A Message From the Principal
Hello Madison Families!
Believe it or not, March, here we come! March is always a busy and exciting time to be in school and I’m looking forward to this time with you and each of the students. It was wonderful to see all of the families come through for conferences. The partnership we have with you is invaluable. Thank you for your time and dedication, always.
Read Across America
We are currently in the middle of our Read Across America week which is filled with a love for books. It’s amazing to watch the students fall in love with new books and share stories of old ones. Thank you for promoting the love of reading in your home and always being your child’s first teacher. Throughout March we will be completing our “March Madness of Books” tournament in which we will be voting on our favorite books that we listen to each morning. It’s bound to be an exciting battle!
March and April are particularly exciting in grades 3-5 as those students showcase their growth and learning not only from this year but the previous ones in our Wisconsin FORWARD Exam. Our teachers are working hard to find schedules that best suit the needs of the students while still holding to our high expectations of learning time. If you have any questions regarding the test please reach out - I would be happy to meet with you!
Forward Exam Information for Families Brochure
MPSD Referendum Information
As you probably know, the MPSD is going to hold a referendum in April. This referendum would directly impact the Madison building and the students. The district has added a wide range of information on the referendum that can be found on the district website. There are two information sessions that you are able to attend.
March 8 - 6:30 p.m. - Wilson Middle School - Auditorium
March 16 - 6:30 p.m. - Central Office - Board Room
- Monday March 6th - Thursday, March 30th - Dental Clinic
- Sunday, March 12th - Daylight Savings Time
- Monday, March 13th - Spring Referendum Q&A with Superintendent Feil /PTO Meeting 5:30pm in the Madison library
- Friday, March 17th - St Patrick's Day
- Monday, March 20th - Friday, March 24th - No school; Spring Break
- Friday, March 31st - Book for a Buck during lunch hour; please allow your student(s) to bring up to $3 to purchase gently used books to support our PTO.
The Reading Corner
Hello Cougar Families!
I would like to take this month’s memo as an opportunity to advertise for all the fun events we have planned for Read Across America Week! Below you will find a list of dress up days and activities. A copy will be coming home as well. We are so excited to celebrate a love reading with your child! We would also like to extend a most sincere thank you to all the students who attended reading club and participated in nightly reading as part of the Tundra Tales Reading Program. Well done!
Fun facts about march
Did you know that March is National Umbrella Month? Here are some more wacky things to celebrate this month:
- March 3: What If Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day
- March 11: International Fanny Pack Day
- March 13: National Ear Muff Day
- March 16: National Panda Day
- March 16: Absolutely Incredible Kid Day
- March 23: World Meteorological Day
- March 31: World Backup Day
Youth Art Month
March is Youth Art Month! To celebrate the fine arts in our public schools, the MPSD is once again collaborating with the Rahr West Art Museum to bring “Youth Art Series” to our community! The exhibition is composed of nearly 1,000 works of art by student artists in elementary, middle, and high school. Artwork of every media can be viewed: painting, ceramics, sculpture, printmaking, collage, fibers, digital media, photography, and animation. Immerse yourself in the creativity and energy of our local youth artists by viewing the exhibit from March 5th through April 2nd. A casual reception open to the public to honor and recognize the MPSD’s aspiring visual artists will take place on Sunday, March 5th from 1:00 - 4:00pm.
The Rahr-West Art Museum is a City of Manitowoc facility. There is no fee for admission. Donations are gratefully accepted.
- Spring Referendum Q&A with Superintendent Feil /PTO Meeting - Monday, March 13th, 5:30pm in the Madison library.
- Culver’s Dine to Donate fundraiser - Wednesday, March 15th, 4-7pm
- Book for a Buck - Friday, March 31st, during lunch periods students will have the opportunity to purchase a book for one dollar. Money can be given to their teacher before day of event, max $3.
Help for the Homeless Hygiene Drive
The Start of Spring
The March equinox occurs on Monday, March 20, 2023. In the Northern Hemisphere, this is known as the vernal, or spring, equinox and marks the start of the spring season. In the Southern Hemisphere, autumn begins.
At this time, the Sun crosses the celestial equator on its way north. Also on this day, the Sun rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west—a good thing to know if you get lost in the woods.