By: Joyce Huang
- Used in: water sealent, computer chips, solar cells, glass, sand, creamics, human skeletons.
- Why is it important: It is the seventh most abundant element in the universe, and the second most abundant element on Earth.
- Crimes: Has been caught mixed with oxygen to make SiO2 which is used in many different things, including sand.
- Chemical symbol: Si
- Also known as: Acide Orthosilicique, Dioxyde de Silicium, Orthosilicic Acid, Phytolithic Silica, Polysilicone-11, Si, Silica, Silica Hydride, Silice Hydride, Silicea, Silicio, Silicium, Silicium de Sodium, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Silicate.
- Named after Latin root "silex" meaning flint
- Common names: silica, silicone dioxide
- Color: Grey in solid, room temp form
- Atomic mass: 28.0855
- Atomic number: 14
- Solid at room temp.
- Looks glassy and is mostly transparent and translusent.
- Melting point: 1410 degrees Celsius.
- Boiling point: 2355 degrees Celsius.
- Carbon group
Report of first arrest
Though silicon(Si) is very stable, if it is mixed with oxygen(O2), silicon dioxide(SiO2) is formed. Silicon mixed with nitrogen(N2) makes 2SiN. Silicon mixed with 2N2 makes Si3N4.
Silicon. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print. -book
www.chemicalelements.com - pic of atom
www.buzzle.com - pic of element symbol
pcwallart.com- pic of sand