By: Nicole Jordan 4th period
Things I learned
- Its on the edge of the indian ocean.
- People came to the coast to find slaves and goods.
- Omani and indian ships sailed the coast.
- Main industry is fishing.
- Rich from trade.
People of the coast
- They bring bananas, cloves, cinnamon and pepper to trade.
- They bring back gold, ivory, and slaves.
- Main religion is Sunni Islam.
- Marriages are arranged.
- Some men have up to four wives.
• Bush-baby/greater galago
• Ader's Duiker
• Golden rumped elephant shrew
- Coral Reefs
- Colonization started in 1 Jan 500
- Slave Trade Began on 1 Feb 500
- Pate, Lamu, and Malindi and other cities were founded in the 9th century
- Swahili civilization dominated the coast of eastern Africa from the 1000s
- On 1 Jan 1498 the Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama, started a foreign rule on the Swahili coast.
- During the 1700s a tradition of Swahili writing had appeared.
- In the mid 1700s: Islamic religious movement came around western africa.
- The Swahili Coast suffered when Great Britain ended the slave trade in the 1800s.
- Hello in Swahili is hujambo.
- Goodbye in Swahili is kwaheri.