The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
October 15th, 2017
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
We had a great week at South! Congratulations to all of the students who participated in Friday's Student Council Elections. This week is New Jersey's Violence & Vandalism Awareness Week. Please see the notes below for details.
- Violence & Vandalism Awareness Week:
MONDAY: Being a Good Friend is No Sweat! (Sweatpants/Sweatshirt Day)
TUESDAY: Buddy Up! (Twin Day)
WEDNESDAY: Team Up Against Bullying! (Team Shirt Day)
THURSDAY: Be Someone’s HERO Outside of School!
FRIDAY: Stand Together as a School! (Black & Gold Day)
- NO SCHOOL on THURSDAY: This Thursday, school will not be in session due to both the celebration of Diwali and a Professional Development Day. School will be in session on Friday.
- SATURDAY 10/21: The PTO will be holding the annual clothing drive on Saturday from 9am - 12pm. Donations will be collected at the back of the building by the trailer. In addition, the town's Hurricane Maria Relief Collection will also be hosted at Crossroads South on the Kingston Lane side of the building. Please see the link to the HOME News article: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/high-school/baseball/2017/10/13/baseball-coach-leads-south-brunswick-school-community-relief-effort-puerto-rico/762531001/
- ATTENDANCE REMINDERS: Daily attendance in school is a critical factor in the success of your child. Please do your best to minimize the number of days your child is absent from school or is taken out early for appointments. Should your child exceed the number of acceptable days absent as determined by NJ State Law, you will receive a letter from the school.
- BUS REMINDERS: Please note: Students are NOT allowed to ride any other busses, even if a parent gives permission. The transportation department does not allow this practice, as they cannot plan for additional students riding our already full busses.
- 10/16 - NJ Violence & Vandalism Awareness Week
- 10/16 - Education Foundation of SB - Taste for Education Event 6pm
- 10/17 - PTO Meeting 7pm
- 10/19 - NO SCHOOL - Professional Development/Diwali
- 10/21 - PTO Clothing Drive & Hurricane Maria Relief Event
- 10/23 - BOE Meeting @ South 7pm
- 10/27 - 6th Grade Social
- 10/31 - HALLOWEEN
- 11/1 - Picture Day Make-ups
- 11/2 - 8th Grade Vo-Tech Trip
- 11/6 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/7 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/8 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/9 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA
- 11/10 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA
- 11/13 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/15 - PTO Meeting @ South 7pm
- 11/16 - "NIGHT UNDER THE LIGHTS" - Football Game 6pm
- 11/20 - BOE Meeting 7pm
- 11/22 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Thanksgiving Weekend
- 11/23 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 11/24 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- ACADEMIC GROWTH: We will always focus on our curriculum and instruction for the purpose of moving students forward. Staff will engage in professional learning to improve learning for all students.
- CULTURE/CLIMATE: The place and space in which we work is critical to success. Our goal is to create schools where students are excited to come to everyday! As part of the social/emotional wellness of our students, our school has engaged in the critical work of assessing our school culture and climate in terms of positive behavioral supports and anti-bullying. Our over-arching focus has been and will continue to be...RESPECT - Respect Yourself, Respect Each Other, and Respect our Environment. In addition, we will focus on the importance of attendance. Every day counts!!
VERTICAL ARTICULATION: Being in the middle is never easy. We can often feel squeezed from both sides. The goal of Vertical Articulation is to ensure the safe and methodical passage of our students throughout the three distinct levels in the district; elementary, middle, and high. Our teachers have already begun the work of aligning practice, curriculum, and expectations for this very purpose and we will continue to study the ways we can create even more smooth transitions.