October 22nd - October 26th
Monday, October 22nd - Wednesday, October 24th
- Harper Book Fair
Monday, October 22nd
- Board of Education meeting, 7:00pm MEC
Thursday, October 25th
- Calling ALL Harper Parents! Principal Search Parent Forum with Dr. Lechner, 7pm at Harper Auditorium. Don’t miss this opportunity to hear our Superintendent, Dr. Ray Lechner speak about the search for our new Harper Principal. There will be a Q&A for all inquiries regarding the process and its timing. Come with questions or just listen. Children welcome.
Assistant Principal Ryan's News to Note
Students continue to receive “Mindful” enrichment within their classroom. Thank you for your donations to IGNiTE to support this valuable enrichment! This year students will spend time developing mindful self-awareness through the practices of Noticing, Breathing, and Deciding.
- Trick or Treat Reminders:
1. Always trick or treat with an adult.
2. Please walk when trick or treating! Don’t run ahead of your group.
3. Have an adult check your candy before you eat it.
4. Bring a flashlight if you will be out after dark.
5. Look both ways before you cross the street.
- Halloween Parade-The outdoor parade for students in grades 1-4 will be held on October 31st at 9:00 am. A viewing map will be sent next week. The outdoor kindergarten parades will be held on October 30th at 8:50 am for AM kindergarten and 12:55 pm for PM kindergarten.
- Fall conference sign-ups are coming soon! You can begin to sign-up on Tuesday, October 23rd. You will receive an email from D39 on Monday, October 22nd with specific sign-up information. Conferences take place on on Thursday, November 8th and Friday, November 9th. There will also be time-slots for kindergarten on Wednesday, November 7th. Please know that conferences cannot be scheduled outside of the D39 designated conference times.
- The temperature has become cold. Please make sure that your child is dressed for the weather. A warm coat, hat and mittens are needed for outdoor recess.
- The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, October 22nd at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Review the Tax Year 2018 Estimate of Levy and Approve the Public Hearing
- Select Student Fees
- 2018 Fall Assessment Report
Monday, October 29th
- PASS39 Evening Education at MEC, 7pm-8:30pm
- Topic: ADHD
Tuesday, October 30th
- Kindergarten Halloween Parade
- AM Kindergarten - 8:50am; PM Kindergarten - 12:55pm
Wednesday, October 31st
- 1st-4th Halloween parade 9:00 am
- Early release grades 1-4: 8:35-11:55 am
- No afternoon kindergarten
- AM kindergarten 8:35am - 10:00am
Friday, November 2nd
- Annual PTO Parent Party, A. Perry Homes Event Space, 7pm
Wednesday, November 7th
- D39 Education Foundation Attire to Aspire Fashion Show, 7-9pm
Thursday, November 8th and Friday, November 9th
- No School - Parent/Teacher Conferences
Wednesday, November 14th
- General PTO Meeting, 9am. Guest Speaker: District 39 Superintendent, Dr. Ray Lechner
- The Harper Learning Commons Book Character Pumpkin Contest
- Decorate a pumpkin as your favorite book character! All pumpkins (real or artificial) will be displayed in the Learning Commons and students will vote for their favorite pumpkin character on Halloween! Download the pumpkin flyer PDF below for rules and information.
- Harper Elementary’s Enchanted Forest Book Fair is happening this week! This book fair will include a wonderful selection of engaging books for every reading level. Start your holiday shopping here!
- All purchases benefit Harper School!
- Harper Learning Commons & Book Fair Times:
Monday, October 22 8:30am – 5pm
Tuesday, October 23 8:30am – 7pm
Wednesday, October 24 8:30am – 5pm
- To sign up and volunteer for the Book Fair, please utilize the Sign Up Genius created here
2 weeks until the 2018 Parent Social. A big thank you to all that has already purchased tickets! We look forward to many more RSVP's coming in! The party starts at 7 PM and features a full bar, appetizers, and a fun DJ! This year's party is being held at A. Perry Homes Special Event Space in downtown Wilmette - did you know Harper is the only Wilmette school that hasn't held a party there yet? Click here to purchase tickets or the button below!
- The Yearbook Committee Is In Need Of Your Hoedown Pictures!
- If you haven’t tried the ReplayIt app for uploading photos to the Yearbook, it’s so easy. Below is a guide on how to set it up. Download the app and give it a try www.replayit.com (password is HarperRocks). Or email pictures to email@example.com
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
Griffin's Tale Children's Repertory Theatre Company will be visiting and performing at Harper School on May 17, 2019. The company consists of 25 Northwestern undergrads who take stories written by local school children and turn them into songs, dances, scenes, raps, and games! https://northwestern.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/griffinstale
If your child is interested, K-4 students are being asked to write one story (short, long, wordy, picture-filled, serious, casual, etc.) to be used by the company when they perform here at Harper in the spring! Have your child write their story at home and then complete the Story-Identification Form (PDF linked below).
- Please have your child return the forms to their teacher no later than Thursday, November 15, 2018 (note: the submitted copy will not be returned).
Your K-4th grade students have participated in the iGNITE! sponsored Mindfulness Program this week. Please see the PDF below for details of what they learned and any take home work/challenges.
We are so close to our goal for iGNITE! Did you know that not only does your donation go towards enrichment, but it also funds everything the PTO sponsors? Civics and Safety (crossing guards!), Teacher Appreciation Week, Teacher funds for specific projects, Student Council are just to name a few. We ask that you donate $125 per child at Harper to help the PTO continue to provide all these things for our children. If you’re unsure if you’ve donated or not, please contact Marni Sheehan at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Donate here!
FAN (Family Action Network)
FAN welcomes author Andrea Gabor speaking on 'After the Education Wars: How Smart Schools Upend the Business of Reform’ on Mon, Oct. 22, 12 PM @ Loyola University Chicago School of Law 25 E. Pearson Ave., Chicago, IL 60610 RSVP at www.bit.ly/GaborFAN Free and open to the public.
Heather Havrilesky "Ask Polly" columnist, writer and author speaking about This Imperfect Moment: A Conversation with "Ask Polly" Interlocutors: Vivien Hanson, MSW and Maureen Kebo, MA on Mon, Oct. 29, 7 PM at North Shore Country Day School Auditorium 310 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, IL 60093 Free and open to the public. The event will not be recorded.
- If you would like to sign up for the FAN newsletter, click here!
Community Service & News
- Welcome to the Community Service Corner! Check here weekly for ideas on ways to incorporate community service at home and around town. If you have an organization or action to feature in this space please be in touch with Laura Geiger at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work to include it!
- Harper’s annual candy drive for Connections for the Homeless will take place November 1 – 12! Look for more information in an upcoming Harper Happenings.
- Another way to help kids in need this Halloween is Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF. Visit https://www.unicefusa.org/form/trick-or-treat/box-order to download a PDF to use Trick-or-Treating or at a Halloween party!
- GO PEDAL POWER! Donate a used bicycle to the 2018 Pedal Power Bike Drive Saturday, October 27th, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm at multiple locations.
- Wilmette Park District’s Saturday Basketball registration is open for boys & girls grades 4-8.
- Wilmette Rotary Club is running its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE at all District 39 schools from October 1st through November 15th. Please donate any gently used books.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Free adult English language classes are available at Highcrest Middle School beginning October 16 through November 13.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes directly email@example.com via the Communications Request Form word document attached below by Mondays at 9 am. Thank you!
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org