Cars: Maths in Motion Course
Maths and Science for your more able pupils.
What is The Challenge?
Working in teams of up to 4, you will need to set up a virtual racing car to race against others using online software.
In doing this you'll learn about the software and the day will prepare you to use it back in school with groups of pupils.
What is covered?
- Multiplication, Division
- Calculator work (or not!)
- Decimals, rounding, context
- Ratios, chance, risk, strategy
- Angles, measurement, scale
- Speed, distance, time
- Maths modelling… what happens if?
- Engine performance, aerodynamics, gears, suspension
- Team strategy, working together
- Interpreting graphs, statistics
- Data handling
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Functional Maths Skills
- enter the regional challenge with the aspiration of making the national finals
- compete against other local schools. An exciting Academy/Cluster Challenge?
- keep it in-house and have in-school challenges
- secondary schools could organise a 'Transition Challenge'
Suggested age range Y5 and older
G&T/More Able Co-ordinators
Date: Feb 5th
Lunch and refreshments will be provided
Course Tutors: Maths in Motion staff and Paul Wright
Cost: Free. If 20 attendees sign up for the course the usual fee of £95 will be waived.
Software cost: Primary site £199, Secondary site £399.
Other options, including home licenses are available from this link.
Course applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of places required