Voyager Family News
Week of August 26, 2019
Strand Spotlights and Info
We loved welcoming you back to school last week and look forward to our first full week with students!
- Band at Silver Strand Elementary School: 4th and 5th graders may participate in our before-school band program (funded by CSF)! There will be an information night MONDAY August 26th at 6PM in Village Hall. Find more details in special section below.
- Choir at SSES: 2nd through 5th graders may join our before-school choir program (funded by CSF). See info and application in special section below.
- Book Fair: Our Scholastic Book Fair will be open in the library after school Tuesday and Wednesday and on Thursday evening for Back-to-School Night.
- Back-to-School Night, Thursday: See section below for details on our Back-to-School Night.
- 5th Grade Bonding Friday 8/30: Thank you to our 5th Grade Team for continuing a tradition of bonding and community building with an all-day "retreat" this Friday. Students should wear comfortable clothes suitable for playing on the beach!
- Ice-Cream Friday: This Friday is the monthly Nutrition Department's Ice Cream Friday day. Students may purchase an ice cream treat at the end of lunch for $1.50 (cash ONLY; send with your student). Please do not drop off money in the office if you forget; we cannot accommodate deliveries to classrooms.
- After-School Pickup: With all grades releasing at the same time, we know there have been long lines of cars in the afternoons at pickup. Thank you for your patience with your fellow drivers and families--we have noted that last week all cars had departed by about 3:03 PM, meaning reunification is happening in about 10 minutes. If you are picking up older children, please consider waiting in your parked car on outbound Leyte Rd. or a side street and having your child walk to meet you to maximize efficiency and safety. We also encourage walking/biking/scootering!
- Health and Safety: Please remember to send your child with a jacket as our weather is very variable! AND...we recommend checking your child's head periodically for lice. For more information on detecting and treating, click here.
- School Lunch: See our Nutrition Page for school lunch menus and to add funds to your child's account. Please send your child with a labeled water bottle and morning snack.
Band for 4th and 5th Graders
Coronado Unified School District
Strike Up the Band Night!
Monday August 26 – 6:00pm - Village Hall
Village Elementary School
Interested in learning how to play a musical instrument? Please join us for an open house and instrument petting zoo. Open to all 4th and 5th grade students at Village and Silver Strand Elementary and all CMS students.
● Meet the teachers from Village and Strand.
● See and hear each instrument up close before choosing which one to play.
● Learn about rental programs and instrument costs from Harper’s Music.
● You may choose from the following instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion.
Returning band students do not need to attend - you will be sent a separate form to fill out in order to sign up again this year.
For more information please contact:
Matt Heinecke – Village/CMS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Margolies – Silver Strand Elementary: email@example.com
Band made possible by presenting sponsor, The Werth Group, with additional support from Coronado Schools Foundation donors and Coronado Band and Choir Boosters.
Choir Information and Application: 2nd-5th Graders
Back-to-School Night Thursday
Schedule of Events:
4-5:30 PM: Book Fair open and food for sale in front of school with seating available for families to dine in Strand Hall.
5:30-5:40: Brief welcome and announcements in Strand Hall
5:45-6:05 PM: Session 1 in classrooms
6:10-6:30 PM: Session 2 in classrooms
6:30: Classrooms close, children under supervision of parents, teachers depart. Book Fair remains open until 7PM in Library.
This Week and Next:
Mon 8/26, 6 PM: Elementary Band Info Night (4th and 5th grades) at Village Hall
Thurs 8/29: Back-to-School Night at SSES (5-7 PM)
Friday 8/30: 5th Grade Bonding/Community Building Day
Friday 8/30: Information about After-School Enrichment Clubs posted to PeachJar
Mon 9/2: Labor Day Holiday/No School
Fri 9/6: Loews Play on the Bay Event benefiting Coronado Schools: https://www.loewshotels.com/coronado-bay-resort/play-on-the-bay
Fri 9/13, 4:30 PM: All-School Carnival sponsored by CSF at CHS Quad
Thurs 9/26: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 9/27: 5th Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:30 AM) and PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
Mon 10/14: District Holiday/No School
Fri 10/25: 4th Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:30 AM)
11/4-8: Parent-Teacher Conferences (Students Early Release)
Mon 11/11: Veteran's Day Holiday/No School
Fri 11/15: PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
11/25-29: Thanksgiving Holiday/No School
12/9-13: Holiday Shoppe at SSES
Fri 12/20-1/3/20: Winter Holiday/No School
Mon 1/6/20: School Resumes
Fri 1/17/20: Teacher Workday/No School for Students
Mon 1/20/20: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday/No School
Thurs 1/30: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 1/31: 3rd Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (12:15PM)and PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
Fri 2/14-Mon 2/17: Presidents' Weekend/No School
Thurs 2/27: Spring Open House
Fri 2/28: 2nd Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (12:15)
Fri 3/13: PTO Family Fun Night
Wed 3/18, 4:30-9 PM: CSF Telethon at CHS
Thurs 3/19: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 3/27: 1st Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:50)
3/30-4/3: Spring Break Holiday/No School
Tues 4/7-Thurs 4/9: Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences (Students Early Release)
Fri 4/10-Mon 4/13: District Holiday/No School
Fri 4/24: Kindergarten Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:50) and SSES Luau
5/25/20: Memorial Day Holiday/No School
6/11/20: 5th Grade Promotion/Last Day of School/Early Release
Morning Dropoff and Afternoon Pickup in 2019-20
Our new bell schedule means ALL students TK-5th Grade will start school at 8:10 AM (same as this past year), and ALL Kindergarten-5th Graders will release at 2:55 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and at 1:40 on Wednesdays (Transitional Kindergarten will release at 11:50 each day). Our afternoon pickup time will be BUSY! Your cooperation with protocols and safety provisions will be essential for smooth and safe transitions for students.
