The Conspiracy Theory
Uncle Tom's Cabin
the History Behind the novel.
- The novel drastically changed how Americans would think about slavery, forever.
-Not only did Beecher's novel demanded that the American government come through on their promises of freedom, and equality; but it also sparked the abolition movement, and the Civil War.
-Beecher does this in her novel by calling on Americans to confront the issue of racial relations.
- The title itself was a racial slur.
- The novel sold 10,000 copies in the first week.
- Within a years span, 1.5 million copies were sold.
- The novel appealed to people all over the nation as both a protest novel, and work of literature.
about the book
- He and his wife have a nice relationship with their slaves but they need the money.
- Shelby decides to raise money by selling two of his slaves
- The slaves are Uncle Tom and a middle-aged man with a wife and children on the farm, and Harry, the young son of Mrs. Shelby’s maid Eliza.