Black Bear Bits
August 26, 2022
8/31: School Open House ~ 3:00-4:00 p.m.
8/31: Welcome Back Family Barbecue ~ 4:00-6:00 p.m.
9/5: Labor Day ~ No School
9/6: First day of school for 1st-5th Grades
9/6: BOOHOO WOOHOO Parent Gathering (Grades 1-5) 8:00-9:00 a.m. (details below)
9/13: First day of school for PreK and Kindergarten
9/13: BOOHOO WOOHOO Parent Gathering (PreK and Kinder) 8:00-9:00 a.m. (details below)
9/17: Garden Work Party 9:00-11:00 a.m.
9/20: PTA Meeting 7:00 p.m.
9/26-30: Scholastic Book Fair
Message from the Principal
Greetings Black Bear Community,
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year at Tualatin Elementary! Although I have been collaborating, planning and preparing over the summer, I’m looking forward to the school coming fully alive in September when all of our students and staff are here to fill our classrooms, hallways and playground with joyful learning.
I became an educator because as a student I had so many teachers and school staff positively impact me as a learner, and believed in my ability without fail. That belief still drives me today: the belief in the success of your students everyday. I am eager to hear from you and your children about their needs and hopes for their time at Tualatin Elementary and beyond and about how we can best collaborate with and for our students and their caregivers.
Since I am new to our community, allow me to introduce myself. I was originally born in Minnesota and grew up in Arizona, before moving to Oregon in 1996. This is my 32nd (!) year in education, and I’ve taught grades 3rd, 4th and 5th in Arizona, Virginia, and Oregon. I worked for eight years as a new teacher mentor in Beaverton, coaching teachers to improve their instruction to impact student learning. For the past six years, I served as assistant principal at two elementary schools, Hazeldale and Bonny Slope, both in Beaverton.
On the home front, when not in school, I’m an avid reader, love crossword puzzles, British television shows, and aspire to take up running again, which was waylaid by injuries to my Achilles heels. I’m the proud papa of the cutest dog in the world, Lilly Belle, a mini-Goldendoodle who literally runs the house. One thing that you’ll learn very quickly is that I proudly claim the title of being a “Disney Adult”. For many students, this is an immediate connection that we have, and helps to form lasting relationships.
In fact, relationship building is one of my first goals joining this incredible community. Nothing important is accomplished in education outside of relationships. As a new leader at this school, I am excited to get to know everyone in our community, and to share my enthusiasm for and commitment to creating a positive and productive learning environment for every learner who comes through our door.
I am honored and humbled to serve as the new principal for Tualatin Elementary. I am excited about all we will accomplish together for our children and look forward to celebrating our collective success this school year.
UPDATED! Teacher assignments
(Updated information as of 1:00 p.m. 8/26/22)
Due to fluctuating enrollment, class placement letters will be delayed. Know that much thought and consideration is put into each student's placement and our team of outstanding teachers are excited to welcome your child and family to a new year at Tualatin.
- Teacher assignments for students in grades Kinder-5 will be emailed to families before August 31st.
- Preschool welcome letters will be emailed by August 31st.
- Bus Routes have arrived!
Welcome Back Open House and Family Barbecue
Join us on Wednesday, August 31st, for an open house and family barbecue! The open house will be from 3:00-4:00 p.m. and you'll have an opportunity to walk through the building, see your student's classroom, and meet some of our staff. Most teachers will be in attendance, but because of late notice, some may have prior commitments.
From 4:00-6:00 p.m. we will be hosting a free family barbecue with our partners at Horizon Community Care! The barbecue will be held on the patio at the back of the school. This is a great time to meet other families and renew friendships prior to the start of school!
School attendance Line & Hours
Following are the school hours:
Kinder-5th grade: 8:00 a.m. - 2:20 p.m. (Doors open at 7:45)
AM Preschool: 8:00-10:30am
PM Preschool: 12:00-2:30pm
Our attendance line is 503-431-4770. Please call the attendance line before 8:30 a.m. if your student will be tardy (after 8:00) or absent from school. If your student is out sick, please inform us of any symptoms your child is experiencing so we can share any exclusion information with you. An automated system will call you if the absence/tardy has not been reported.
Did you know?
- The Black Bear Bits are sent to families every Friday while school is in session. The Bits always contain timely information on events, updates to policies and procedures, and all the happenings at Tualatin Elementary. We also post a link on social media (Facebook and Twitter). Be sure to check out the attachments in the Bits emails as it contains community and school flyers, applications, and resources important to your family.
