Monday, September 6, 2021
It's the Final Count Down!
We return to school in 3 more days. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your children. Our staff is excited and prepared to receive students on Thursday, September 9th.
I know that some families are anxious about returning to school and I want to reassure everyone that we have procedures in place to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment for all.
Happy Labor Day!
Mr. Eugene Park
Principal, A. Russell Knight
It was kind, generous, and allowed us time to break bread and connect with one another prior to starting our day of professional development.
Thanks to our amazing PTA President, Ms. Crystal Lucas, for delivering and setting up breakfast.
District Issued Devices
If your child has a district-issued device, please have them bring it back to school on the first day of school unless their teacher directs you otherwise.
This will help us assess exactly how many additional devices are needed to ensure that all of our students will have access to a device when in school.
Introduction of New Staff
First 3 Days of School Arrival Procedures
This will allow students to learn our arrival plan with the help of their teachers.
- grades 3, 4, 5 students will line up on the 3, 4, 5 blacktop (when facing the front of the building, the blacktop is located on the right side of the building).
- grade k, 1, 2 students will line up on the K-2 blacktop (located at the rear of the building).
On the first 3 days of school, families are welcome to escort their children to the line-up area.
There will be adult greeters to assist students and families to get to assigned locations as they arrive at school.
Teachers will have signs with their names.
Grab and Go Breakfast
This will provide your child with adequate time to unpack, eat breakfast and be ready to start the instructional day promptly at 9 am.
COVID-19 Related Temporary Remote Learning Plans Now Available
Temporary remote learning will be available for students in grades Pre-K-12 if the school confirms that they are advised to quarantine according to public health guidelines or if they test positive for COVID-19.
If a student must quarantine, teachers will provide assignments via Google Classroom or contact the family to work out different arrangements. Students who must quarantine will be offered live temporary remote learning with 1 - 3 days to ensure teachers can properly prepare for students to join their classes remotely.
Temporary remote learning will NOT be available for any reason other than close contact or a positive COVID-19 test. Students who are out sick with COVID-19 symptoms but do not yet have test results will not have access to live remote learning. Temporary live remote learning will also not be available for students who are home sick for non-COVID reasons, for students who travel, or for any other reason.
ON THE CALENDAR
- 9/9 - First Day of School (1:00 pm dismissal day)
- 9/10 - Patriot's Day (wear red, white, and blue)
- 9/14 - Welcome Back Ice-Cream Social (5:30 - 7:00 pm)
- 9/16 - School Closed in observance of Yom Kippur
- 9/23 - PTA Meeting (7:00 - 8:00 pm)
- 9/27 - Back to School Night (Session 1: 6:30 to 7 pm / Session 2: 7:15 - 7:45 pm) Both in-person and virtual options will be offered. Additional details are forthcoming.
We will be in school 5 days per week from 9:00 - 3:30 pm. Lunch and recess are back and PTA events have been scheduled.
I see all of this as progress and taking steps in the right direction.
We will continue to make the health and safety of our students and staff our top priority.
- We will do our best to ensure 3 ft of space between students in all settings.
- Proper hygiene will be emphasized: handwashing and use of hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- High contact areas will be frequently sanitized throughout the day.
- Masks must be worn in the building at all times (except when eating). Mask expectations can be viewed in the We Return to Learn Plan on page 7.
Please review these safety expectations with your child so they understand and are fully prepared for our first day of school.
Breakfast and Lunch
In addition, meals will be free to all students for the 2021 - 2022 school year.
Any students who would like breakfast can enter the building through the main entrance to pick up a grab-and-go breakfast bag.
When we have inclement weather students will be eating in classrooms or the APR.
- Grades K and 5 will eat lunch in the APR. A peanut/nut-free table will be available.
- Grades 1, 2, 3, and 4 will eat in the classrooms. Any students who have peanut/nut products will eat in the APR or a different designated location.
As the weather gets cooler, please ensure that your child has appropriate clothing for outdoor lunch and recess.
Students will be required to wash their hands and/or use hand sanitizer immediately following recess.
Playground equipment and recess equipment will be disinfected by our head custodian every morning prior to students arriving.
Bus Safety Procedures
Bus riders should be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time. Please allow for some fluctuation in pick-up and drop-off times, particularly during the first three weeks of school. Throughout the school year, daily pick-up and drop-off times may fluctuate due to weather, traffic, construction, etc.
- Physical Education will take place outside when weather permits and in the APR when we have inclement weather.
- Students will travel to General Music, Instrumental Music, and Library.
- Technology/Spanish and Art will take place in homerooms.
Arrival Procedures Beginning on Tuesday 9/14
Our doors will open at 8:45 am. Please do not send or drop students off prior to 8:45 am.
Once dropped off, Students will proceed to their designated entry and go directly to their classrooms. We will not be lining up outside or in the hallways. As students are being dropped off, our staff members will check for masks. Following state guidelines, no one will be permitted in the building without a mask.
We will have staff directing our students to the appropriate entrances.
All grades K, 1, and 2 students will enter through the main entrance.
All grades 3, 4, 5 students will enter through the 3, 4, 5 blacktop entrance and go directly upstairs to their classrooms.
If you are dropping off your child, have them exit the car quickly and move toward their designated entrance. Please do not leave your car parked in the drop-off area and walk your child to the building. We have lots of traffic in the morning and many waiting to drop off.
Any student who would like breakfast can enter through the main entrance.
In order to safely exit the building, we will be dismissing walkers by grade level. Bussers will be called when their bus arrives.
Kindergarten and 1st grade Walkers will be released through exits leading directly to the K-2 blacktop area located at the rear of our building:
- Room 1: Ms. Griggs & Ms. Nosenzo
- Room 2: Ms. Forrest
- Room 3: Ms. Johnson
- Room 4: Mr. Angelucci
- Room 28: Ms. Leipow
- Room 29: Ms. Glass
- Room 30: Ms. Rodriguez
- Room 5: Ms. Patterson & Ms. Abesh
- Room 6: Ms. Marchetty
There are sidewalks that can be used to access the rear blacktop exit area. Please do NOT go through the parking lot.
Grades 2, 3, 4 & 5 Walkers will exit through the main entrance doors at the front of the building.
We do not have a car pick-up area. Anyone picking up their child will need to pick them up at their child's designated exit area or direct their child to a meet-up location.
Kindergarten families will need to come to their child's pick-up area. For safety reasons, we will not release a kindergartner without seeing the child's adult pick-up person.
We do not have any public parking available on school grounds between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm. Therefore, you will need to use street parking. Please do not park on the school side of the street in front of the school.
We have a high volume of traffic in the parking lots with bus pick-ups. We do not offer public parking during school hours for safety reasons. Please do not walk through parking lots and always use the sidewalks.
Beginning of the Year Forms
All forms are accessible through the Genesis Parent Portal.
Back to School forms made available to parents in Genesis Parent Portal
- Student Code of Conduct/ AUP
- School Nurse Health Record Update including links to Nurse Welcome Letters
- Acetaminophen / Ibuprofen Authorization Form
- Military Affiliation
- Media Release
- Free/Reduced Lunch Application Process Awareness Form (with link to www.payschoolscentral.com)
- Form Regarding Military Recruitment with letter from Dr. Meloche (includes Military Recruiter, College/University Recruiter, prospective employers) (HS Students Only)
- Documents Review Verification Form including:
Social Media Info (including Student computer & Genesis log-in information)
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Information Act (FERPA)
Integrated Pest Management Information (IPM)
Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA)
- Technology Device Need Survey (New for 2021)