as far forward as possible.
Your child/ren will be directed by a supervisor to meet you at a specific pick-up space.
When all of your children are secured in their seatbelts, exit the parking lot safely.
Join our team!
The Iowa City Community School District will hold open interviews seeking paraeducators, nutrition services employees, and custodial staff. Interviews will be held on the following Fridays from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at the District’s Educational Services Center, 1725 N. Dodge Street in Iowa City.
- Friday, January 27, 2023
- Friday, February 24, 2023
Assistance will be provided, if needed, to complete the application process. To view available positions or to apply online, visit www.IowaCitySchools.org/Jobs.
Classroom Celebrations Reminder
Two years ago, COVID-19 forced us to rethink many of our practices within the school day including our classroom celebrations, such as fall, winter, and spring parties. The decision to do away with elementary classroom celebrations two years ago provided time for us to reflect on the overall classroom party concept. Our work around equity is at the forefront of everything we do, and in recent years we have looked at participation in our classroom parties through an equity lens. For cultural or religious reasons, many of our families opt for their students not to participate in one form or another. For those that do participate, access for all students is not the same (i.e. lack of costumes, food, cards, etc.). It is for those reasons that we will continue with the practice of no classroom parties moving forward. We understand that celebrations are an important part of our students’ school experience. Each of our schools will continue to find inclusive ways to have classroom and school-wide celebrations, that don’t fall around holidays, throughout the school year. While these may look different, they will continue to be part of our system of support. We strive to make all students and families feel welcome and included in all aspects of our school day and our school community.
Kirkwood Kares BASP
Committment to Student Health & Safety
The Iowa City Community School District remains committed to our COVID-19 health and safety practices. The well-being of our students, staff, and families is our first priority. We are following Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines to ensure we can safely, effectively, and consistently provide access to learning and co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The District’s measures are meant to keep our community safe, but they are only fully effective if we are diligent and responsible in adhering to them. For further information on our COVID-19 safety protocols, please visit www.IowaCitySchools.org/HealthandSafety
Have a celebration to share? Have a suggestion to offer? Please fill out this form!