Weekly Newsletter - October 4, 2018
Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
Where did September go?
It is hard to believe we are already preparing for Grandparents Day, but we are! Many people have been hard at work to make tomorrow a lovely day for all. I am looking forward to meeting as many grandparents as I can.
We look to our grandparents to help guide us, to teach us how to be compassionate and patient. Our grandparents also teach us how to serve. There is so much we can learn from our grandparents. My grandparents taught me to see beauty in the world around me. Grandparents are truly a blessing to our community, because they have a special way of sharing their faith with us, through the wisdom of a lifetime.
Don’t forget to pray the Rosary with us this month!
Go, Knights! Live in the Truth.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Pope Benedict XVI - PRayer for Grandparents
Truth Bible Quote for September
Truth Quote to ponder
"Love the truth, show yourself as you are, without feigning, fears and cares. And if the truth costs you persecution you accept it; and if it costs you torment, support it. And if for the truth you have to sacrifice yourself and your life, be strong in your self-sacrifice."
- St. Giuseppe Moscati
How Truth applies to us: At St. Joseph Catholic School, we are striving to become missionary disciples by revealing the truth of Christ to others through our actions.
Latin and Greek Roots Challenge
How to Become a volunteer?
Per the Diocese, all school volunteers if they are current on Safe Environment, will have until 7/31/19 to renew through VIRTUS if you do not expire before that date. You need to go on the VIRTUS website and make a profile. You can do this without signing up for a class. Profiles are needed in the new system so we know you have previous training, as the old database is no longer open for viewing.
A campus can move up the date that VIRTUS is needed, as Nolan has, but it cannot go past the new school year in August of 2019. We have opted to allow families as much time as allowed to complete your training with the 7/31/19 deadline.
If you have had no Safe Environment training at all, you must take the VIRTUS training now to be able to volunteer.
Go to fwdioc.org
Click on Safe Environment
Click on Training Sessions, which looks like a calendar
Click on I need a VIRTUS Profile
Continue through the prompts.
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Tomorrow is Grandparents Day, a half day, and a Mass day! It should be a wonderful day!
- We have a Class Basket Challenge under way for "A Knight to Remember 2018 (AK2R)." Please see the Thursday Folder flyer for details.
- Be sure to buy your tickets to attend "A Knight to Remember 2018". You may access the link to purchase them on our school website: https://stjosephtx.org/ or click on the image below.
- We have recently learned of a free night at the Levitt Pavilion for our families! Check out the flier in the Thursday Folder. The event is on a Sunday evening, which was out of our control.
- GARAGE SALE ITEMS - COLLECTION - Monday, OCTOBER 15th from 7:30-8:30am and 2:30-3:30pm in the east St. Joseph Church parking lot. Cleaning, moving or remodeling? 8th grade continues to collect donations of ALL items and hangers for their garage sale fundraiser. If you have furniture/large quantities contact Ashley Goralski @ 817.456.2620 or Susan Ozuna @ 817.781.4196 Email: email@example.com. Thank you for helping us! ~Class of 2019
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of "The Page" below. Thank you!
Exciting annual event coming soon! Get your tickets now!
Click on the image below to purchase tickets!
Annual Fund - Quest for Excellence!
Don't forget to participate in our Annual Fund - Quest for Excellence! You've Got the Power! With 100% participation in 100 days, we hope to raise $100,000 to help with campus security enhancements, tuition assistance, construction of another storage facility, and bonuses for our teachers. Any amount is appreciated. Your participation in North Texas Giving Day falls under the Annual Fund. Thank you!
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has already participated! We have created a display in the school foyer to celebrate our participants. If you do not wish for your name to be shared in any display or in any publication, please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your name will be kept anonymous.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Next HSA Spirit Night - November 6th at Panera (4000 S. Cooper St) from 4-8pm.
- Our next HSA Meeting will be on October 17th. It's Family Rosary Night! We will pray the Rosary at 6:30 pm and begin the meeting at 7:00 pm in the school cafeteria. There is a free dress day on Friday, October 19th, for the children of HSA members in attendance that night.
- Please bring in your box tops. We are collecting these for the school and there is now a class competition! See the Thursday Folder for details, and check out the bulletin board display in the cafeteria. You can see that Ms. Seed's class is in the lead! Thank you in advance for doing this!
- Looking for uniform pieces? Need to sell some pieces your child has outgrown? There is a Facebook page for that: SJCS Online Uniform Resale.
The RoboKnights are here! Welcome 6th, 7th, and 8th grade!
car line observations
- Please do not move or disregard the cones that are placed around the parking lots. These are provided to help keep our students safe.
- Do not make a left turn at the long line of cones upon entering the parking lot (the TCP area on the map). Please move up the drive, go around the small island, and come back down to the front of the school building. This keeps traffic off of Green Oaks.
- It is very important that cars are not left unattended in the car line. Please park your car in the large lot beside the field if you need to leave your vehicle.
- Please remember that if you are walking your child into the school building, you are to park in the large lot in front of the field. Foot traffic should not be occurring in the parking lots to the left, unless you have a physical need for a shorter walk. It is dangerous to be walking between the car line.
- For the safety of all, please be aware of your speed as you move through the parking lots, and be watchful and courteous.
- Please be patient with friends and extended family members who drop off and pick up students. Many times they have not been informed of the proper way to navigate the car line. We do reach out to families after arrival and dismissal who seem to not understand the car line pattern.
- If you have a friend or extended family member picking up your child, please take a minute to explain the procedures to them. Please reference the diagram. Thank you!
- We would ask that a cell phone not be in your hand while driving in the car line. We all know it only takes one sudden distraction to alter lives forever.
40 Days for life
September 26 thru November 4, 2018
40 Days for Life is a focused pro-life campaign with a vision to access God’s power through prayer, fasting, and peaceful vigil to end abortion in America. The mission of the campaign is to bring together the body of Christ in a spirit of unity during a focused 40 day campaign of prayer, fasting, and peaceful activism, with the purpose of repentance, to seek God’s favor to turn hearts and minds from a culture of death to a culture of life, thus bringing an end to abortion in America. To sign up click below.
Knights in Action!
8th Grade Student of the Month
Frassati Award Recipient
moments around campus
Ms. Coomer's class spent some time experiencing mission life.
Ms. Debi Holton from Catholic Charities, shared their mission to eradicate poverty with our Upper School, and spoke about our students being the Future Servant Leaders for the Church.
The students supported one another throughout the discussion! Nice job, Knights!
| || |
4th grader, Lilly Biagini, had two special visitors this week. Channel 5 and Harlem Globetrotter, Zeus McClurkin! Both came to check in on her progress one year after her experience with the California wildfires that destroyed all of her belongings, including her specially manufactured prosthetics.
ROBOTICS Club - Go, RoboKnights!
SJCS ALUMNI News
Yearbook Signing - Class of 2018
It was so wonderful to have the Class of 2018 back on campus for yearbook signing. Remember, Knight Alumni, you are always welcome back!
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to email@example.com.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Please see the Thursday Folder for information regarding the Society of St. Vincent de Paul's, Friends of the Poor Walk/Run, on October 6th.
- HELP NEEDED - The parish is needing 2 individuals, or even couples who would be willing to lead baptism class on the first Saturday of the month, as a team, in English. The time commitment would be 3.5 to 4 hours per month on the first Saturday (or second Saturday if the first is a holiday). Please reach out to Dawn Ward in the parish office if you are interested in serving your community in this important way: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.