The Cub Friday Facts!
Sedro-Woolley High School Parents & Families
January 26, 2023
NO SCHOOL FRIDAY 1-27-2023!
UPCOMING TESTING INFORMATION!
ACCUPLACER TEST will be on 2/16at 7:55am in the Library. This test is used for entry placement for colleges.
PSAT FOR 10TH GRADE will be on 2/23 at 7:55am in the gym. All 10th graders take this.
ASVAB TEST will be on 3/8 at 7:55am in the Library. If you are joining the Military after high school, this is a placement test for your recruitment.
STAMP TEST will be on 3/9 at 7:55am in the Library. Bilingual students can earn 4 credits with this test.
Dear Families, please talk to your students about using the crosswalks when crossing Third Street between the A building and the C Building and Gym. When you do not use the crosswalks, you put yourself at a greater risk of being hit by drivers backing out of parking spaces along Third Street or who may not expect you to be crossing the street. Please do your part in keeping our campus safe. Thank you!
SENIOR PARENTS! WE NEED HELP!
We are still looking for more help with work in the concession stands. The concession stand is a Senior fundraiser. The money that is raised goes for prom night and to send our students on Senior Grad night trip! All that is needed to work the concession stand is a food handlers permit. Link here ~ https://www.foodworkercard.wa.gov/
It is pretty easy to get. Just print and bring with you on the nights that you sign up for working in the concession stands! Below are the links for all events on sign-up genius that we need help working the stand!
Girls Basketball~~ https://m.signupgenius.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR3kU_35HBqWMweklC4xNQV2xqI3AfxXryyUHQl5cmIZhcGKtK6GF7uQSsA#!/showSignUp/10c0e4aa4ab2aa5fcc52-swhs1
Boys Basketball~~ https://m.signupgenius.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR1RPvu8iSo-EXU-3M0-UueeJaexDPJ1v2j6CvgF2JlLCjpk9RAFi8jumoo#!/showSignUp/10c0e4aa4ab2aa5fcc52-swhs
Girls Wrestling~~ https://m.signupgenius.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR1-bHqtdrBEbJJn_rMYDilkIoYv0enDaXPMqX5VKSPIEGPDReX3PHdUYCI#!/showSignUp/10c0e4aa4ab2aa5fcc52-swhs3
Boys Wrestling~~ https://m.signupgenius.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR2M1117EcFG98Y5nT8UG-97BHaRLeob-4XiHvyU9KAquJIbgOxOds7AyYY#!/showSignUp/10c0e4aa4ab2aa5fcc52-swhs2
Steelclaw~~ We will have some dates coming in February!
What is Senior Grad Night you might be wondering?!?
Our Graduating class of 2023 are loaded on a bus right after graduation, and go on a night of fun planned by the Senior Parent Group board members! The event is supervised and the graduates are to be picked up the following morning (more details will be sent later). This is a event that is a surprise for all students, so only the board members are aware of where they will be headed for the night. There is a senior drop box in the main office that students can put their $25 deposit in to secure their spot for the trip. Our goal is to send all students on grad night for only $25!
Please feel free to go onto Facebook and follow our parent group page (Sedro-Woolley High School Class of 2023) that is one spot where a lot of information is listed.
Senior Class Board Members
TEEN DROP-IN CENTER AT THE Y!
Does your student need something fun to do or somewhere fun to go after school? Check out the Sedro-Woolley Rec Center here in town at 802 Ball Street. This rec facility has a variety of enrichment and social activities available for youth ages 12-17.
The Rec Center has the following features and is open Mondays through Fridays from 2:30pm to 6:30pm:
▪ An art center
▪ Video games (Xbox/PS4/Wii) and tabletop games (ping-pong, pool, and foosball tables)
▪ Comfy chairs and couches for relaxing
▪ A food pantry with plenty of snacks
▪ A quiet study/reading room and high speed internet (perfect for school projects)
The following resources and enrichment opportunities will also be offered at the Rec Center:
▪ Adulting skills (ex. writing a resume, interview skills, financial skills)
▪ Homework help and academic assistance
What a great place to be!
