SPAIN

By: Gabe Ayers

INTRODUCTION OF SPAIN

Spain is a country on the Iberian Peninsula in Europe. In this flyer, you will find a lot of information on Spain like it's geography, history, culture, citizenship, economics, and government.

GEOGRAPHY OF SPAIN

The capital of Spain is Madrid. It is a big city with a population of almost 3.2 million. Some of the landforms in Spain include the Pyrenees mountains, the Tagus River, and the Maseta Plateau. The Pyrenees mountains are located in the top right of the country, right on the border between Spain and France. The Tagus River cuts through the center of Spain, and is next to Madrid, which was built on the edge of the river. The Maseta Plateau takes up 45% of the country, and is rarely flat. Another major city in Spain is Barcelona, with a population of 1.6 million. The climate of Spain is varied depending on your region. One region might have hot summer and mild winters, while another might have mild summers and frigid winters.

GOVERNMENT OF SPAIN

The government of Spain is a constitutional monarchy, but the king has no power. The real power is held by the parliament and the Prime Minister. The current prime minister is Mariano Rajoy, and the king is King Feilpe the VI. It is a limited government. The government is not facing any troubles right now. Spain is a member of the United Nations, NATO, and the European Union. This means it can trade freely with other European countries. Spain gives and receives help from other countries included in any of the groups named above. Spain has a special interest in Hispanic America and the Philippines.

ECONOMY

Spain currently uses the Euro as it's official currency. Every Euro is equal to $1.12 in US dollars. Spain exports a wide variety of items, including machinery, motor vehicles, wine, and other food products. The gross domestic product (GDP) is a main tool or indicator to measure the economic health of a country. Spain's GDP per capita (per person) is 30,000 US dollars, or 26,883 Euros. Spain has the 5th largest economy in the EU, and 16th largest in the world.

SOCIAL AND ETHNIC GROUPS

The population of Spain is 46 million, and 88% of that are Spaniards, and the remaining 12% are immigrants primarily from Latin America, North Africa, and Eastern Europe. Spain has the 2nd highest immigration rate in the EU due to its strong ties to Latin America and Hispanic heritage interest. Similar to the US, education for every child is paid for by the state through taxes. Children are required to go through ages 6-16. Recently Spain has been praised for its commitment to gender equality. Men's literacy rates are 98.7%, and woman's is 97.5%. I cannot find any conflicts between the Ethnic Groups.

RELIGION, LANGUAGE, AND COUNTRY FLAG

The majority of Spain speaks Spanish, but other languages include Catalan, Asturian, and Basque. The main religion is Catholicism at 69%, but 26% do not have a religion. The Spanish flag has three horizontal stripes, in the order of red, yellow, and red, with the yellow being twice as thick as one of the red stripes. The national coat of arms is on the left hand side of the yellow stripe. The flag was originally designed in 1785, but it has been changed multiple time throughout history. the newest version was made in 1978, using a new coat of arms. The colors represent the oldest spanish kingdoms, Aragon, Castile, Leon, and Navarre.

TRADITIONAL HOLIDAYS, FESTIVALS, CLOTHING AND FOOD

Most holidays in Spain are religious. The ones that are most important are holy Thursday, good friday, easter, christmas, and corpus christi. But one of the the most important holidays is October 12th, day of the virgin of El Pillar. It is a religious and civic holiday. It celebrates how they found America.
Big image
Big image

CONCLUSION ON THE PICTURES ABOVE

Based on the pictures above, one can conclude that Spain has a lot of immigrants that spread their culture , but the country still maintains it's own culture as the majority.