Week of May 2, 2022
* NJSLA This Week
As a reminder, our Mickle students will be taking the New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA) this week (May 2-May 6). NJSLA is the state-testing program that is administered in English Language Arts and Mathematics in grades 3 through 6, as well as in Science for grade 5 only. Please note the important reminders below to ensure a successful testing experience for students:
- As with any school day, it's important for students to ensure that they get adequate sleep each night and have time in the morning for a nutritious breakfast to help them be in the best conditions to learn.
- Please ensure that students bring their school-issued Chromebook to school fully charged each day. Only school-issued Chromebooks are permitted to be used for NJSLA test sessions.
- Due to testing protocols, smart watches and cell phones are prohibited during test sessions (unless there is documented medical need). Please either do not send your child to school with a smartwatch next week or ensure that the watch is turned off and stored in students' book bags as they would do with cell phones.
- On most days next week, students will begin the day's NJSLA session in the morning and be completed with the day's testing by later that morning/early afternoon. If a student arrives after a test session has started, he or she will need to complete the session at a later time as a make-up session. Make-up sessions will begin to occur on Tuesday afternoon.
* "Poem In Your Pocket Days" This Weekend
Poem In Your Pocket Days are finally here and we are thrilled to once again join with so many wonderful community partners to bring poetry to life for our students! Thank you goes to Mrs. Ligameri and Mrs. Wordelmann for their efforts Please see the attached document for a full listing of the participating Poem In Your Pocket businesses and the times they are available to welcome our poets.
* The mid-point of Trimester 3 occurs on May 5, 2022. Progress reports will be available on the Parent Portal on May 12, 2022
* Home & School is excited to announce its 1st Annual Golf Outing on Monday, May 2nd! For information and to register, visit the Home & School Website.
* Beyond the Bell Registration for the 2022-2023 School Year
Beyond the Bell registration for the 2022-2023 school year will open on Monday, May 2nd at 6:00 a.m. Program information and registration instructions can be found on the district website:
* Save the Date - The Kingsway 7th Grade Orientation Night
The Kingsway orientation for our current 6th grade students (7th grade students at Kingsway next year) is planned to be held on Wednesday, May 18 at 6:30 p.m. More information to come as the date gets closer.
* The Little Red Schoolhouse Committee is sponsoring a four-week tennis clinic for 4th through 6th grade students, with the first session beginning on May 31. Please click here for more information and the registration form.
The "Parents Make the Difference" newsletters provide relevant topics, research, and activities for parents in supporting their children's learning and development.
Quote for the Week
“There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs."
- Zig Ziglar
EG Spirit Wear
It may be cold outside, but you can stay warm with spirit wear while saving big on items like hoodies, jackets and blankets! There is also free shipping on all orders over $100. Shop Now.
You can view each grade-level's school supply items and order directly from here. This is a great way to easily purchase all school supply items and benefit the Home & School Association at the same time!
The Buzzworthy trait to focus on is Integrity. Integrity means doing the right thing even when it may be difficult or when no one is looking.
Social Emotional Learning
Overview of May's Lessons:
Grade 3 will be covering lesson 6 this month. This lesson covers the concept that people digitally alter photographs and images, as well as the reason why they would do it. Digital citizenship curriculum can be found on commonsense.org.
All grades will be teaching Unit 5 in Sanford Harmony. This unit helps students develop peer relationship skills. Students will identify the qualities important to friendships, practice providing peers and classmates with support, and practice effective ways for handling bullying situations.
Hello and welcome back to the Counselor's Corner! My name is Kristen Lombardo and I am your child’s school counselor. This month your children will be taking the New Jersey Student Learning Assessment. Please click here to get tips on how to help your child be successful and worry free about this assessment. Remember to make sure you students get a good night sleep and eat a good breakfast. If your child is anxious about testing I have lots of tips and tools in my online office to help them. If you are looking for guidance on how to help your child please visit my website for more information.
This month, fourth grade will be exploring different career opportunities. They are doing this through various different computer programs. If you are interested in checking out any of my lessons they are posted in my Google Classroom. All students have access to my Google Classroom.
I am available if you have any questions or concerns. It is important that we all work together. I can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (856)423-0412 ext. 1051. If your child ever has a rough evening or morning please consider emailing me to let me know. I do not need specifics of the situation. If you just put “Handle With Care” in the subject line I can alert all of their teachers and check in with them sometime throughout the day. I will send you an email to let you know how things are going so you do not worry all day. I look forward to working with you and your child.