Hello Audubon Families,
This time of year I often find myself making and extra effort to reflect on all the many things that I am thankful for. Over the past year we have certainly faced some challenges as a school and as a community. Through those challenges I am so thankful for our amazing students that have shown some amazing perseverance, to our fantastic staff that has handled so much change with grace and to our community that has continued to partner with us to reach our ultimate goal - support students.
During the month of November I am starting each morning with a gratitude challenge for our students and staff. I would encourage everyone in our community to find a way each day to practice some gratitude and remember what you are thankful for. The more kindness and gratitude that we spread the better we can all be and the better it will make us all feel.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out and we will do our best to answer them for you. You can always reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-328-2602.
Wishing you health and wellness,
Principal, Audubon Elementary
Students of the Month
- Ms. Thomas' Class - Jackson S.
- Ms. Fails' Class - Royce L.
- Mrs. Brown's Class - Truth I.
- Mrs. Watson's Class - Maia K.
- Mrs. Braquez's Class - Kailyn Z.
- Mrs. Brooker's Class - Emeri L. and Mira G.
- Mrs. Mason's Class - Ruby E. and Lacy G.
Congratulations to all of our September/October Students of the Month. Each student will be getting a special lunch celebration and some goodies for being recognized as the Student of the Month.
October Staff Member of the Month - Ms. Katie Smith
Katie has a great sense of humor and contagious laugh that just brightens peoples day whenever she interacts with them. Our students love have Ms. Smith at the school and on days when she is not here you can often hear them asking for her. She is the epitome of what a great educator is and should be and we are so grateful that she is with u at Audubon.
Congratulations to Ms. Katie Smith on being named the October Staff Member of the Month!
Picture Retake Day - November 9
- Visit the Lifetouch website at www.mylifetouch.com
- Use the school ID code EVTNJ7JZC
Picture envelopes will be coming home beginning November 1st with reminder info on the 8th.
Class pictures will be taken in the spring.
Veterans Day Ceremony - November 11
For those that would like to watch the event you are able to do so via a live stream on the 11th or via recording that will be made available after the event. The livestream link will be on the school website the week of the event.
We look forward to honoring our Veterans on this special day!
APEX Fun Run is November 9 - 18
A - Aspire
S - Self Starter
O - Own It
N - New Day
E - Energize
The event is going to be kicking off on November 9th for students and staff with our culminating run on Thursday, November 18 on our playground (weather permitting).
More information will be coming home and emailed next week with more details about the program.
Vision/Hearing Health Screening - November 29/30
Inclement Weather Information
Audubon Weather Information
- If the temperature is below 20 degrees (with wind chill) students will not go outside.
- If it is that cold in the morning we will hang a blue flag from the front of the building, north end and south end alerting families that students should come into the building and not wait outside.
- Should we have light snow falling and the temp is above 20 degrees we may still have students go outside for fresh air and an opportunity to move.
District 11 Weather Information
- The district will determine if the weather is bad enough close, delay or have an e-learning day due to weather.
- District 11 will message out any information through the D11 app, email, social media, and news outlets.
- Audubon will also send this info out once we have it from the district.
- A two-hour delay would mean all start times, bus pick-up times and family drop-off times are delayed two hours at the beginning of the day.
- In the event we have a two-hour delay there will not be breakfast served.
- If the district calls for an e-learning day due to weather we will follow a remote learning schedule for classes that day that are posted on the Audubon website.
Audubon Facebook Page
The school will be using Facebook to advertise school events, pass along information and share fun photos of things happening in the school. We will continue to use our other forms of communication to get info out as well so if Facebook is not your thing, no worries.
Please click the link below to see our new Facebook page and follow us for information.
Updated COVID Protocols (as of 11/1/2021)
The district continues to monitor the COVID-19 number in El Paso County and will inform families of any changes to protocols as they come.
As of October 1, 2021 the district has made the decision to continue to require masks for all students, staff and visitors until the end of the first semester (December 17) at which time they will again review where things are at.
School Accountability Committee Meeting and Information
The November meeting will be focused on reviewing our beginning of the year academic data, how we are supporting students as we continue to navigate the pandemic, and how we plan to recognize and honor student during the 2021-2022 school year. We hope you can join us for this one hour meeting and share your thoughts and feedback on how the school year is going.
Quarantines and Remote Learning
- If a student is quarantined due to COVID-19 they will be able to complete work daily via Schoology or Seesaw.
- Those students in quarantine will be able to meet with their teacher via live WebEx each day of their quarantine (teachers will share the time with families as it may be different for each teacher due to their daily schedule).
- If work is completed and turned in, the student will be counted as present for the school day in the attendance system.
- Remote learning is if an entire class has to be quarantined due to COVID-19 or potentially for inclement weather situations.
- Teachers will have a daily schedule that students should follow from home that will include live sessions and off-line work time.
- This type of learning would be temporary.
Be The Change
Out new message to the community that students created during Red Ribbon Week.
New Door Paint Job
AS you may have seen we have been updating the paint job on our outside doors to match what is inside on our walls. Thank you to all our volunteers that came out on our City Serve Day in October to help with this project. Also, a big thank you to Mrs. Ruth for all her work in helping finish up the project.
Supporting Our Community
During the final two weeks of October our Student Council held a "Penny War" fundraising drive to support a local non-profit, KPC. KPC is a temporary respite center for families and their building flooded in early October. All of the money raised will go to support them getting back up and running. Student Council will also be hosting a supply drive in November to benefit them as well.
New Door Paint Job
Supporting Our Community
Upcoming Dates and Events
November 9 - Individual Picture Day Makeup
November 11 - Veterans Day
November 11 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
November 22-26 - Thanksgiving Week; School Closed
November 29/30 - Health Screening
December 6-10 - Holiday Shop
December 14 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
December 17 - School Movie @ 8:30
December 20-Jan 2 - Winter Break; School Closed
January 3 - PD/Work Day; No Students
January 4 - Work Day; No Students
January 13 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
January 17 - MLK Day; School Closed
February 10 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
February 11 - Movie Night @ 5:30
February 15 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
February 21 - Presidents Day; School Closed
February 28-March 4 - Dr. Seuss Week and Book Fair
March 7 - Teacher Work Day; No students
March 8 - Data Collaboration Day; No students
March 10 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
March 21-25 - Spring Break; School Closed
April 1 - Chuckie Cheese Night
April 14 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
April 18-22 - Volunteer Appreciation Week
April 19 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
April 22 - John J. Audubon Birthday Celebration
May 2-6 - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 12 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
May 20 - Students Last Day