FAC Weekly Update
April 2, 2021
Good Morning, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope that you had a wonderful week!
First, I'd like to congratulate our Strings Chamber Music students on a wonderful concert last Tuesday evening. After a year without performances, it was so refreshing to see our students playing for an audience. Thank you to Ms. John for her hard work with the students, along with our Custodial Staff and Faculty assistants who made the concert logistics go smoothly. We are excited about the performance opportunities that are ahead on our event calendar!
As we approach a much-needed hiatus, please accept our wishes for a Happy Easter and a restful Spring Break. I hope we all take this time to think about how far we have come this year, and how we will make the remainder of the school year a time to remember!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
Congratulations to Ms. Tromsness
Congratulations on this well-deserved honor, Mrs. Tromsness!
Resource for Aspiring Musicians
FAC Alumna Ellis McCarty ('20) has created a YouTube channel entitled Creative Connections which provides fun, educational videos for SC middle and high school students. The videos showcase varied and exciting ways that music can be studied post high school by highlighting other South Carolinians through a series of interviews and “Day in the Life” vlogs. The featured students span different educational environments (in-state, out-of-state, and conservatory) as well as musical interests (performance majors, double majors, music minor, composition/film scoring majors) and give a great overview of the many different paths students can take if they decide to further pursue music within higher ed.
Check out the YouTube channel HERE.
Also, Ellis would love to hear feedback on the videos. Find the feedback form HERE.
International Travel Over Spring Break?
If you are planning to travel internationally over Spring Break, please notify Mr. Popat via email, and please be prepared to follow these guidelines upon your return:
Students will be provided 2 options for return to school after international travel quarantine:
- A 7-day quarantine with documentation of a negative COVID viral PCR or antigen (rapid) test result between days 3 and 5 with a return to school on day # 8 or
- a 10-day quarantine with a return to school on day #11.
(The rapid test can only be used to return early from a quarantine caused by international travel, not due to a quarantine caused by known exposure.)
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Check the Ego
"Ego clouds and disrupts everything: the planning, process, the ability to take good advice, and the ability to accept constructive criticism. It can even stifle someone's sense of self-preservation. Often, the most difficult ego to deal with is your own.
Everyone has an ego. Ego drives the most successful people in life - in the SEAL Teams, in the military, in the business world. They want to win, to be the best. That is good. But when ego clouds our judgment and prevents us from seeing the world as it is, then ego becomes destructive. When personal agendas become more important than the team and the overarching mission's success, performance suffers and failure ensues. Many of the disruptive issues that arise within any team can be attributed directly to a problem with ego."
― Jocko Willink and Leif Babin, "Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy Seals Lead and Win," pg. 100.
FAC Parent Guild
Thank you to those who attended Wednesday's Parent Guild Meeting! Here is a Zoom link in case you missed it:
If you have any questions or are interested in being a part of the FAC Parent Guild, please email our Parent Engagement Committee Co-Chairs:
- April 20 - FAC Jazz at Genevieve's (Peace Center). Click on the event name for ticket information!
- April 22 - FAC Jazz Spring Concert - 9:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Classes; 9:15 a.m. class performs at 6:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. class performs at 8:00 pm. Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
- April 27 - FAC Palissandro Quartet and Yujo Quintet at Genevieve's (Peace Center). Click on the event name to access the ticketing website!
- April 27 - Theatre Virtual Performance (details to follow)
- May 4 - FAC Strings Chamber Concert; 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
- May 6 - FAC Voice Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
- May 7 - FAC Voice Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
- FAC Dance Concerts at the Gunter Theatre - 1:30 p.m. Class = May 7, 7:00 p.m.; 8:00 and 9:15 a.m. classes = May 8, 12:00 p.m.
- May 10 - FAC Winds Chamber Concert - 9:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Classes; 9:15 a.m. class performs at 6:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. class performs at 8:00 pm. Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
- May 11 - FAC Percussion Concert - 9:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Classes; 9:15 a.m. class performs at 6:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. class performs at 8:00 pm. Sutherlin Recital Hall* (FAC)
*Please note that all events at the FAC will have reserved seating due to social distancing guidelines. We will send specific details out to the parents of students who are involved in the performance. There will be strict procedures in place relative to mask-wearing and social distancing for all performances, as well as entry and exit procedures for the venue. Again, all of this will be clearly communicated prior to the event. We appreciate your cooperation, and are excited to start performing again!
