Mrs. Frank's Class Update!
All the News that's Fit to Click!
- Teacher Work Day: Monday, March 16. Students stay home. :)
- St. Patrick's Day: Tuesday, March 17th. Wear green! It's easy being green!
- Field Trip: Yes Theater "Legally Blonde" Friday, March 20. 12pm-2:45pm
- Unofficial Field Trip: "Insurgent" Premiere Film Night: Thurs., March 20 8pm
- End of Quarter 3: Friday, April 3.
- Open House: Wednesday, April 8, 6:30-8
- Spring Break: April 13-17
- Seventh Grade Trail Day: Friday, April 24
- Need help? Students can get extra support from me if they are struggling with writing, or any of our assignments. I can write a pass to help students during Advisory. Other supports such as Binder Hospital and Academic Counseling are available as well.
- Restock Binders It's time to restock binder paper, pencils, pens & highlighters!
- Parents: Keep Checking Edmodo & Aeries These are both important tools for monitoring your child's progress. Edmodo will show assignments and other class information. Aeries is the official gradebook.
Writing & Reading & More
The Giver This book has inspired a great deal of deep thinking about Jonas's society and our own. There will be a test on Edmodo which students can take in class or at home. We will practice some Common Core and critical thinking skills by comparing the novel to the movie, which we will see in class on Friday, March 13. This movie is PG13. Click here for the Common Sense Media Review of this movie (a great resource when checking any media for appropriate content for your child).
Insurgent Unofficial Field Trip In keeping with our Dystopia/Utopia Unit, the movie based on the Young Adult bestselling novel, Insurgent, is coming out on Friday, March 20. We are having an unofficial field trip to see the movie on its opening day. Any students and parents who can join us are welcome! Students are responsible to arrange for parent pick-up and to purchase the ticket on Fandango before they sell out! We will see the 4:15pm show of "Insurgent" at the Fairfax Theater. This movie is PG13 and does contain some violence. Click here for the Common Sense Media Review of this movie. (The review will not be available until 3/20, but Common Sense gave the first in this series, "Divergent" a "appropriate for 13-year-olds" rating.)
Utopia Group Project First, groups will create their own utopia. Students will consider all of the elements of a society to construct a unique utopian community. Then groups will get creative to design board games about their very own utopia. The final board games are due on Tuesday, April 7th. We'll celebrate by playing them! You can, too, at Open House!
Argument Writing & Debate We are following up The Giver with reading some current articles about two issues: how retailers monitor consumers and how medical advances make it possible to erase memories. What rights to privacy do people in our society have? How can we protect our privacy? Also, what are the reasons for using memory-erasing drugs? Should we? How does one regulate this practice? Under which circumstances should memories be erased? Students will develop their writing skills as well as their oral debate skills with these topics.
April 24: Seventh Grade Trail Day We take a day to hit the trails and celebrate nature and how far we've come in seventh grade.
Late April/Early May Smarter Balanced test. This will be a first-time test so that students, teachers and schools can experience what these more rigorous, Common Core tests will be like. I have revamped much of what we do throughout the year to help students prepare for this kind of reading, writing, and testing. I will continue to help them feel ready!
I encourage parents to take a Practice Test, accessible through this link:
The Outsiders will be the last novel we read, and it is a great way to wrap up the year. I have some engaging activities planned for this novel, some requiring that we get outside. :)
May 27th: Renaissance Day Grab your Renaissance garb and join us if you can! An event not to be missed!