Spencer Elementary WATCH D.O.G.S
Information from our meeting and for becoming a Watch DOG
What are WATCH D.O.G.S.?
WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, an educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. There are two primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. program:
1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is essential.
2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
Who Are WatchDOGS?
WatchDOGS are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. During the day, WatchDOGS may read and work on flash cards with students, play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their students but other students as well.
- Fathers get a glimpse of their students’ everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing.
- Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life.
- Students gain positive male role models.
- Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears.
What does a typical day look like as a Watch DOG?
Where do I get my Official WatchDOGS t-shirt?
Please CLICK HERE to be directed to the WatchDOG online uniform shop.
If you do not have a WatchDOG shirt or are not able to purchase one, we certainly don't want this to detour you from volunteering in this program. We would love to have you join your child(ren) for the day. Please let us know; we can work something out.
How do I sign up?
- First, complete your volunteer background check through Brighton Area Schools. This must be done annually. Click HERE to complete the background check paperwork.
- Once your background check is done, you can sign up for a Watch DOG day on the Signup Genius calendar found by clicking HERE.