- You can reach our front office at email@example.com or you can find our individual emails on the school website. You can also call us at 503-431-4800
- Fridays are spirit days! Wear your spirit wear or school colors (red and black)
- PTA meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December)
- If the school is experiencing an unexpected closure due to snow, natural disaster, power outage, or other emergency, information will be sent out through Flash Alert. Sign up to receive these push notifications on your phone and via email.
School Meals Information
Please set up your student's meal account or apply for free meals through the Titan Program Website. You can also view the school menu in Titan (subject to supply chain disruptions). If your student has food allergies, please be sure to update that information in ParentVu.
Elementary Breakfast: $1.75
Elementary Lunch: $2.90
BooHoo, WooHoo Social!
- Parents of students in grades 1-5, will gather at 8:00 a.m. in the library on Tuesday, September 6th.
- Parents of students in Pre-K and Kinder will gather at 8:00 a.m. in the library on Tuesday, September 13th.
Garden Work Party
We also need volunteers to weed, mow, water and harvest over the next few months. Sign up for a week: Monday - Sunday. Share the week with another family!
Working with the PTA is a great opportunity to be make new friends and be involved in the school. More importantly, we cannot provide all these experiences for our students without volunteers like you! Consider joining or chairing a committee, become a board member (we are looking for a secretary and President-elect), share art literacy with your child's class, or assist with any of our activities we have planned for this year.
Volunteering at Tualatin Elementary
We love our volunteers and are excited to welcome you back into the building this year! To volunteer at Tualatin, please follow the steps below. When your application is completed, you'll receive an email from the front office and you'll be able to schedule volunteer time at the school.
All volunteers must complete the checklist below to volunteer
- Complete a background check at: www.helpcounter.net/ttsd. (This needs to be renewed every three years.) You will also need to complete the Child Abuse online training.
- Be vaccinated for COVID-19. Please provide vaccine documentation using the following link-TTSD Volunteer Vaccination Documentation or send a copy/photo of your card to the school office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OR If you have a vaccination exception, please fill out the form that applies to you- Religious or Medical and submit to the following link- TTSD Volunteer Exception Documentation
- When the above has been completed, contact the school office (email@example.com or 503-431-4800) and we will give you documents for the Volunteer COVID training through Tualatin Elementary.
Masks will be optional in the building for volunteers that are vaccinated. We ask that if you are sick or have any symptoms, that you postpone your volunteering until you are well.
Volunteers with a vaccine exception on file will be required to:
Wear a mask while on TTSD property OR;
Be given a rapid test at the time and location of their volunteer assignment.
Please contact Amanda Thorderson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-431-4800) with any questions.
HEALTH PLAN NOTIFICATION
If your student has a health plan, it is now viewable in Parentvue. Please review the plan and contact your school’s nurse if anything needs to be changed. If your nurse does not hear from you by September 15, 2022, this is the plan that will be in place for the 2022-2023 school year.
Sharon Mitchell, BSN, RN
Tigard-Tualatin District Nurse
Nutrition Services Update
The universal free meals waiver with USDA has expired. Beginning the 2022-2023 school year meals will be charged to the student accounts.
Please set up your student's meal account or apply for free meals through the Titan Program Website. TTSD is no longer using the My School Bucks Program. All funds that were in your student's account with Myschoolbucks have been carried over and will be accessed through Titan. You can also view the school menu in Titan.
See the Expanded Income Guidelines here for more income guidelines. Oregon has expanded the income guidelines so more families will qualify. Even if you have not qualified before, you may now. (Example: A family of four with a combined household income of less than $83,250 would qualify for free meals.)
- A new meal application is needed to apply each school year.
- 1 application per household.
- Families can apply anytime during the school year if their economic status has changed.
For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the TTSD Nutrition Page
School Supplies and Backpacks
In order to lessen the impact on families, Tualatin Elementary will be providing the basic school supplies needed for students this year. Please send your student with a backpack and reusable water bottle (labeled with their name).
If you need assistance in providing a backpack and reusable water bottle for your student, please fill out this form or contact Ana Uriostegui, our Family Partnership Advocate, at 503-431-4767 or email@example.com
Teachers are accepting donations of kleenex, individually wrapped snacks, and baby wipes. Contact the office to donate other supplies.