Last week of January/first week of February
Dear Moraine Families,
Adults stressed, kids disheveled, most likely missing a backpack or a coat or a lunch or all of the above. Does that ever sound like a morning at your house? Mine too!
Attendance everyday and being on time are two of the important ways we can support our kids at school. And yet on some mornings, with kids, we've all left the house in a chaotic way! If you are finding the added stress with your child arriving late to school, try one of the ways below to help:
- A great morning starts with a consistent, long sleep the night before (Elementary age kids need about 10 hours of sleep for brain development)
- Chart out the exact time you need to be in the car to arrive on time (then add 5 minutes)
- Put a schedule with times of what every morning roughly looks like. This keeps everyone on schedule!
- Make it a family goal. For each day that you follow the schedule, track your progress and celebrate each weekend. (As a family, we count on each other and I'm counting on you!)
- Have a dedicated spot for each of the morning items, so it can be grab and go (backpack, library book, coat, snow gear, lunch). When students get home from school, everything goes in it's place before they go and play!
- Put the ownership on the child. Elementary age students can be responsible for themselves and their time. (I will be responsible for being ready to get in the car on time. You are responsible for having your belongings at [chosen time]. If you need my help, you can always ask, however, being ready is your responsibility!)
In this newsletter:
- Kindergarten Enrollment NOW OPEN!
- Student Authored Book Sign Up
- "Read" Shirts for March is Reading Month now available!
- Parent Camp is Saturday, February 4th
- NPS Inclusion Week
- Science Olympiad Sign-Up
Take care and be well,
Proud Principal of Moraine Elementary
Teaching for Learning for All!
- Thursday, February 2nd - Credit Union Deposit Day
- Friday, February 3rd - Basketball Jones assemblies
- Saturday, February 4th - Northville Parent Camp
- Wednesday, February 8th - Dad's Club Meeting
- Friday, February 17th - Half Day with dismissal at 12:15pm
- Monday, February 20th - No School
2022-23 Moraine School Calendar
In the New Year, we remind our families about arrival/dismissal procedures:
- Please use patience - it keeps our process safe and calm!
- Pull up as far as possible before letting your child out of the car.
- Children must be with an adult if using the crosswalk
- All students must be signed in if dropped off after 8:46am
Kindergarten Enrollment for 2023-24 School Year is now OPEN!
If you have any questions, please call Student Data at (248) 344-3524.
Student Authored Book Sign Up
March is Reading Month-Let Reading Take You on an Adventure!
March is Reading Month is just around the corner!
Before March begins, we want to again offer the opportunity for students to author their own books and have them on display throughout the month of March in the Moraine Media Center.
Student Authored Books
Our student authored books program is a wonderful way to inspire children to write and illustrate their own books!
If you would like to request a blank book for your author, please fill out the request form using the link below.
Additional information about this opportunity and due dates are included in the link.
Requests for blank student authored books need to be submitted by/on Friday, February 10th.
Read Shirts for March is Reading Month
March is Reading Month is coming up quickly!
This year, Moraine will again be offering families the opportunity to purchase clothing that promotes the love of reading. Last year was our first year offering these t-shirts and it was a great success.
If you are interested in ordering a shirt for your penguin reader, please use the link below. There are youth and adult sizes of short and long-sleeve t-shirts, as well as, crewneck sweatshirts and hoodies!
Shirts will be delivered to Moraine and sent home with students in late February.
Orders are due on/by Thursday, February 2, 2023.
Northville Parent Camp - Saturday, February 4th
The Moraine School-Wide Kindness Goal
This month, the action step we are taking is about being mindfull of other peoples' strengths and giving authentic compliments. You can help us out at home by talking to you child about being specific and genuine about giving compliments. In fact, if the positive feedback is NOT about someone's character rather than their looks, EVEN better!
One of our most important jobs as parents is modeling the behavior we want to see developed within our children. Join in on the kindness at home!
NWEA Testing Window January 30-February 17th
Northville Inclusion Week, February 27th - March 3rd
February Wellness Wednesdays
February Wellness Wednesdays are all about self-love and self-care! Teens and Tweens join us for one of these programs:
Yoga & Mindfulness for Self-Care for Tweens (9-12) - Wednesday, February 8
Facilitated by Stephanie Rife, Yoga Instructor
Love Yourself - Building Self-Esteem for Teens (13-18) - Wednesday, February 22
Discussion and activities around being unique, happiness, and remembering how to unapologetically love yourself!
Facilitated by Kristie Wyler, MA LLP, McCaskill Family Services
See Flyer for more information. Registration is required: https://form.jotform.com/222187543053150
Parent Coffee Talks
The Parent Lighthouse Team is planning to host a “Parent Coffee Talk” once a month. Every month we will meet to discuss each of the “7 Habits of Highly Effective Families”. You do not need to have attended the parent workshop in October to join us for these informal “Parent Coffee Talks”.
The schedule is as follows:
February 23 – Habit 4: Think Win-Win
March 16 – Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be
April 20 – Habit 6: Synergize
May 18 – Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
These meetings will take place in Room 311 at Old Village School (405 Main Street in Northville) from 9:00-10:30 AM (except on January 19). Parking is behind Old Village School next to the library. Light refreshments are provided. Please bring something to drink and join us as we have fun discussing how to successfully (and at times unsuccessfully) implement the 7 Habits at home.
Please contact either one of us with questions:
Mindy Eichenberg (email@example.com) or
Jami Knapp (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Moraine Yearbook 2023!!!
- Orders are now available - https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/general/homepage?portal=true
- School code - 12969
- Cost - (Herff Jones will add a $1.99 service charge)
- $18 (Orders placed January-March)
- Photos -
- If you would like to share any photos of your Moraine student, please share at...
- Questions - please contact, Barbara Bouchard
Northville Youth Network Newsletters
Northville Youth Network (NYN) provides valuable programs and services to the Northville Community such as education and awareness, referral services and case work services. As part of the ongoing Social Emotional education NYN provides to our community, they have included resources that are available for parents! Please check out NYN's latest resource templates: Tech and Internet Safety and Social Anxiety as well as all of their other offerings! Be sure to check back in the future as their templates will be updated throughout the year (https://www.twp.northville.mi.us/your_government/departments/NYN)
NEWS AND NOTES
Quick Links for Reference
ClassLink and Schoology Resources
Video Gallery Picture - Exciting NPS Events!