Edition 26 - Week of March 23rd
Teachers and staff,
Thank you again for a wonderful Freshman Orientation night. It was well-attended and, therefore, many of our incoming freshmen students and parents got to experience Blackman at its finest. Our kids were such great hosts and hostesses. I know if I were a freshman parent, I would feel really good today about my child's high school! I also recognize that because of rescheduling, you also had to reschedule some things in order to be here. Nothing was more impressive than seeing all of our faculty in the stands wearing blue and having fun with each other. Your presence mattered. Thank you!
Dr. Leisa Justus
Principal, Blackman High School
Did you know that our school calendar is now available in iNow? Log in. Look under the "Home" section. Click on "School Events."
Upcoming dates in March/April/May
With all the snow, ice, ballgames and other disruptions there have been several items rescheduled. Here are upcoming dates and events:
23-27 Surprise Drill Week
26 Course Selection / AP / Dual Enrollment Parent Information Night – 6:00
30-3 SPRING BREAK
7 Faculty Meeting
Academic Excellence Banquet
14 Progress Reports
20 Block Schedule – US History EOC
21 Block Schedule – US History EOC
22 Senior Talent Show
23 Senior Breakfast
29 Senior meeting – PT
4-8 EOC’s / AP Exams
11-15 AP Exams
14 Graduation Practice – 1:00
Graduation – 7:00
Although there have been many changes due to snow days and our wonderful basketball teams, we will still have all students registered before spring break! Thank you again to the English teachers for your flexibility with schedule changes and helping us register.
- We have reached out to inform parents about registration more than ever.
- We emailed a newsletter containing the plan and schedule for registration to parents in early February.
- We scheduled a parent information meeting that was scheduled three different times. Since that meeting will not happen until next Thursday, the power point was posted on the school web site.
- We sent home a registration packet that included the registration form with all possible classes each grade level could take, teacher recommendations, transcript, and a graduation checklist.
The last step in our registration process is to send home request verification forms. These will go home the week after spring break. Parents should review forms, make any changes needed, and sign and return.
*Parent override of teacher recommendation forms are in the counseling office and parents may sign these at school any time up until the verification forms are due to be returned.
Dates you should know...
The US History test is being piloted this year and the dates are April 20th & 21st. It will not be given during regular EOC scheduled times. The test will be done online. The test will take a minimum of 3:00 hours of computer time. All students will stay on a regular bell schedule except those testing.
State Championship shirt!
To commemorate the wonderful season that our Lady Blaze had and the second state championship that they have brought back to Blackman High School, we are selling shirts.
Money is due at the time of order. Please share with your classes.
Short sleeve are $10.
Long sleeve are $15.
WBCA High School National Coach of the Year Finalist
You can run a gradebook report for a specific student(s). For example, you might want a report for those students who are in danger of failing. Follow these steps. 1. Click on the box beside the student(s) names. 2. Click Gradebook (under Reports on the left). 3. Change the start date to August if you would like to see grades for the entire year. 3. Under Order By, choose Student Display Name. 4. Click Preview.
This week's Instructional Technology Minute highlights Interwrite Workspace and Exam View Pro.Are you looking for a way to make TCAP or EOC review fun? Every RCS teacher has access to Interwrite Workspace – a program used to write, draw, insert images, highlight, annotate over instructional content, AND check for understanding. Learn how to launch Exam View Pro questions within Interwrite Workspace.
I want to give a huge thank you to Officer Martin and the drum line for visiting our preschool today!
VALIC BUILDING VISIT ANNOUNCEMENT/SIGN-UP 3/24/15
Jared Bridwell, Financial Advisor for VALIC, will be at Blackman High School from 10am-2pm on 03/24/15.
If you answer yes to any of these questions below, please stop by to see Jared.
1. Would you like to participate in the VALIC Retirement Plan offered through Rutherford County Schools?
2. Do you have a change of address?
3. Do you have a phone number change (maybe cell only)?
4. Do you need to change your beneficiary due to a divorce or marriage?
5. Do you plan to retire in the near future?
6. Do you want to learn more about your TCRS retirement? Please bring your latest statement.
7. Do you have outside monies either with VALIC or an outside broker that you need to consolidate with your VALIC account?
8. Would you like to increase or decrease your contribution?
9. Do you need a general account review?
For a more intensive visit, Jared is also scheduling after school and home visits. Please stop by to see Jared if you would prefer an after school or home visit.