Jan. 29th, 2018 Pony News
On the Side of Hope!
Because of you, our Ponies have HOPE. THANK YOU!
THE ADMIN. TEAM
Restorative Discipline Practices - An Approach to Support Us with Our Discipline Challenges!
A Minute with the LASes
TIME TO UPDATE ...
MIDDLE OF THE YEAR LEP STUDENT FORMS
Almost all of you have at least one Bilingual or ESL student in your class. We have observed many strategies that you are using to support them, and we need you to keep record of that support. Since we are required to document the linguistic accommodations provided during the year, LISD Learning and Teaching Department has uploaded a form to Aware (for each Bilingual/ESL student) and made a video explaining how and when to use it (at the beginning, the middle, and the end of the school year). REMEMBER - If you have a new student, you will need to add the form for them and only complete the middle of year section. THANK YOU!!! And if you have any questions or need help with this, please let us know.
RALLY FOR THIS WEEK
Please click on the link to see the sequence of the Rally!
Ms. Yvette Bernal will be sharing with the students about Alabama.
4th & 5th grade teachers send rally students at the following times:
4th grade teachers send students @2:15 p.m. to the gym
5th grade teachers send students @2:10 p.m. to the kinder hall
3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade Problem-Solving Program
Congratulations to the 28 students who received Imagine Learning certificates during their awards ceremonies last Friday. These students passed 30+ lessons just since October when we began Imagine Learning for this school year. Extra praise goes to three (3) fourth grade students for the extra time and effort they've devoted to passing lessons in this on-line problem-solving program:
- Isabel Marbot (Ms. Bernal's class) - 96 lessons passed
- Bobby Nelson (Ms. Bernal's class) - 80 lessons passed
- Antonella Almendarez (Mrs. Speer's class) - 78 lessons passed
Thank you for supporting this program, and for continuing to encourage your students to pass their Imagine Learning (TTM) lessons.
As of 1-26-18, our students passed a total of 4,481 lessons.
No Tardy Taters Program
Mrs. Wier's 2nd grade class received their 3rd certificate.
Mrs. Huerta's 5th grade class received their 3rd certificate.
Encourage your students to come to school on time each day. Ten (10) days (cumulative, not consecutive) of no tardies earns your class a certificate and a small treat. Display your Mr./Ms. Potato Head in a prominent place for all students to see, and be sure to post your certificates proudly. :-)
Reminder: This program is simply about coming to school on time...not being tardy; it does not include absences. Let me know when your class has earned their certificate and treat, and I'll place them in your mailbox, or deliver them directly to your classroom. :-)
Student of the Month
Click here to see the students of the month for each grade level. If you have not submitted your student, please do so by Wednesday, January 31st.
The four components in the pre-A lesson plan build essential literacy skills for the pre-A reader. Visual discrimination and memory (working with names and letters), phonological and phonemic awareness (working with sounds), oral language, and
concepts about print (working with books) are integral goals of each lesson. The final component, interactive writing, brings together many of the skills taught in the previous components.
To support the teacher in planning for the appropriate components of a Pre-A guided reading lesson, a lesson plan is provided on Appendix E of the resource.
Feel free to stop by and make a copy to help with your Pre-A readers!
Remember that if you have a student that is not making progress, we need to begin the RTI process. Together, as a committee, we can brainstorm interventions and strategies to help the student.
Senate Bill 1153 requires:
- Notifications of RtI meetings and results of the meetings
Notifying parents of their rights
- Transparency of all RtI records
Please click here to access the RTI referral and notification letters.
Monday January 29th
- College Ready Rally 2:20-2:45 pm
- College/U shirt Day
- AWARDS: *1st @ 8:00
- 5th Teachers- Science Academy
- Multilingual Coordinator
- Math & Science ACT
Tuesday January 30th
- AWARDS: *Kinder @ 8:00
- PLC in DataHub
- Inst. Tech. ACT
Wednesday January 31st
- Dress for Success Day
- Science, Math & LA ACT
- **************************** TELPAS training 3:15
Thursday February 1st
- *****************NO TUTORING- DR. ROGERS VISIT 3:15-4:15 pm
- K-3rd Istation Reading, Writing Sample Window BEGINS
- 4th-5th Istation Reading & No writing sample Window BEGINS
- LA 3-5 ACT
Friday February 2nd
- Wear Red
- Kinder WTW/PASP Inventory window ENDS
- K-2nd Math MOY Universal Screenings window ENDS
Soup-er Bowl” staff luncheon
Staff Shout Outs
- Mr. Reed- Thank you for covering my class last week!
- Ms. Y. Bernal- Thank you for making sure 4th is prepared for the next 9 weeks and sharing your hard work!
- Ms. Burleson for always sharing your amazing ideas!
- Mrs. Sinnott - for helping me stay on track and on time!
- Marla Rodriguez- Thank you for cleaning out the microwave!!!! You're awesome!
- Mrs. Dickinson for being an awesome sub in my room on the half day!
- Mrs. Holder for covering my duty.
- Mrs. Rockne for always willing to assist in any capacity!
- Mrs. Wallace for being flexible and patient.
- Ms. Taylor (our cafeteria manager) & her staff for their team work & collaboration.
- Mrs. Vando thank you for being my thinking partner & getting extra desks.
- Ms. Kilam for her encouraging emails!
- Mrs. Lopez for her positive feedback!
- To all of our male teachers for having a pep talk with one of our students (Mr. Colon,Mr. Anderson, Mr. Dixon, Mr. Reed, Coach W., Coach Green, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Perez). Thank you for taking the time to plant a seed of HOPE!
- To all of our amazing Paraprofessionals for supporting us with the CBA's! (You ALL rock!!!)
- Mrs. Sinnott, thank you for always being so positive and encouraging!
- Any staff member who helped with small group testing - y’all are greatly appreciated!
- Mrs. Burleson for always being willing to help!!
- Whoever scanned my CBA scantrons while I was out! Thank you! :)
Click here to submit your Shout Out.