A newsletter for families and friends of iAcademy @ AES!
sand·box - ˈsan(d)ˌbäks/
1. NORTH AMERICAN - a shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
2. COMPUTING - a safe place to create, collaborate, and test your ideas.
October 4, 2018
A Note from Ms. Davis
It is such an honor and a pleasure to share our school's great news with you! On Monday, October 1, Betsy DeVos, U.S. Secretary of Education, announced that Athens Elementary School was one of 5 Alabama schools to earn the nation's highest honor as a National Blue Ribbon School.
As one of the state's highest performing schools, this award validates our work and commitment to meet students where they are and to support them on their own learning journey. This is not an award that you seek out. Each state's Department of Education nominates a specific number of schools based on student achievement scores, student growth, and attendance rates. It is also based on success over time - it's not just a one year slice of success, but sustained success. Therefore, this award is for everyone who has worked and attended AES through the years - those of you who built the culture of this fine school. This award speaks to the efficacy that our teachers have - the belief that ALL students can learn and that teachers hold themselves and each other accountable to do what's best for our kids.
When you see our teachers out and about please take a moment to congratulate them on this big news!
If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to call or come by.
In an effort to improve system practices, iAcademy is conducting a Title I Parent Survey. We value your opinion and ask that you take the time to complete this survey. Your responses will be anonymous. Your honest opinion is appreciated.
Fun around campus!
- Please pull up to the walkway/stop sign on Madison Street if you are car #1. Leave about 3 feet behind each car so that the line isn't extended too far down 2nd Street. We are trying to load 5 cars at a time. We will not begin loading until all 10 cars in both lanes are fully stopped!
- There is no longer a need to leave a space after car #2 in the right lane. The right lane loads first, then the cars are directed to drive off. The left lane is loaded second and then they are directed to drive off. Only when all ten cars have moved will the next ten be directed to move forward.
- Pay attention when it's your time to move up or pull off. Please put phones away while in car line so that your full attention can be on the safety patrol. We are trying to keep the line running quickly.
- Please teach your children how to buckle themselves in so that you can remain in your car. (We realize this may take some effort if you have PreK children in the big car line.)
- Leave neighborhood driveways clear so that homeowners can leave their homes.
- Make sure you put your car in park while students are loading.
- Please hold your child's name placard up so that Mrs. Weathers and Mrs. Greenway can see the name clearly. Continue holding it until your child is loaded into your car.
- If your child misses the call for your car, we will ask you to turn right on Madison and stop at the office. There will be a teacher in front of the office who can retrieve your child from the cafeteria. This will help keep the line moving.
In the PreK car line for morning arrival, please treat the intersection as a four-way stop and take turns entering the PreK driveway. When available, an adult will be directing traffic. This is not a one-way street, so cars should never use the left lane on Houston to drive North towards 2nd Street.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
OCT 01 Box Tops for Education Contest - Class collecting the most Box Tops for Education will receive a pizza party. Deadline: October 26th.
OCT 04 Kid Check Health Screening – Parent information sheets have been sent home. All students will be screened, unless you opted out.
OCT 05 AHS Spirit Day – Dress up theme: Wear Black - Athens vs. Cullman – Away game – 7:00 p.m.
OCT 08 NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS - ACS District PLT Day
OCT 09 Cherrydale Fundraiser Kickoff - Please read all information in your child’s packet before selling.
OCT 10 Kindergarten Field Trip – Tate Farms – 8:30 a.m. - AES Employee Flu Shots –
Picture Orders Due!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OCT 11 Animal Presentation by Barnhill Preserve – 8:00 assembly in the Activity Building for all students. (45 minute presentation)
OCT 11 AHS Spirit Ribbon Sale
ACS Board of Education Meeting 6:30pm
AHS Bon Fire – 7:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m. - Behind Athens Rec Center
OCT 12 KONA Ice Day – Students may purchase after lunch. ($3, $4, $5)
EARLY DISMISSAL 2:15 p.m.
Homecoming Parade @ 3:00
AHS Homecoming – Athens vs. Columbia – Game starts at 7:00 p.m.
OCT 16 Fall Picture Make-up Day – For students who were absent on Picture Day, a new student who enrolled after Picture Day, or you want to have your picture remade.****Please send a note if you would like for your child to have pictures remade****
OCT 16 PreK Vision Screenings
OCT 18 Title I meeting for Parents and Teachers – 5:30 p.m.
Athens Elementary PTO Meeting/Open House
PTO Meeting at 6:00 p.m. in the Activity Building
Ms. Davis will dismiss to classrooms after a brief meeting.
OCT 19 AHS Spirit Day – Dress up theme: Wear Pajamas
Athens vs. Muscle Shoals @ home 7:00 p.m.
OCT 23 End Cherrydale Fundraiser - Please turn in all orders and money collected by the end of the school day.
OCT 24 Storytelling School Days – 3rd Grade - 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
OCT 25 AHS Pep Rally at Athens Elementary – 2:00 p.m.
OCT 26 Computer Science Day at AES
AHS Spirit Day – Dress up Theme: Super Hero
Athens vs. Lee-Huntsville – Away game – 7:00 p.m.
Deadline for turning in Box Tops for Education
OCT 31 Halloween Parties in the classrooms at 1:45 p.m.
Thank you to WOW! for helping fund our INNOVATION LAB!
Thank you to our school partner, Lawler's Barbecue, for your support!
ATHENS CITY SCHOOLS FOUNDATION NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT!
Please consider setting up AmazonSmile. When you choose smile.amazon.com and select the Athens City Schools Foundation, Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to the Foundation.
It's very easy:
1. Login in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser.
2. On your first visit to smile.amazon.com, you will be prompted to select your charitable organization. You may have to type in Athens City Schools Foundation and then make the selection.
That is it! From then on, a portion of your purchases made using that login will be donated to the Athens City Schools Foundation.