Life During the New Deal
By: Keenan Duncan
Roles that Women Played ...
- Frances Perkins was the first women to head an executive department
- Many women became leaders in government agencies during the New Deal
Roles of African Americans
- The Black Cabinet was a group of African Americans hired to fill positions in government
- FDR respected African Americans but had to be cautious because of Southern Democrats
Artists During This Time
- James Agee was writer with powerful descriptions
- Walker Evans was a photographer with passionate and unblinking images
Popular Entertainment in the 1930s
- Nearly 80 million of the nation's 127 million Americans attended a movie each week.
- Comedy was another popular choice for the public
Sports in the 1930s
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias was a multi-sport star that played softball, golf, basketball, and track and field.
- Boxing was very popular also. The match between Joe Louis and German Max Schemling was thought of to represent the growing conflict between Germany and the United States