802 Ball St, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE FOR SENIORS!
▪ BECU Foundation Scholarship ~ 1/31
▪ KPMG Future Leaders Scholarship ~ 1/31
▪ SWHS Class of 1971 Scholarship ~ 1/31
▪ Dan L. Barron Trade Scholarship ~ 1/31
▪ Seattle-Nantes Sister City Association ~ 2/1
▪ Elks National Foundation Legacy Awards ~ 2/6
▪ Washington State Employees Credit Union Schol. ~ 2/13
▪ Hispanic Scholarship Fund ~ 2/15
▪ Scholarships for Military Children ~ 2/15
▪ Sedro-Woolley Community Scholarship ~ 2/20
▪ Association for Computer Professionals in Education (ACPE) Scholarships ~ 2/20
▪ Sedro-Woolley Community Church Scholarship ~ 2/20
▪ Albert Lee Wright, Jr. Memorial Migrant Scholarship ~ 2/23
▪ Washington State Opportunity Scholarship ~ 2/28
▪ Robert J. Handy/WSSR Foundation/Gene Forrester Memorial Scholarships ~ 3/1
▪ Skagit Valley College Foundation Scholarships ~ 3/1
▪ Washington State School Retirees Association Schol. ~ 3/1
▪ Local 12-591 Fallen Worker's Scholarship & Grant ~ 3/1
▪ Skagit County Benevolent Assoc. (Anne Jackson & Erick Valenzuela) ~ 3/1 postmarked
▪ PSE SEIU Local 1948 Dependent Scholarship ~ 3/1
▪ American Indian Endowed Scholarship ~ 3/1
▪ State Elks WSEA Vocational Grant Scholarship Award ~ 3/3
▪ Cancer Unwrapped Writing Contest ~ 3/3
▪ Sisu Children's Fund Scholarship ~ 3/4
▪ Ewing C. Kelly Scholarship ~ 3/10
▪ Truman D. Picard Scholarship Program ~ 3/11
▪ Elks- Roger Bengamin Vocational Grant ~ 3/13
▪ The Fidalgo/San Juan Island Chapter of Puget Sound Anglers Scholarship ~ 3/15 postmarked
▪ Sedro-Woolley Soroptimist International Scholarship ~ 3/17
▪ The Sub Pop Loser Scholarship ~ 3/23
▪ Skagit Venture Club Scholarship ~ 3/25
▪ Combat Veterans International Chapter 1 Scholarship ~ 3/31
▪ Washington State Snowmobile Association Schol. ~ 3/31
▪ The DReim BIG Scholarship Fund- PFLAG Skagit ~ 3/31
▪ Washington Masonic Charities Scholarships ~ 3/31
▪ The Seattle Foundation ~ Various dates in March
▪ FBLA Scholarships ~ Various dates
To submit your scholarship applications, email (only) Ms. Rodriguez to this special email address:
Students may also email this special email address if they have questions or concerns about scholarship applications.
The Dan L. Barron Trades Scholarship will provide two seniors with $5,000 to attend Bellingham Technical College! Plumbers, Electricians and HVAC Technicians are always in high demand! For every 5 retiring, just 1 is entering the trade. It’s time to change the definition of success and how to achieve it!
▪ Apply now @ https://www.barronheating.com/about/community-involvement/trades-scholarship
▪ Applications are due 1/31
SWHS TARDY POLICY!
Students need to be on time for all of their classes!
Discipline for excessive tardies will be determined based on the combined total number of tardies in all of their classes.
Discipline will be assigned as follows:
4th tardy: 30 minutes of detention
5th tardy: 30 minutes of detention
6th tardy: 30 minutes of detention & parent meeting
7th tardy and beyond: determined on an individual basis
11 Tolo - Formal, "Sweetheart" theme / Valentines
17 No School
20 No School
27 ASB Election packets out
2 1/2 Day/ Conferences
3 1/2 Day/Pres Apps Due
10 ASB Speeches and Recognition Assembly/Voting
13 General ASB apps out
17 General ASB apps due
24 Senior Meeting/General Election Voting