LHS Weekly Update #21
January 8, 2021
Welcome Back Malemutes!
Be sure you are mindful of the changes to the bell schedule and understand that classes now meet 5 days per week.
If you have not already done so, complete our input form regarding your student's plans starting Feb. 1. We want to have a clear idea of who will be coming to in person school so we are fully ready to provide the safest environment that we can.
If your student is planning to come to school in person and needs transportation, you must register for the bus through this link.
Don't hesitate to reach out with questions. We are here for you.
Teachers are now marking attendance for every student every class. Attendance codes you will see in Powerschool include:
- RP = Remote Present: teachers will mark this for students who attend their Google Meet/Zoom class.
- AU = Absence Unexcused: Teachers will mark this when students do not show to their class. A parent can call front office to excuse an absence and code will be changed to AE.
- IP = In Person Present: Once we start in person school this code will be used for students physically present in the classroom.
How do I excuse an absence?
A parent can call the front office to excuse an absence within 2 school days of that absence.
Paying for college can seem like a huge obstacle to starting a new career or moving forward in your current one. It's not too late to explore your options for Spring 2021 and not too early to start planning ahead!
Join us for an online information session and get advice on paying for college through tuition assistance, grants, scholarships, loans, payment plans and more! We’ll cover the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and many types of financial aid. The new FAFSA opened October 1, 2020 and we can help you complete your application! This event is free and open to the public.
Session is Friday, January 8 from from 7:00 – 7:45 p.m.
To register, visit: http://bit.ly/CTCFAFSA
Don't Miss Your Chance to take the PSAT
Lathrop's PSAT/NMSQT is scheduled for Tuesday, January 26, 2021.
There are a limited amount of exams available this year. If you'd like to register your student for the 2020/21 PSAT/NMSQT, you must pay and register online: https://ak-fairbanksnorthstar.intouchreceipting.com/
The PSAT/NMSQT is intended for sophomores and juniors although all LHS students are eligible to take the exam.
Securly Home - a Parent Portal
Securly Home is now available to parent guardians. This is a parent portal that allows for better visibility and control over your student’s online activities when using district-issued devices.
Parents were sent an email in December with a link to sign up for this service.
If you are unable to access this email, contact email@example.com
- Live feed of your child’s activity, including websites they’re visiting and search history
- Balance time online by turning internet access on or off
- Enable push notifications and receive alerts for any flagged activity related to signs of bullying, self-harm, and other concerning content
- Weekly email report that includes a snapshot of your child’s online activity
If you would like to use this tool, there is an opt-in link below. We’ve also included other helpful information and a quick tutorial.
Informative videos on what Securly Home is and its features:
In-Person Option to start Feb. 1
If you plan to come to in person school Feb. 1 and need bus transportation, you need to register for the bus here.