Letter from Principal
Dear Jefferson Parents,
It has been great seeing so many of the Jefferson School parents the past few weeks! Some of our preschool parents recently had a Parent-Teacher conference with their child's teacher and others are scheduled for next week. I hope you enjoyed learning more about how your child is doing in school and had a chance to have your questions answered. This week many EDK families came out for the annual EDK Cultural Night to see some of the projects the students have been engaged in as they learned about different cultures from around the world.
Our preschool teachers are starting to collaborate with the elementary schools in preparation for students transitioning to kindergarten. In the next two months, representatives from each of the elementary schools will be spending an afternoon in the preschool classrooms observing the children that will be going to their schools. Then the Jefferson team will share with the elementary teams what supports are necessary for the students to be successful. If your child has an IEP, you will be invited to a transition meeting later this spring to discuss the services and supports that will be provided in kindergarten to meet your child's needs. At the transition meeting, the elementary team will share with you what a typical day looks like in kindergarten and will answer any questions you have.
Thank you for being an active member of your child's educational team!
Monday, March 2 - PK Picture Day
Wednesday, March 4 - Parent Workshop - 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. - Franklin School
Thursday, March 5 - PK Parent - Teacher Conferences - 4:00 - 7:45 p.m.
Friday, March 6 - End of 2nd Trimester
Monday, March 9 - No School For Students - Records Planning Day
Tuesday, March 10 - Preschool Screenings
Wednesday, March 11 - PK Family Workshop - 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Monday, March 16 - PK Parent Group - 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.
Yoga - afternoon classes
Board of Education Meeting - 7:00 p.m. - Washington School
Tuesday, March 17 - Election Day
Wednesday, March 18 - Library Lady - morning and afternoon classes
Thursday, March 19 - Field Trip
March 20 - 29 - No School for Students and Staff - Spring Break
Monday, March 30 - School Resumes
Monday, April 6 - Kindergarten Roundup - 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Franklin & Washington Schools
Tuesday, April 7 - Kindergarten Roundup - 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Carpenter School
Wednesday, April 8 - Kindergarten Roundup - 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Field & Roosevelt Schools
Friday, April 10 - No School for Students and Staff
Inspire every child to discover, learn, achieve, and care
Jefferson School Information
The All Abilities group, in collaboration with the District 64 Student Services department, is hosting a “Planning for the Future of Children with Special Needs” parent workshop on Wednesday, March 4, 2020 from 7-9 p.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 2401 Manor Lane, Park Ridge. Attorney Mr. Brian Rubin, the founder of Rubin Law, will be presenting on the use of government benefits as well as estate and future planning for parents of students with special needs. Please join us for this informative event by registering and identifying any specific questions you might have to be addressed. For questions on this workshop, contact Maura Cullen at email@example.com or Dr. Lea Anne Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On a monthly basis the Early Childhood Diagnostic Team conducts screenings of children ages three to five. The screenings are conducted by a team, consisting of an occupational therapist, speech language pathologist, psychologist, and social worker. The areas assessed include motor, communication, play skills, pre-academic and thinking skills.
The next Preschool Screenings is scheduled for Tuesday, March 10. If you have concerns about your child's development in any of these areas please call 847-318-5360 to schedule an appointment for the screening.
Student Services Coffee Chats
Do you have any questions about District 64's student services? Are there any concerns you want to tell us about? Dr. Lea Anne Frost, District 64’s Director of Student Services, will host monthly coffees for parents to express their concerns, ask questions, or discuss any matters related to the Student Services Department. Please feel free to attend all or part of these meetings.
The times and dates for the remaining coffees are:
- 3 to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 10 in the Emerson Middle School conference room, 8108 North Cumberland Avenue, Niles
- 8 to 10 a.m. on Wednesday, April 22 in the Carpenter Elementary School conference room, 300 North Hamlin Avenue, Park Ridge
- 3 to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 19 in the Washington Elementary School conference room,1500 Stewart Avenue, Park Ridge
In the early childhood years, it is common for children to experience a "meltdown," as their expressive language, problem solving, and emotional regulation skills are still developing. However, there are things you can do at home to help your child avoid meltdowns. Click here for some ideas.
We've had some parents who fail to make their PK or EDK tuition payment by the first of the month, therefore, are being accessed a late fee ($25 if payment isn't made by the 3rd of the month and $50 if payment isn't made by the 20th of the month). If late with payments, not only are you responsible for paying a larger bill but your child is also in jeopardy of being dropped from the program! Please stay current with payments so your child can benefit from the Jefferson School programs!
Withdrawing and/or Dropping Days
If you withdraw from the Preschool or EDK program and/or want to drop a day(s) you must notify the Jefferson School secretary, Kathy Luppo, by the 14th of the month or before an invoice is submitted. If you notify the office after the 14th or have already received an invoice you will be responsible for paying the tuition for the upcoming month.
Mark your calendars! There will be no school for students on the following dates:
- Monday, March 9
- Friday, March 20 - Sunday, March 29
- Friday, April 10
See What’s Going on in Our Community!From the library to the park district, our communities of Park Ridge-Niles have lots to offer. For information on all the latest happenings, be sure to check the Community Info & Events webpage.
On March 11 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m., Jefferson preschoolers and parents are invited out for a special learning event, Everyday Learning: Connecting Home and School Together. The evening will begin with an interactive musical performance by Macaroni Soup. Then parents and children will participate in three interactive sessions to promote learning at home. A flyer with more information will be sent to families soon!
Registration for 2020-21 School Year
There are two steps to the registration process for the 2020-21 school year: pre-enrollment (currently underway) and registration (end of April).
1. Current student who is kindergarten age for fall 2020
- Complete the pre-enrollment form by going to the district website. Through the pre-enrollment process you will be asked to upload your residency documents.
- If you plan to enroll in the Jefferson Extended Day Kindergarten program, you will be given the option of registering for the EDK program during the pre-enrollment process.
2. Sibling new to Jefferson
- Complete the pre-enrollment form by going to the district website. If you submitted the "Reserve a Spot" form a spot has already been reserved for the sibling. However, you still need to complete the pre-enrollment form and upload your residency documents.
3. Current student who isn't kindergarten age for fall 2020
- By completing the Reserve a Spot form you have taken care of pre-enrollment. You will receive an email on April 21, 2020 from the District to complete the registration process through the Parent Portal. If your child has an IEP for the preschool classroom you still need to complete this step of the registration process.
- Please note that four year olds attend in the afternoon from 12:25 - 3:00, except on Wednesday 12:00 - 2:10 p.m. You will have the option of either 4 days (M,T, Th, F) or 5 days per week.
4. Current speech only student
- If your child will only receive speech services and won't be attending our preschool program, you will receive an email on April 21, 2020 from the District to complete the registration process through the Parent Portal. If you would like your child to attend Jefferson's preschool program and didn't complete a Reserve a Spot form, you will need to complete the pre-enrollment form by going to the district website. At this time, our morning and afternoon programs are at capacity, but you can be placed on the waiting list by completing the pre-enrollment process.
The next parent group will be held on Monday, March 16 starting at 9:00 a.m. The topic is Behavior Management Systems and Supports. Childcare is available. We hope to see you there!
Thank you for catching your child in acts of kindness the past few weeks and sending the note to school so their act of kindness could be posted on the Caring Tree. The students enjoyed seeing their acts of kindness/caring posted on the wall and watched the tree become overgrown with hearts! Check out the picture below!