The Eagle's Call 🦅🎃
Friday, October 29th, 2021
From Principal Tim Huber
Announcing our Teacher and Instructional Assistant of the Year! 🎉
This week we were thrilled to reveal our Teacher of Year Dawn Zuccarini and our Instructional Assistant of the Year Heather Pew! Both were voted on by their peers to be recognized for the rest of this school year as outstanding educators. Dawn is our Lead Intervention Teacher and works tirelessly each day to ensure students are making learning leaps! Heather Pew is a 1st grade Instructional Assistant who not only serves the 1st grade team each day but also as the staff representative on the PTA board! Join me in congratulating both of these passionate Eagle educators!
Thank you for your continued support of your children and our school. Together, we will help our children SOAR to reach their greatest potential!
Student Equity Ambassadors Promote Bullying Awareness and Prevention
PTA Updates 🤝
- The PTA is now selling virtual coupon "entertainment books"! Books are $25 and good for 12 months from the date of purchase. Books include coupons which can be used nationwide! The school receives 50% from each sale which will go towards the end of year 5th grade celebration. Link to purchase: https://fundraising.entertainment.com/search_join
- November 5th Carpool Pizza from Papa Murphy's: $10 cash or $10.50 card
- November 9th PTA Meeting (6-6:45pm) and Book Fair (5-7:30pm): RSVP Required Here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49abae29a46-bookfair
- New School Spirit Wear Online Store: https://1stplacespiritwear.com/schools/NC/Raleigh/Harris+Creek+Elementary+School
- Help Stock The Teacher's Lounge! 😋 https://www.target.com/gift-registry/gift/harriscreekpta
- Join the PTA online at: https://hces.memberhub.com/store
- Follow the Harris Creek Elementary PTA Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/HarrisCreekPta
WCPSS Calendar Change 📅
Board approves Nov. 12 as non-instructional day for students and remote work day for staff
The Board of Education approved a change to the 2021-22 school calendars to extend the current Veterans Day holiday break by one day so Friday, Nov. 12 will now be a non-instructional day for all students. All employees are encouraged to work remotely on this day and should use the time to reflect and prepare for the remainder of the semester.
The district will implement this change by using banked time to ensure the required 1025 instructional hours are delivered for the 2021-22 school year. Year-round Track 3 students and staff will be tracked out on Nov. 12 so their day of reflection and preparation will be held on Nov. 15, 2021.
WCPSS Volunteer Registration
Health and Wellness Reminders ♥
NOTIFICATION REMINDER: If your child or a household member receives a positive COVID test or if they are exposed to someone with COVID, please notify your child’s teacher and an administrator right away. An administrator will reach out to assist with next steps. View wcpss.net/WhenToReturn for requirements to return after a COVID-19 diagnosis, exposure, or symptoms.
TYPES OF APPROVED FACE COVERINGS: The link to guidance on approved types of face coverings can be found here. Mask compliance (over the nose, covering mouth, under the chin) is important. You can continue to help by ensuring your child’s mask is as comfortable as possible, while meeting the criteria for an approved face covering.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our kids in school!
We're Hiring! 🏫
- 1st grade teacher, Track 4
- 4th grade teacher, Track 4
- 1st grade Instructional Assistant, Track 3
- Special Education (ECS2) Instructional Assistant, Track 4
- 5th grade teacher, Track 1, available 1/1/2022
- Kindergarten Instructional Assistant, Track 3, available 1/1/2022
How to Easily Set Your WCPSS Communication Preferences
We recognize that you may be receiving a large volume of communication and we want to make sure you always see the information you need the most!
Set your SchoolMessenger message preferences by creating a SchoolMessenger Parent account. With this account you can select what information you receive and how you would like to receive it. You can create your account by downloading the SchoolMessenger app on your mobile device or go to https://go.schoolmessenger.com/.
- Use the email address entered for your student in PowerSchool to sign up.
- Most messages from Mr. Huber and WCPSS are sent as email and text using the General School Info broadcast.
- To receive text messages, text YES to 67587.
- For more information and instructions on how to create an account, visit: https://www.wcpss.net/schoolmessenger.
Bus Transportation Information 🚌
Please use the Here Comes the Bus app (App Store or Google Play Store) to monitor the location of your student’s bus and when it is approaching his/her stop. To sign up: https://herecomesthebus.com/parents/get-started/ . The WCPSS school code for school bus tracking is 67500. You will need to use your child's student ID number as well.
You can also follow @HCESBuses on Twitter to confirm when your child's bus leaves campus each afternoon.
Upcoming Dates to Remember 📆
- October 29: Report Cards Go Home for Track 4
- Nov 2: Teacher Workday/Election Day (no school for students)
- Nov 5: PTA/Papa Murphy's Carpool Pizza Sale
- Nov 8-19: School Wide Book Fair
- November 9: PTA Meeting + Book Fair Night (6-7:30pm)
- November 10: Picture day for Virtual Academy students, Picture Makeups Tracks 1,2 & 4
- Nov 11: Veterans Day (no school for students)
- Nov 12: Teacher Workday (no school for students)
- Nov 15: Track 3 Teacher Workday (no school for Track 3 students), Track 2 students track out begins
- Nov 16: Track 3 students track in
- Nov 24-26: Thanksgiving break (no school for students)