OVS Middle School Newsletter
6th - 8th grade
- Tuesday, November 24------- NO IN-PERSON/F2F Learning--Learners will be engaged in Online Support Sessions from 9-11 AM
- November 25-27-----------------No School- Thanksgiving Break
- December 2nd @ 2pm -------Wednesdays with Wendy (see below)
- December 3rd @ 12:15------- Parent workshop on Anxiety (see below)
- December 11th -------------------End of 2nd Quarter
- Dec 14-Jan 4th -------------------Winter break- No school
- January 5th-------------------------School Resumes-ALL online only (see below)
Information from Dr. Loewenstein
Snow Day/Inclement weather days
On Snow day/inclement weather days middle school students will follow our typical Friday schedule, which includes:
- Online support sessions from 2:15-3:15.
- Students can work in K12 according to the pacing guide.
2nd semester start
This week, Omaha Public Schools announced that the district will begin the second semester of this school year with a phased return in-person.
- Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021: All students begin with remote instruction. Students will have access to 2nd semester courses.
- Week of Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021: Students return to blended learning*
*We will send out a new survey in January for families to inform OVS if they plan to stay online or return to blended on the week of January 19th.
Wednesdays with Wendy
I will hold an online meeting with parents on Wednesday, December 2nd at 2pm. Information to join the meeting is below. We will be focused on what went well this semester and what we (OVS staff) can do to support you and your learner(s) at the beginning of 2nd semester.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 402-509-3892,,162901950# United States, Omaha
Phone Conference ID: 162 901 950#
- PRIZES!!! There will be classroom competitions, Top 3 sellers, and drawings for each student who sells 5 bags of coffee (1 entry for every 5 bags sold and unlimited entries).
- Please check your email for your student's Seller Number. That is how we will identify who sold what.
- You can use the paperless form or the online store. We recommend the paperless form for local sales because the school gets a bigger percentage of the sales.
Link to the paperless form here (Partner ID is: 1539c).
Link to the online store is here.
Check out the our YouTube channel for a quick video tutorial that can answer your question.
If you do not see what you need here, feel free to email the Middle School teachers with additional or specific questions.
The weeks are flying by! Hard to believe that next week is Thanksgiving break with the temperatures being so wonderful outside. This week in class students worked on a STEM challenge making catapults. Corks were flying everywhere at the end of each class. Student commented that they loved the lesson - so that's a win!
In online lessons I'm giving students time to catch up with support. With some students behind and others finished with their courses, this seems to be what students need. In Global studies online lessons students are learning how to use Google Earth.
As students finish their courses, I am happy to supplement their learning with extra fun projects if they wish. They can email me if they would like to participate. They can also take the time to finish their other courses. I'm here to help either way!
Enjoy the break next week!
Online Lesson Changes!
This week went relatively smoothly with our transition to Microsoft Teams for all online lessons. I appreciate everyone's understanding and flexibility with this shift. It proved to be very positive as we were all able to communicate clearly in the sessions.
We are in the stretch run for the semester. Keep encouraging your learners to complete their work and reach out to me when needed.
Keep reaching out for help as needed. Besides the Monday and Friday at 2:15, I am willing to schedule additional 30-minute sessions for individual assistance as my schedule allows. We are in this together and will do whatever is needed for student success.
2 + 2
Week in Review
6th graders are working on their research paper on animal intelligence. This week we learned how to do in-text citations and made the shell of a Works Cited page. This will help learners properly give credit where credit is due. Learners should be taking notes over what they are learning in their lessons and using these notes and new skills to complete this writing assessment. Please check in on their progress on their research paper. You will be the final editors!
7th graders are beginning their own research report. They will research either a scientist or something related to the field of science. Learners should take good notes over what they are learning in their lessons as they will apply their new skills to the writing of this report.
8th graders are beginning to think about writing and delivering a speech. The topic they choose should be something they know a lot about as the purpose is not to spend a lot of time researching, but more time thinking about how to effectively deliver their information. Please ensure your learner is taking good notes over their lessons as this is where they are learning the critical elements of any good speech.
Learners in Computer Apps are playing around in PowerPoint and learning how to use the version on their iPad. This will come in handy for their final project for the semester.
We have 2 + 2. Two days and two weeks to complete all of our work for the semester. Is your learner on pace to finish successfully? Do they have work completed up to this point? Are they learning and turning in quality work?
Please help them end the semester on a good note by encouraging good time management. Help them reduce stress by making and using a schedule. We are in the final push! We can do this!
If you have questions at ANY TIME, don’t hesitate to reach out to any of us. We are here to help!
Counseling Sessions Now Available!
- Areas of Interest
- Questions/Concerns so far this year?