The kinders had fun this week engaging in various group activities such as reading, telling time, and preparing a healthy snack.
What We've Learned This Week
1.Short & Long Vowels Revision
They completed short & long vowels exercises on their Phonics book.
The students inferred the meaning of the word “serving” from the context of a nutrition passage that was read. Then they explained the meaning of word. They drew themselves eating a specific amount of food and put the word in a sentence.
They identified the story elements (title, characters, setting, problem, and solution) of Cinderella.
4.Compare & Contrast
The student compared and contrasted Cinderella the book& Cinderella the Disney movie using a Venn diagram.
5.Parts of a Letter
They were introduced to writing a friendly and parts of a friendly letter ( heading, greeting, body, closing, and signature).
A group of students read books together with the assistance of the teacher.
- The students learned telling time by the hour and every half an hour (digital & dialog).
- They used toy clocks to show their understanding
- They completed worksheets to write the time and draw the clock hands in the clocks on the worksheet.
1.George Washington Carver
As a part of Black History Month, the students are learning about an African-American famous person every week this month.
· They listened to a passage read about George Washington Carver.
· They located the assigned sight words in the passage
· They found other assigned key words such as: scientist & George Washington Carver.
· They some comprehension questions about him ( e.g why was he famous?, what kind of inventions did he do?..etc)
- They identified under which group is their snack and lunch
- They identified healthy and unhealthy food
- They brainstormed easily made healthy snacks
- The made a fruit salad with yogurt as the first healthy snack in the class’s cook book.
They located their heart, learned about arteries and veins, talked about the importance of the heart in the body, and discussed ways to maintain a healthy heart.
Writing & Handwriting Skills
They practiced writing their spelling words in their journal using 3 activities from the spelling activity sheet (writing words 3 times, rainbow words, and circling consonants in each word.
Questions to Ask Your Child
- What does “serving” mean?
- What is the difference between Cinderella the book & movie?
- How many hands does a clock have?
- If it is 2:00, where should the short and the long hands be?
- How many servings of grains should you have?
- How can you keep your heart healthy?
- Where do arteries and veins go or come from?
- Why arteries are red and veins are blue?
- Who is George Washington Carver?
Making a Healthy Snack
- School is closed/ Presidents' Day
- Casual for a Cause Day-Operation Smile
- Your child may dress in casual clothes for a minimum off $5 donation.
- All proceeds will go to operation smile.
- The form and donations are due by Tuesday, February 16th
- Please refer to the attached soft copy for more info or to the hard copy that was distributed last week.
- The Winter Dance is from 6:30 PM- 8:30 PM
- Please return the form that was sent on Thursday by Monday so we have an idea of how many people are attending the event.
- A soft copy is also attached
- Please sign and return the spelling test with the binder on Friday.
- un-returned spelling tests will be graded in the system as "0".
- Please bring disinfecting wipes by Tuesday.