Companionship in Frankenstein
a feeling of fellowship or friendship.
The need for a companion is a central theme in Frankenstein. The creature's need of friendship is a driving force for what happens in the novel. His lack of a companion makes him so miserable that he vows revenge on Victor for creating him.
We can start to see companionship as a theme in Walton's letters to his sister.
1. "I have no friend, Margaret: when I am glowing with the enthusiasm of success, there will be none to participate my joy." (Letter 2, page 4)
Walton is lonely and his successes will not be as joyous as they would be if he could share them with somebody.
2. "We are unfashioned creatures, but half made up, if one wiser, better, dearer than ourselves -- such a friend ought to be -- do not lend his aid to perfectionate our weak and faulty natures." (Letter 4)
This quotes explains that human beings need other people to help complete themselves.
Most quotes about companionship come from the creature.
3. "When I looked around I saw and heard of none like me. Was I, the, a monster, a blot upon the earth from which all men fled and whom all men disowned?" (Ch. 13)
The creature can feel that every hates him because of his appearance. Because of this, he feels like a monster.
4. "But where were my friends and relations? No father had watched my infant days, no mother had blessed me with smiles and caresses; or if they had, all my past life was now a blot, a blind vacancy in which I distinguished nothing." (Ch. 13)
Here, the creature goes over the fact that he has nobody in this world. Not even a family that has been with him since he was a child.
5. "I am alone and miserable: man will not associate with me; but one as deformed and horrible as myself would not deny herself to me. My companion must be of the same species and have the same defects." (Ch. 16)
This is the creature's request for a mate. He realizes that he will not be accepted by mankind, so he wants Victor to create someone who would be treated the same way as him. This way he is not alone in his struggles.
6. "You must create a female for me with whom I can live in the interchange of those sympathies necessary for my being." (Ch. 17)
This is a straightforward quote form the monster. He claims that everyone needs somebody to sympathize with in order to live.
Importance of companionship
Friends help us get through life, especially during the bad parts.