Northwest Middle School Knights
August 29, 2021
One Week Down!
We made it through our first week! It has been so exciting to have students back in the building. I am proud to report that the majority of our students are doing an excellent job of following expectations and mitigation protocols, specifically wearing their masks properly and social distancing. Thank you for your support from home in reinforcing our PRIDE expectations!
At Hazelwood Northwest Middle School, it is our collective responsibility to create diverse educational opportunities that will empower our students to achieve success as global citizens.
All Hazelwood Northwest Middle students will leave middle school as proficient readers, critical thinkers, and mathematicians.
NORTHWEST MIDDLE STUDENTS HAVE PRIDE
Each day of the week will have a PRIDE focus (Monday- Positivity, Tuesday- Responsibility, etc.) where students will be recognized for showing their PRIDE.
Talk to you student about PRIDE and how they can demonstrate these qualities at school and at home.
OPEN HOUSE IS AUGUST 31st!
- Open house will be held virtually the evening of Tuesday, August 31st from 5:00 PM until 7:00 PM.
- Information to join open house is at this link: Northwest Middle School Virtual Open House Agenda and Links.
- Please have your student's schedule at hand so you can follow their schedule to visit the teachers.
- The purpose of open house is to meet your student's teachers and to learn about their class and their expectations.
UPDATE ON CHROMEBOOKS
- We are continuing to work on assigning and distributing Chromebooks to our students.
- We are short on chargers for newer Chromebooks which are on backorder, so we will not be able to finish distribution until we receive those.
- In the meantime, teachers will make sure that students who do not have Chromebooks will have equivalent paper and pencil assignments and classwork.
- If you still have a Chromebook from last year, please return that to the school.
Reminders of Students Expectations
- Cell phones are silenced and put away from 7:50 AM until 3:00 PM.
- Students may not wear hoods or any type of headgear that would prevent staff from identifying the student.
- Students may not wear tightfitting, revealing, or suggestive clothing.
- Earbuds or headphones are not allowed. Students may use wired earbuds or headphones only when required for an assignment in class.
- Students may not wear sunglasses or dark glasses unless required by a prescription.
Please see the Hazelwood School District Student-Parent Handbook and Behavior Guide for further guidance on student expectations.
COVID-19 MITIGATION STRATEGIES
- Wear a mask properly at all times- over mouth AND nose- unless eating or drinking
- Stay behind the plexiglass at your desk or in the cafeteria whenever possible
- Keep at least 3 feet of distance between you and other people whenever possible
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds anytime you are in the restroom
- Sanitize your hands frequently- when you enter the building, when you enter the classroom, when you leave the classroom, when you enter the cafeteria, when you leave the cafeteria, when you leave the building.
- Eating is a task. When you are eating, focus on finishing this as a task and immediately put your mask back on properly, covering mouth and nose, when you are finished.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TIPS
ACTIVITIES AND SPORTS
After School Activities:
- Girls on the Run- Ms. Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. Custer (email@example.com)
- Robotics- Ms. Hindrichs (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr. Brophy (email@example.com)
- Anime Club- Mr. Brophy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Minecraft Club- Ms. Burke (email@example.com)
- Book Club- Ms. Korman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Knights at the Round Table- Ms. Frank (email@example.com)
- National Junior Honor Society- Ms. Ituen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Drama Club- Ms. Tohill (email@example.com)
- Student Council- Ms. Melvin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. Neel (email@example.com)
- Yearbook- Mr. Brophy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jazz Band- Ms. Campbell (email@example.com), Ms. Custer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mr. Burchett (email@example.com)
Students who are involved in afterschool activities and sports perform better in school. We encourage all students to get involved in one of our activities or sports teams. If your child is interested in participating in one of the above listed in an afterschool activities, please complete the following form: NWMS Afterschool Activity Interest Form.
Please watch for information regarding sports teams.
September 3rd: No School
September 6th: Labor Day- No School
September 14th: Northwest Middle School PTSA Meeting from 6:30-7:30 PM
September 22nd: Early Release (1:00 PM Dismissal)