Backround on Newton
- Born: December, 25, 1642
- Died: March, 20, 1727
- When he was born he was not expected to survive
- Newton never married
His impact on today
- He established classic mechanics and the beginning of modern physics
- For his time all of his discoveries were scientific breakthroughs
- His laws of motion help us understand science better today
When Newton was only 24 he had the blueprints for his three laws of motion, still recited by physics students everywhere:
- An object will remain in a state of inertia unless acted upon by force.
- The relationship between acceleration and applied force is F=ma.
- For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
- Newton built the first practical reflecting telescope
- His book "The Principia" which formulated the laws of motion and Universal Gravitation
- He also discovered that white light is made of a spectrum of colors
- He served the British government as warden and master of Royal Mint
- He was also the second Lucasian professor mathematics at the University of Cambridge
- He was born the same year Galileo died