The Abrams Panther ROAR
Parent Newsletter, April 21, 2023
Happy April Everyone, spring is in the air! Students have loved being outside in the mornings and being able to start their day playing outside!
This week at Abrams, students from Mrs. Day's 3rd grade class and the Abrams student council were able to participate in a tree dedication ceremony in honor of Arbor Day that was planted out in Abrams front lawn. The students loved being a part of the dedication ceremony!
We have many end of the year activities coming up for students and families. Please check out the flyers below for detailed information about the events.
Please be sure to contact us with any needs or questions. We look forward to all that is to come in the remainder of this school year and the opportunity to work with each of you and help our students continue to learn and grow.
Thank you all for your continued support,
Lois Skaggs and Savannah Smith
Mark your Calendars!
- April 25- Family Night 4-6 PM
- April 26 - Ft. Carson Black Start Exercise - NO AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
- April 24- April 27- BOGO Book Fair
- April 28- NO SCHOOL for Students!
- May 1- NO SCHOOL
- May 2- STEM Competition
- May 4- May the 4th be with you day- dress like Star Wars
- May 4- Coffee and Conversation
- May 2-5th- TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
- May 11 & 12- Field Day
- May 15- Last Day to submit OOD/OOZ enrollment request
- May 24- Kindergarten Graduation
- May 26- 5th grade Continuation
- May 26- Early Dismissal/ Last Day of School!
Month of the Military Child Spirit Week
SAVE THE DATE!!!
Summer Learning Institute Information
The 2023 Summer Learning Institute (summer school) registration is now open! This program is open to all registered 2022-2023 K-12 students. Students will learn in person from:
· Elementary School: June 12 – July 6, 2023 (Monday – Thursday)
- Locations: Aragon and Mountainside Elementary Schools
· Middle School: June 12 – July 7, 2023 (Monday – Friday)
- Location: Fountain Middle School
· High School:
- Location: Fountain Middle School:
· Session 1: June 12 – June 27, 2023
· Session 2: June 28 – July 14, 2023
· No school on June 19th or July 4th in observance of Juneteenth and Independence Day.
· 8 AM - 12 PM
The deadline to register your student is May 31, 2023
Please contact your student's current school of attendance for more information or visit our website at www.ffc8.org
OOD/OOZ and Kindergarten enrollment
Applications for Out-of-District and Out-of-Zone enrollment for next year are now being accepted. ALL returning students who live outside of our school district or outside of our attendance zone (4000 quarters) must apply every year for consideration for continuing enrollment. last day to submit enrollment is May 15th.
Out of Zone request-
Out of District request-
If you have an incoming kindergarten student for next year, the following forms must be filled out as soon as possible and turned in to our front office.
- ALL new out-of-district and out-of-zone requests must be received prior to May 15, 2023.
- The above documents are required and will be used for planning purposes for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Forms must be turned in to the school you wish to attend.
- Parents will be notified prior to the end of the school year regarding enrollment acceptance for out-of-zone and out-of-district requests.
- Enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year will begin online on June 1, 2023; required in-person registration will occur in the fall prior to the start of school.
We love our students, and know that they do best with their learning when they attend school consistently. That being said, we do recognize that illness, appointments, etc. will occur.
Here are some clarifying reminders about our attendance policies.
The following are excused absences:
• Personal illness (if illness exceeds three consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required)
• Death of a relative
• Observance of a religious holiday
• Military block leave- up to 5 school days (with a copy of military orders)
• Doctor, dental, and therapy appointments with proper documentation (If possible, please schedule such appointments after school hours) These are marked unexcused until the note is provided to our front office staff.
• Emergency situations- such cases may be approved by the administration on an individualized basis
Please note that all absences beyond those listed above are considered unexcused.
**For additional information, refer to D8 Board Policy JH or the Abrams Parent Handbook.
If you have any questions/concerns about your child's health and whether they should attend school, please don't hesitate to reach out to Nurse Sheryll.
April Lunch Menu
Cold Weather Recess Guidelines
Please be sure that your children are dressed to play outside, with hats, coats, mittens or gloves, and appropriate footwear.
If the temperature is too cold for outside play, students will come directly into the building in the morning before school. In the case of inclement weather at dismissal, we will follow the inclement weather procedures listed below.
Abrams Elementary School Inclement Weather Dismissal Procedures
In the event of inclement weather, including any of the following:
· lightning danger
· extreme winds
· extreme cold
· large amounts of precipitation
Abrams students will be dismissed at the end of the day by the following procedures:
· Bus Students: These students will be escorted to the buses by staff members as long as it is safe to do so.
· Kindergarten Students: These students will be picked up from the doors they enter the school from.
· 1st – 5th grade Walkers: These students will leave from the cafeteria
· 1st – 5th Car Riders: These students will need to be picked up from the gym (these doors are closest to the basketball court) by parents or guardians.
· 1st – 5th Daycare: These students will be in the care of Mesa Daycare staff.
STUDENTS WILL NOT BE DISMISSED UNLESS IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.
Information will be communicated to families via Remind and Facebook status.
Nurses Corner - Sheryll Evans, School Nurse
It's that time of year already, school will soon be over for another year. If you have medications for your student at school, please pick them up by noon on the last day of school May 26th, any medication not picked up will be destroyed. In your students' bag you will find new forms for your doctor to complete for the next school year. If your student plans on going to summer school, please drop the medication off to the summer school nurse.
All students are required to be up to date with their immunizations, if your student is exempt you will need to watch the video and print the certificate for the nurse . All personal exempt status ends each year on June 30th; therefore you will need to watch the video and complete the certificate. The link below will take you directly to the information needed for your student to be exempted from their vaccines.
Meal modification forms will need to be completed by your doctor each school year, you can find these forms on the district website or obtain a copy from the school.