MORE IMPORTANT DATES
- April 3-11 - Spring Break
- April 16 - eLearning for all students - Vaccination Day #2 for Staff
- May 14 - Last day for Seniors
- May 17 - FAC Commencement -- 7:00 p.m., Greer HS
- May 28 - Last Day for Underclassmen
- Remember that we do not wear a cap and gown for our ceremony. We dress professionally, but have no graduation regalia since we do not give you a diploma - just a certificate.
- Ask your high school if they allow you to wear honor cords at your graduation. If they say yes, then purchase the cords.
- Place your order by 3:00 p.m. on April 23, 2021.
Here is the link - https://fineartscenter.net/Disclaim.aspx?URL=https://tinyurl.com/paucm2f8. When you get to this page, click the button that says, "CONTINUE TO DONATION OR PURCHASE."
Class of 2021 Lawn Signs
Herff Jones is offering the FAC Class of 2021 the opportunity to purchase a lawn sign to celebrate our amazing Seniors! Please click on the following link to access the ordering website - https://classofyardsigns.com/product/the-fine-arts-center/.
Please contact Herff Jones directly with any questions - (864) 244-0110
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships are micro-scholarships that high school students can earn by taking steps on their path to college. https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
World Studio AIGA Art Scholarship - $2,000-$3,000 for basic scholarship; top award up to $5000. For underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students who are studying photography, illustration, and design disciplines in colleges and universities in the United States. Deadline April 13, 2021 Application can be found on the website: https://www.aiga.org/worldstudio-scholarship
- J E Sirrine Scholarship: Students may apply for a $2,000 Sirrine Scholarship by visiting the Sirrine Scholarship Application website. Renewable for a maximum of three (3) years, provided the student maintains satisfactory progress toward the completion of his/her program of studies. Deadline: April 15, 2021.
Alice Watkins Scholarship - $10,000 - Must be graduating senior at Wade Hampton High School and must be planning to attend accredited higher education institution in SC. Must declare major in English, Literature or Poetry (preference given to poetry) 3.0 GPA. Apply at www.cfgreenville.org/scholarshipsIf you have questions about the scholarship process or application, please contact Debbie Cooper at 864-331-8414 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org Application opens March 1 and closes April 16
Fred and Mamie Bostic Scholarship - offered to Greenville County Schools African American male or female. Click the link for details. Deadline May 7, 2021
Duck Tape Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest - Over $20,000 in cash scholarships for high school students who make the best prom attire from Duck Brand Duct tape. . Create an outfit and/or costume to be judged on originality, workmanship, use of colors, accessories, and use of Duck Brand tape. 14 years and older are eligible. Participants can submit their entry beginning at 12:00 PM EDT on March 31, 2021, through 11:59 PM EDT on June 9, 2021. Final winners will be announced on about July 21, 2021. Details at www.stuckatprom.com
Abbott and Fenner Scholarship - The A&F Scholarships are available to all high school juniors and seniors as well as all students currently registered in any accredited post-secondary institution. To apply for this scholarship you will need to write an essay on the topic below. The essay should be between 500 and 1000 words. Your submissions must be sent to A&F by email at scholarships at abbottandfenner.com
Topic: Describe your educational career and life goals. Explain your plan for achieving these goals. Include your degree/major, why you selected it, and how this degree/major will help you achieve your goals. Deadline - June 12, 2021.
Dolphin Galleries Scholarship for the Visual Arts
Having been in the Art industry for over 42 years Dolphin Galleries recognizes the importance of the visual arts as a preservation and expression of culture. We would like to give the opportunity to the next generation of artists, designers, sculptures, painters, etc. to continue following their artistic and creative passion. Applicants must be attending or planning to enroll in an accredited United States college or university during the upcoming academic year, be in good academic standing, and planning to or currently pursuing an arts-related major or minor. For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider's website. Deadline: July 20, 2021. https://dolphingalleries.com/pages/scholarship
Summer Intensive Programs - Request for Financial Support
Please note - the form should be completed by the student via their GCS Google Account. Call or email us with any questions.
Congratulations - Full Scholarships!
- Julia Bucci will attend the Illinois Institute of Technology College of Architecture - https://arch.iit.edu/
- Robbie Heyde will attend the University of Miami Frost School of Music as a Jazz Performance Major - https://www.frost.miami.edu/
- William Nicholson will attend the University of Miami School of Architecture - https://www.arc.miami.edu/
We are so very proud of the hard work these students have put into earning this well-deserved achievement!
COVID-19 Return to School Procedures
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.