Miss Shorna's Snippets
February 1st -February 5th
Valentine's Day Party
Our class will be having our Valentine's Day party on Thursday, February 11th. Your child is welcome to bring valentines to share with the class. Please have your child fill out ONLY the FROM section. Have your child fill out HIS/HER NAME in that space. This will help prevent a lot of confusion when passing out valentines since not all students are able to read names. You will need to send in 19 valentines. Thank you also for your continuous support and donations for the party! I greatly appreciate it!
If your son or daughter is interested in science camp, it will be for PreK and kindergarten students on February 9, 10 and 11 from 3:30 -4:30. The cost is $25.00 which include materials and a t-shirt. If they are interested, please have them send in the science camp registration form, sent last Friday on green paper, by February 5th.
Each month your child will bring home a calendar style Reading Log. If your child reads for 10 minutes every night and returns the Reading Log at the end of the month, your child with receive a pizza from Pizza Hut! Reading to your child is a wonderful habit to form. This is a great way for you to bond and share your love of reading with your child! Students can also read a book to themselves. They know the 3 ways to read a book (Read the Words, Read the Pictures, Retell the Story). Please let me know if you have any questions or if you misplace your Reading Log.
Gummy Bear Words
Last week your child brought home a letter and pink list of gummy bear words. Please have your child practice reading these words to you. Once your child has mastered the list, sign the bottom of the list and return it to school in their monkey folder. Then your child will be "tested" at school. If your child successfully completes the list they will receive a pack of gummy bears. Then they will get a new list of sight words to practice. This self paced program is a great way to motivate students and master tricky sight words! Thank you for your support!
Extra "GREEN" Recess
Every Friday afternoon, students that have been on "green" all week will receive an extra 10 minute recess. This is a small incentive for those students who are consistently following all classroom expectations.
Focus for the Week
- Weekly Theme: Snow and Ice
- Weekly Texts: Snow (Pebbles Plus on myOn), The Groundhog Book, The Mitten
- Letter identification & sounds: Blends (bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl, br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, tr, sc, sk, sm, sn, sp, st, sw)
- Reading Skill: Main Idea, Predictions, Retelling, Sequencing, Cause and Effect
- Question of the Week:
- High-Frequency Words: one, two, three, four, five
- Phonics: Blends and Short Vowels in CVC words
- Writing: Sentence Writing (based off a picture) and Cut and Paste Sentences
- Number 14
- Identifying Full, Half, and Empty Containers
- Identifying a Quart Container
- Covering a Design in More than One Way
- Groundhog Graphing (Did he see his shadow or not?)
- Using Objects to Represent Numbers to 20
- Solving a Problem by Acting It Out and Drawing a Picture
- Paying for Items to $1.00 Using Dimes
- Identifying the Seasons of the Year
- Comparing Temperatures During Different Seasons
- Placing a Tag on a Photograph
- Adding 1