Mariana Magana Pd. 3
What do they do?
There are two kinds of Social workers ( Direct Social Workers and Clinical Social Workers) Direct Social Workers work with people during difficult times in their ever day lives. Clinical Social Workers diagnose and give treatment.
- Guide people who need help
- Assess clients’ needs, situations, strengths, and support networks to determine their goals
- Help clients go through changes and challenges in their lives, such as illness, divorce, or unemployment
- Help clients work with government agencies
- Respond to crisis situations, like natural disasters or child abuse
- Advocate for and help clients get resources that would improve their well-being
- Follow up with clients to ensure that their situations have improved
Average Hours/ Schedule
Social Workers work full time and may sometimes work on the weekends.
- Hospitals and clinics
- Nursing homes
- State and local governments
- Military bases and hospitals
- Private practices
- $47,230 for healthcare social workers
- $40,210 for child, family, and schools social workers
- $38,600 for mental health and substance abuse social workers
- $51,500 for all other social workers
A good school for this occupation is Kaplan university.
- Problem-solving skills
- Listening skills
- Organizational skills
The growth for this job is expected to be 25% from 2010 to 2020.