Third Grade Buzzzz...
Happenings in Mrs. Paluch's Class!
April 11, 2016
Yeah!!! PARRC testing is over!!! The kids did an awesome job!! Now we can get back into our regular schedule!!
"WOW! Mrs. Paluch, how did you make this Brain Juice?"
"Whatever is in it, seems to have really helped! My brain feels juicier"
"It's only water. There is no such thing as Brain Juice!"
ELA- (English/Language Arts)
Unit 3 Module A
We will be reading the book, Storm in the Night
Reading Essential Question: How do readers determine the central message, lesson, or moral of a story?
Writing Essential Question: How do writers support a point of view when writing an opinion?
Focus This Week:
- Describe characters and explain how their actions transmit experiences.
- Determine the central message in the book, Storm in the Night by looking at the key details in the text.
- We will compare and contrast characters in Knots on a Counting Rope and Storm in the Night.
- We will start to read our next story, Paul Bunyan. We will learn to tell the difference between our own points of view and a storyteller's or character's point of view.
- R-Controlled Vowels- when a vowel is followed by an -r, it makes a special sound. I call this "Bossy R"
- Create an organizational structure. We will do OREO writing to help us to give our reasons and examples. See picture below.
- Use linking words and phrases to connect our ideas.
Our opinion writing is focused on writing opinions about the stories we are reading.
- Use adjectives to describe nouns.
- Form comparative and superlative adjectives to describe how people and things look, sound, smell, feel or act.
Lessons this week:
- Collect Data and Record Data
- Draw scaled picture graphs
- Draw scaled bar graphs
Homework This Week
Monday 4/11- None
Tuesday 4/12- 12.1
Wednesday 4/13- 12.2
Thursday 4/14 12.3
Below is a link to a good website with a lot of math games! We are currently working on measurement, but they should continue to work on multiplication/division and fractions too!
We are waiting for our next science unit to arrive!
April 11- Raging Waves Due
April 11-15- LRC Book Sale- We will visit the Book Sale on Tuesday and Friday
April 12- Chipotle Night 4:00-8:00
April 14- Book Orders Due
April 17- Aurora Skate Family Fun Night 5-7
April 20- Open Gym for 2nd and 3rd graders 6:45
April 27- 3rd Grade Musical
May 4- Ride Your Bike to School!