Peek at the Week
Mrs. Bennett's First Grade News, Week 13, November 20-21
A Note From the Teacher
- *Mark your calendars for 1st Grade Parent Math Event on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.
You are invited to the First Grade Math Event!
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Place: Mrs. Bennett's Room 106
Students will be rotating through 5 math stations. Parents are invited to join their child and learn how to do math stations you can practice at home.
*Your child can dress up for 80's day on Monday, November 20th. Here are some ideas:
This is something I found on Pinterest:
The 1980s saw a vast array of fashion developments, many of which were completely awful. That's why it's so fun to dress up from this era! Workout clothes, tacky sweaters, and the iconic '80s rock and pop stars will inspire exciting costume ideas for years to come. Check out some of these ideas:
- Track suits - Swishy fabric, bright colors, and geometric patterns.
- Sweat bands - They were put to good use. Wear with the track suit or a dance aerobics outfit.
- Cutoff sweatshirts - Think Flashdance. Throw this on over a leotard and some tights!
- Headbands - Grab a long piece of fabric and tie it around your head, leaving the tie hanging down on one side, or opt for a bandana.
- Leather and stone washed pants - The pant of choice for rockers.
- Layers - Layer up. Jacket on vest, vest on tank top, and layered necklaces.
- Cutoff sleeves - Cut the sleeves off of a t-shirt to easily achieve a rock-star shirt.
- Jackets - Leather jackets, stone-washed jackets, or vests work great; especially if they're studded, fringed, or frayed.
- Studs - Sport some studded jewelry, like arm bands and chokers. Think Billy Idol.
The Pop Star
- Leggings or leg warmers - Madonna and Cyndi Lauper popularized this look, one that is often associated with '80s style.
- Horizontal strips - Blondie and others often wore horizontally striped shirts on stage.
- Fingerless gloves - You can find lace or fishnet fingerless gloves for very cheap!
- Denim or acid-wash jackets - Do you remember brightly-colored denim acid-washed jackets?
- Shoulder pads - A regrettable trend from the past.
- Tutu skirts - Madonna often rocked tutus over her leg warmers.
- Printed, old man sweater - Something so horribly unfashionable, a hipster would wear it.
- High-waisted jeans - Fitted, but with a very high waist.
- Loafers - Call it the grandpa look.
- Floral dresses - You know, like a granny would wear.
- Oversized, knit sweaters - Emphasis on the oversized. Wear these over your floral dress.
- Granny boots - This is a thing, I promise. Just look them up; they are lace-up boots with a low, square heel and a pointed toe.
- Brooches - Pin them onto your granny sweater!
- Lace socks - These peeked out over boots, coming to about mid-calf.
All throughout, the '80s were a maximalist time, featuring big hair and lots of brightly-colored makeup. Go overboard!
*Thanksgiving Break is November 22-24.
- 12/9 Candy Cane Fun Run
Week 13 - NO SPELLING TEST
Optional Challenge Test is on Friday, December 1, 2017
Optional Challenge Test is on Friday, December 15, 2017
(We have an incredible Christmas Around the World unit for the month of December. We will learn about traditions from all over the globe!)