Is Human Papillomavirus, named for warts (papillomavirus) that can lead to cancer, especially cervical cancer. More than 40 types can infect the genital ares of males and females.
- not common among people.
- hard to know when you first became infected.
- can develop symptoms years after you have sex with infected person.
- Approximately 20 Million Americans currently have HPV.
- 5.5 Million will contract HPV through sexual contact each year.
- 50% sexually active people get genital HPV at some point in their lives.
- through intimate skin-to-skin contact.
- by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with HPV infected partner.
- most commonly spread during vaginal or anal sex.
- HPV Vaccine is very safe and it is effective at preventing HPV.
- no side effects.
- three licensed HPV vaccines: Gardasil 9, Gardasil and Cervarix.
HPV Should Be Mandatory because
- HPV is not a reportable illness
- NO symptoms and easy to transmiss.
- NO medical treatment available for HPV infections.
- Pregnant woman with genital HPV may pass HPV to the baby during delivery.