Pullman Elementary, November, 2014
Staff News and Notes
- Did you know... The lease on our Macs is up at the end of the year, but the district plans to buy them out, so they will remain in with us!
- Did you know, the district is working with smart notebook to see if they can reach some agreement on an upgrade package. We'll be hopeful for news soon. We are currently not running the most up to date program and an upgrade may cost the district upward of $100,000...which was un-budgeted for. However, the district is aware that some users are coming upon problems with the old software and in order to keep using smart software with an updated mac OS, we'll have to upgrade.
- Did you know...We are currently NOT upgrading our mac OS to Yosemite, but we might be ready to make that move come the first of the year. This would finally give us the ability to airdrop from iPad to Mac! The district wants to make sure the upgrade is bug free, so they ask for your patience.
- 3/4/5 and any specialists who haven't yet joined us...can't wait to see you Nov 20th (Note the change due to the AVID visit on the 18th) at 7:40 for our tech meeting. Please bring your laptop.
Change of Plans...
I will do a general introduction to Twitter covering...
- Who do I follow?
- What do I tweet?
- What's the purpose of a hashtag?
- What are some important tech and educational hashtags?
- Why would I retweet?
I would also like to start tweeting a weekly question that you and your students can respond to (until Christmas time), as a way of practicing our new twitter skills while connecting as a Pullman community. Come to the class and learn about #PullmanConnects so you can join the "conversation"... and learn a little about Twitter in the process!
Thanksgiving Technified (Yep, I made up that word)
Virtual Field Trips and More
Coding Comes to Pullman!
check out pre made lessons at code.org.
Hour of Code
Nationwide program that provides resources so ALL students can be exposed to coding for at least one hour each year.
Non-reading app used for younger students
- Every class with have 1 hour of basic coding instruction during the Hour of Code Week at the Beginning of December (and a little before/after). I will lead the lesson, but I welcome you to join in as much as you can. If you'd like to sit down before hand to hear about the lesson, I would love to do that with your team!
- Please make sure you sign up on the schedule SIGN UP
- Think about joining the District code.org training on Dec 2nd/4th from 5:30-8. Earn CEUs/Board credit and learn how coding can help your students with teamwork, critical thinking, math, reading and science skills!
- Watch the video to learn more about coding and why it's so important for students to be exposed to this new literacy!