Adult supervision outside school in the morning does not begin until 7:50 AM; please do not plan to drop your child off prior to this time unless they are participating in band/choir/other officially supervised school activities.
IN THE MORNINGS: TK and Kindergarten students will line up outside the gate to the right of our office door each morning by 8:05 AM to be picked up by their teachers and escorted to class. First graders will enter the same gate and proceed to class at the first bell. All other grades enter the gates to the left by Strand Hall when the first bell rings to line up by class on the blacktop.
IN CASE OF RAIN OR INCLEMENT WEATHER, students will report to Strand Hall and line up in designated areas in the Hall.
At the end of the school day, Kindergarten teachers will escort their students to the PRESCHOOL GATE for parent pickup ahead of other students, so parents of kindergarteners should plan for their students to be ready to reunite with you 5-10 minutes before 2:55 (or 1:40 on Wednesdays).
We anticipate a VERY BUSY afternoon pickup each day, with more students releasing at the same time! It will be critical that all drivers follow our safety protocols and plan for efficient reunification with students. We encourage those students/families who can walk/bike/scooter to do so!
The blue crosswalk in the middle of the dropoff/pickup area is reserved for use by school community members with disabilities during our busiest times. If you park to walk into school with your child, please use the crosswalk by Strand Hall.
When dropping off or picking up your students, please stay to the right. The left lane is for parking and is not safe for passing, except when directed by school staff/crossing guard.
Meet Our New Board and Join our PTO!
Welcome to our new PTO Board:
- President: Lauren Koehler
- Vice President Lori Blauert
- Treasurer: Leslie Broussard
- Secretary: Leigh-ann Williamson
- Parliamentarian: Becca Kofonow
- Luau Coordinator: Heather Pettit
- PTO Advisor: Nellie Ritter
In addition to building community, supporting curriculum, and enriching students' school experience, the Silver Strand PTO is responsible for Family Fun Nights, Holiday Shoppe, Yearbook and Luau to name a few. Our fundraising efforts provide for school field trips and enrichments clubs. We are unable to do what we do without the support of Silver Strand families, teachers and staff. Your first opportunity to support our endeavors this year is by joining the PTO. You can join online now! Link: http://bit.ly/2yMRMTL Please let us know on our membership form where you would like to help us with your time and talents.
After-School Enrichment Clubs
Our SSES PTO is proud to sponsor and coordinate after-school enrichment clubs for students in grades K-5 from 3-4 PM Monday through Thursday (note that these clubs are not part of the CUSD/SSES instructional day, and clubs are run by private organizations/non-CUSD employees).
SSES Teacher Karen Pierro works with our PTO as a coordinator/liaison.
*Clubs will start the week of 9/15
*Individual Clubs will post flyers with details on how to register on Peachjar this Friday 8/30 and on our school website.
*Some clubs have enrollment caps so register early!
*If your child does not get into a particular club this time, there will be one, possibly two more sessions this school year (session 1 will end in November).
Coronado Schools Foundation News & Events
The All Schools Carnival: Back 2 School Bash is Friday, September 13th, 4:30-7:30pm at the Coronado High School Quad!
Come mingle with old friends and make some new ones in this welcome back to school carnival! Fun for all ages! Admission is free with food and activity bands for purchase!
Activities, games, prizes, food from Blue Bridge Hospitality and baked goods from the CHS Senior Class will all be offered at this not to miss event.
Quad Activity Wristbands will be pre-sold for this event at csfkids.org or available at the door.
Families donating $30 or more a month get a free activity wristband. Without generous community donors, our schools won’t be able to provide the enrichment programs our students enjoy every day! We need everyone to help! CSF asks parents to donate $1 a day per child. Imagine the possibilities for our children’s education if we all pooled our resources together!
The Coronado Schools Foundation provides exceptional learning experiences for all Coronado Unified students by raising and managing funds through community involvement and support.
Learn more about what programs CSF is funding at Silver Strand: https://www.csfkids.org/what-we-do/.
Community Agreements and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
Important Information Regarding Nutrition and Meals at Silver Strand Elementary School
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Marie Millard! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life.
Village Wed. Nov. 20 8:30-9:30 Building Resiliency in Children
Strand Wed. Feb. 19 8:30-9:30 Supporting Your Child Through Deployment
ECDC Wed. May 20 8:30-9:30 Transitions
Confirmed---CMS Wed. Sept 18 8:30-9:30 Children and Moving/Challenges of Changing Schools
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
2019-20 Parent and Student Handbook
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/