Buckingham Elementary School
The Mighty Knight Connection - June 2013 - Issue 11
NAESP: Report to Parents - Protecting your children: Safeguarding Kids' Online Activities
The Internet is an extraordinary resource for our children. It allows them to see what the Mars Rover is up to in real time or watch video footage of animals in the wild.
However, it can be a frightneing place for parents, which is why families need to be involved. Here's how to start:
(To read the entire article from the National Association of Elementary School Principal's, pease CLICK HERE - May need to allow some time to load).
Buckingham Dress Code Guidelines
News & Upcoming Events
Jun. 3 - 6th Grade Briarwood Field Trip
Jun. 4 - 3rd Grade Field Trip - Philly Zoo
Jun. 4 - Buckingham Spring Concert - 6:30PM
Jun. 10 - Spirit Assembly - BMX Anti-Bully/Bike Safety Show
Jun. 10 - Buckingham Night @ Chubby's Ice Cream Parlor 5:30PM-8:30PM (Plumstead)
Jun. 11 - School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
Jun. 12 - Spring Boomerang Breakfast - 8:30AM - Invitation
Jun. 13 - 6th Grade Beakfast - 7:45AM (Grade 6 Yearbook Distribution)
Jun. 12-18 - 1st Grade's: Camp Learned-A-Lot
Jun. 14 - Flag Day
Jun. 14 - Yearbook Distribution - All School
Jun. 14 - Move-Up Day - Afternoon - Grades K-5; Grade 6 - Wiffle Ball
Jun. 14 - 6th Grade Party - 7:00PM-9:30PM - Cafeteria
Jun. 16 - Father's Day
Jun. 17 - 6th Grade Promotion - Holicong Middle School Auditorium - 7:00PM (Doors open at 6:45PM)
Jun. 19 - Last Day for Students - Early Dismissal - 12:10PM
Buckingham Night at Chubby's Ice Cream - June 10
Celebrity-Scoop Buckingham Staff Line-Up:
5:00PM - Mr. Durie & Mr. Funseth
5:30PM - Mrs. Kogen & Mrs. Yearick
6:00PM - Mrs. Fillette & Mrs. Roberts
6:30PM - Mrs. Rothstein & Mrs. Callahan
7:00PM - Miss Chirillo & Mrs. Raitt
7:30PM - Mrs. Rosztoczy & Mrs. Story
Buckingham Collects Retired US Flags - Until Flag Day - June 14th
Bucks County Library Summer Reading and Activities
Central Bucks Supports - 9/11 Heroes Run
Spirit Assembly - Science Tellers Apply Chemistry to Story!
Buckingham Night at Rita's!
Thanks to everyone that came out May 23rd for Bucingham's Rita’s Spirit Night! Despite the rainy weather, everyone had fun hanging out with Ice Guy, getting prizes and eating water ice! Congratulations to Maggie Kettleberg (W-5), Evelyn Howarth (W-6) and Ethan Green (P-3) for winning water ice parties for their classrooms! And special thanks to Reading Teacher, Mrs. Jennifer Butler, for organizing the fun event!
The Butterfly Guy Visits Buckingham Third Graders!
Did you know butterflies smell with their antennae? Third graders know this fact and many more thanks to a visit from Rick Mikula, The Butterfly Guy. Mr. Mikula recently shared his butterfly knowledge and passion for science inquiry during a special assembly. He is an author, tour guide, and photographer devoted to educating people about butterflies and preserving butterflies’ habitats around the world. The Butterfly Guy captivated the students by wearing his butterfly costume and sharing his butterfly photos from tropical rainforests and his backyard. Third graders are eager to try some insect experiments Mr. Mikula discussed.
First & Second Grade Spring Concert
FIELD DAY 2013
We beat the heat with another great Field Day at Buckingham Elementary on May 31st. This is a special day where the kids were demonstrating what it looks like to be a “Mighty Knight.” Students were observed using great sportsmanship, were respectful with the opposing team, showed trustworthiness with their classmates, fairness when competing and caring for one another throughout the day. The day ended with an exciting game of basketball between the staff and sixth grade students.
A special thanks to all our staff and parent volunteers who make this day run so smoothly, along with Mr. Thompson, Nurse Randy, our lunch staff who provided a special Field Day lunch option! The children had a wonderful time with Buckingham's Field Day!
School Board Briefs
At the May 28, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Gold ‘n’ Blues Choir performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. VanVreede’s 6th grade Titus class.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Finance, Operations, and MBIT Committee Reports.
3. Approved the School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
5. Approved the Resolution to adopt the Final Budget for 2013-2014 in the amount of $290,683,982. Approved the Resolution setting the homestead and farmstead real estate tax reduction in the amount of $189.70 and approved the tax levy Resolution keeping the real estate tax millage rate at 122.8 mills, keeping the real estate transfer tax rate at 1%, keeping the earned income tax rate at 1%, and maintaining the electric utility real estate tax.
6. Approved the Physical Education Uniform Purchase.
7. Approved Construction Contracts for Holicong Middle School to Centre Point Construction for general construction in the amount of $533,000; to Guy Cooper, Inc. for plumbing construction in the amount of $516,500; to Goshen Mechanical for mechanical construction in the amount of $799,900; to MJF Electrical for electrical construction in the amount of $225,380; and to Asbestos & Lead Abatements Service for asbestos abatement in the amount of $167,020.
And the approval of a Deed of Dedication to New Britain Borough for the Pine Run paving project and the approval of a Land Development Agreement with New Britain Borough for the Pine Run paving project.
8. Approved the award of a contract to Gilmore and Associates for engineering design services for the CB East Stadium in the amount of $90,000 and the award of a contract to Hayes Large Architects for architectural design services for the CB East Stadium in the amount of $168,000.
9. Tabled the first reading of the Facility Use Fee Schedule so that the schedule can be posted on-line for public review. Administration will meet with DAA, CBAA, WAA, and Lenape Valley groups to hear their input.
10. Approved the MBIT Bond Resolution to issue new bonds – Series of 2013. The issuance of new bonds – Series of 2013, will be bank qualified, having a five year call with slightly lower interest rates.
11. Approved School Board Policy #217.3 – Awarding of Credit - Other Educational Experience, School Board Policy #302 – Employment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, and School Board Policy #312 – Performance Assessment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent.
12. Approved the School Board Treasurer, Suzanne Vincent for 2013-2014, and the School Board Secretary, Sharon Reiner for 2013-2017.
Approved various personnel items, the senior classes for Graduation (1625 graduates) on June 19, 2013, a tuition student, and student trips.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie