The Senate : Qualifications and Terms of Office
-Must be at least 30 years old
- Citizen of the United States for atleast 9 years before election and legal residents of the state they represent.
- All voters of each state elect senators at large or statewide.
Terms of Office
- Held in Novemeber of even numbered years
- Senators begin their terms on January 3rd after the election held the previous November
The Senate : Salary, Benefits , and Priviledges of members
Salary and Benefits
- Senate and the House set their own salaries.
- The 27th amendment prohibits a sitting congress from giving itself a pay raise.
- Salary increase will tak eplace na an intervening election
- Benefits include stationery, postatge for official buisness, a medical clinic, and a gymnassium.
- Members recieve large allowances
- All members are entitled to an income tax deduction
- When they retire they are eligible for pensions of $150,000 or more a year for life.
Priviledges of Members
- Free from arrest in all cases except for treason, felony, and breach of peace
- Members of congress can not be sued for anything they say on the House or Senate floor
- Can judge memebers qualifications and decide weather to seat them
- Each house may refuse to seat an elected
- Can punish its own members for disorderly behavior by a majority vote