Google Fundamentals Course
Getting Started Overview for Instructional Personnel
What is the Google Fundamentals Course?
One of the best ways to learn how to effectively implement the Google Apps for Education in your classroom is to take the online Google Fundamentals Course. By reading, watching videos, and doing activities, you will learn how to integrate Google in your classroom. You can start and stop lessons at any time; Google will track your progress through the units.
Units in the Fundamentals training include:
Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Increase Efficiency and Save Time
Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
At the end of the Fundamentals course, you'll be "Clay County Google Certified" by providing the documentation that you have successfully completed the units in the Fundamentals training. If you wish, you will be ready to take the exam to become a Google Certified Educator Level 1.
Who needs to take the Google Fundamentals Course?
Some personnel are required to complete the Google Fundamentals Course for various initiatives:
- Technology Coaches are required to complete the Fundamentals Course within three months of appointment.
- Teachers that have agreed to be a part of the "Buy As You Go" program at their school (administration uses school funds to purchase a class set of Chromebooks for a teacher) must complete the Google Fundamentals Course prior to the administration being able to order the Chromebooks.
Please contact your administration for additional details.
What is the rationale for the Google Fundamentals training?
The goal of the Google Fundamentals course is to train instructional personnel in the following:
- An understanding of how to integrate the Google Apps for Education (G Suite) and Chromebooks in the classroom to support the shift to individualized student learning
- An understating of how to use Google Apps for Education (G Suite) to analyze student growth data and share it with others.
- An understanding of Digital Citizenship and how it applies to the Google Apps for Education (G Suite) and the use of online resources, so that students have a positive online experience.
Clay Certified versus Google Certified
Use this link to access your Progress Report: https://edutrainingcenter.withgoogle.com/progress
You may be asked to Sign-In. Use your CCDS @myoneclay.net Google credentials to sign in.
Now you will see your Progress Report. Click the Green Print button in the top right.
When the print screen comes up, click to Change the Print Destination to your Google Drive and it will save it as a PDF file in your Google Drive.
Go to your Drive at drive.google.com and click on Recent on the left side menu to find your Progress Report.
Right click the file and choose "Get a Shareable Link."
Make sure the link it set to "Anyone in Clay County with the Link can View".
Click the button to Copy the link address.
- Paste the link into the Google Certification section of your Technology Resource Inventory in Focus.
To be "Google Certified" you will need to complete the Google Fundamentals training and also pass the Google Certified Educator Level 1 Exam. This is a three hour exam and there is a $10 fee to sit the exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be Google Certified...complete with a certificate and digital badge from Google.
Can I earn inservice points for completing the Google Fundamentals course?
Yes, you can!
Complete the “Out of County” Request for Professional Development Form, available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByAIRtdv15zoamR6aGVKd0JQV3c/view?usp=sharing
Have the inservice coordinator at your location sign off on the top portion of your "Out of County" Request for Professional Development Form, then send it to Linda Schriver at the TLC with the following three pieces of documentation:
A copy of the course outline (training overview print out available at: https://edutrainingcenter.withgoogle.com/fundamentals/course)
A printed copy of your course completion (access and print out your progress at: https://edutrainingcenter.withgoogle.com/progress#)
Follow-Up Form (SCH-1-2178) with appropriate supporting documentation attached (regular follow up form available at: http://www.oneclay.net/uploads/3/8/0/5/38058641/prof_develop_followup.pdf)
Please click on the button below for an example of a completed packet to use as a guideline for completing your own packet.
The Google Fundamentals course is worth 12 points once these documents have been received. If you choose to pay the $10 to take the exam, and attach that certificate, you will receive an additional 3 points for the testing time.
Please click her for an example of a completed PD packet to earn inservice points.
Ready to get started?
Click the button below and sign in with your SDCC @myoneclay.net Google account.
As a reminder:
- Type in your SDCC @myoneclay.net Google address. The account is in the following format: email@example.com. (Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Type in your password. Your network and Google passwords are now the same. If you cannot login to your Google account with your network password, please contact the Service Desk at 904-529-4832 and they will be happy to assist you.