5th Grade Newsletter
March 22, 2018
Spring Photo Information
- Spring Photos Are Here!
- Information about purchasing the entire photo package or individual sheets is located inside the portrait package
- Please return the payment for the photos or return the photos you do not wish to purchase to your child's teacher by Tuesday, March 27th
- Please make checks payable to Lifetouch
- You can also pay at www.mylifetouch.com (look for the access code on your child's photos)
After School Plans
Upcoming STAAR Dates
Please take note of the testing days and avoid scheduling any appointments on these dates.
April 10 - Math
April 11 – Reading
May 16 – Science
A note about STAAR testing.
Fifth grade students are scheduled to take the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) tests in Math on April 10 and in Reading on April 11, 2018.
There are several things that you can do to help your child be successful on this test.
· Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test.
· Prepare a healthy breakfast for your child on the morning of the test.
· Have your child arrive at school on time that morning to avoid feeling rushed.
· Send a snack with your student to have during the testing. (Non-messy snacks are best)
· Do not schedule any medical appointments for your child on test day.
· Please do not plan to eat lunch with your child on test day.
· Finally, send your child to school with a hug and words of encouragement.
Please note, cell phones are not allowed in the classroom during testing. Thank you for your support in preparing your student for the STAAR test. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Science - Adaptations and Inherited Traits
Reading - Fiction Skills Review
Social Studies - Great Depression
Writing - Expository Essays
Grammar - Comma Review
5th Grade End of Year Video
Every year, Smith celebrates its fifth grade graduates with a special video. The video includes all 5th graders, highlighting their years at Smith - from kindergarten to 5th grade. The video will be shown to 5th graders and their parents during the last week of school. The 5th grade teachers would like to thank Linda Crossman and Lana Cordero for taking on this huge project. We really appreciate you!
Now, they can't do this on their own. Your help is critical to the success of this project. Please remember to send those photos in.
March 29- Report cards go home
April 2: Live Bits Guest Speaker
April 4: EOY Party Planning Meeting
April 10: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
April 11: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
April 16-20: Spring Book Fair
April 19: Reflections Night/PTA Meeting/Book Fair
April 26: Open House
May 7- 11: Teacher Appreciation Week
May 16: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.