September Parent Newsletter
Barack Obama School of Leadership and STEM
This is our first Parent Newsletter for the 2021-22 school year. Mrs. Hollimon and I are happy that your scholar will be a part of Barack this year.
All of us at Barack Obama School of Leadership and STEM are eager and excited to begin what promises to be the best year ever. This year is going to be amazing as we continue to provide academic experiences for our students that are rigorous, relevant, and help them build relationships while making real-world connections. As your Principal, it is important to me that everyone who steps through our doors: teachers, students and parents, are excited to be here! This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic excellence in a positive, fun, and nurturing environment. My door is always open and I welcome your input. Please feel free to call or email me to discuss any concerns you might have throughout the school year.
I look forward to working with you as a team to help each scholar at Barack meet their goals and have a successful school year!
With Pride, Dignity and Respect!!
Mrs. Veneeta Phelps, Principal
Mrs. Muriel McClam-Hollimon, Assistant Principal
Important Dates to Remember!
Please go to
Innovation Class Selection Link:
to register for Innovation Classes. 4th graders register for 4 classes and 5th graders register for 2 classes. If the scholar chooses Band or Orchestra- they only select one class because Band and Orchestra are full year courses.
2. No School - Monday, September 6th in observance of Labor Day
3. Innovation Classes begin Tuesday, September 7th
3. IAR Testing begins for all students - Wednesday - Friday, September 8 - 10, 2021
4. Virtual Open House - Thursday, September 9th @ 6:30 pm. Zoom info on flyer below.
5. Summer Packet Celebration - Friday, September 10th
6. Monthly Ward 1 Community Meeting and Giveaway - Saturday, September 11th @ 11 am
7. First PTO Meeting - Tuesday, September 14th @ 6:30 pm - Virtual
8. Band and Orchestra Night, Thursday, September 16th - 5 pm - 7 pm. Time to rent band and orchestra equipment for the year!
9. iReady Testing for all students - September 13 - 17, 2021
10. Early Release - Thursday, September 23rd @ 12:30 pm
11. Midterms will be sent home - Friday, September 24th
12. Monthly School Board Meeting - Monday, September 27th @ 7 pm
Important Information for Parents
2. Some of our scholars have been wearing tops with spaghetti straps. Please have a jacket or sweater to wear with those kinds of tops.
3. Because our scholars participate in gym and recess, it is important that the scholars skirts and shorts be at least finger tip length to the knee. Please refer to the Parent Student Handbook for guidelines. Your cooperation is appreciated.
4. Scholars that are walkers or car riders should arrive no later 8:20 am. Tardies will begin Tuesday, September 7th. We know everyone is getting acclimated to the schedule again so we will give grace as you as you transport your child. We ask that you call us if you are running late at 708-668-9100.
5. Please have your scholar bring a reusable water bottle to school daily. We have filtered water fountains for them use.