Advising Updates Week of April 4th
1. Complete the March monthly report by April 8th - http://goo.gl/forms/gLPc3L0XGs
2. Support students with registration. Anyone that needs summer portfolio that is not enrolled by today will have to wait until Fall. (if folks have financial hold issues, please make sure you have a list of their names.)
3. Attend office hours TOMORROW as needed.
Office hours will be on Tuesday, April 5th from 5-6pm EST at (712) 770-4010 x281470.
4. Review your mid-semester data.
- April cohort team calls: The April team call will not be whole group, but will instead be by cohort teams. I will send out logistical info ahead of time and directions for what I'd like the cohort groups to talk about during the allocated time. FYI only for now.
- Summer registration: We have LOTS of course spots available. Please push students to complete summer coursework if possible. All registration emails have gone out, so support students as they make decisions.
- Summer portfolio cohort registration: Registration must be completed today. NO ONE will be allowed to enroll after today for the summer portfolio cohort unless they have shared with you that a financial hold is delaying their registration and you have shared their name with Katherine. I sent a one-off on this to affected advisors, so please review carefully.
- Student Graduation Speaker: Encourage strong graduating advisees to apply to be the graduation speaker. Full blurb to share with students in section below.
- Mid-semester survey results: I shared earlier today, please review and reach out as needed.
- Advisor application: If you have been invited back, please make sure to complete the role application at JHU Jobs as soon as possible.
- Off-track students: Have them wait until June to apply for August graduation.
- Need your W-2? Go to W2 eXpress. Log into myJohnsHopkins (http://my.johnshopkins.edu) using your JHED ID and password. Scroll over the HR icon (located on the left-hand side of the screen), and then click on the W2 eXpress icon.
- Non-responsive students? Please keep following the steps from our non-responsive system.
Sample blurb items for advisee blasts/newsletters
Are you the Student Speaker for this year’s SOE Baltimore Graduation Ceremony?
The School of Education is seeking nominations for this year’s student speaker for our graduation ceremony scheduled to take place at the Royal Farms Arena on Wednesday, May 18, in downtown Baltimore. Students who apply must meet the following criteria:
- A confirmed member of this year’s graduating class
- Speak on a topic that includes all school programs (not just their own)
- Keep the speech under 3 minutes
- Send a copy of the speech as well as a video of them reading the speech to Jeddinger@jhu.edu by the close of business Friday, April 1st
Order your Cap and Gown <deadline April 9th>
Refer to the email from the Registrar on Feb. 19th for full details. The highlights are:
- When ordering, please select “Johns Hopkins University – School of Education.”
- Master’s degree students wear the pretty blue colored hoods.
- Cap and gown are mandatory for all ceremonies.
- The deadline to order is April 9th.
Making the most of the end of your First Year! Where does the time go?!
As you wrap up for the year, it's never too early to start preparing for your Portfolio which starts in the fall and is the equivalent of your Master's thesis. You'll get a lot more details in the coming weeks from the program, but here are a couple quick tips from me in the meantime:
- Save student work related to any JHU assignments, save student work that exemplifies the level of learning and mastery happening in their classroom
- Review the portfolio resources on the Program Site. Go to the Program Site, left menu bar and select Digital Portfolio.