Our Goal: To help you navigate all the strategies and tools we have available within MGSD and Mooresville Intermediate School!
This Month's Focus: M-7
Students demonstrate their knowledge through a variety of assessment tools and instructional strategies to ensure student understanding.
What does it mean?
What does it actually look like at MIS?
- Use entry and exit tickets to gauge student understanding of lessons
- Track student participation and response to questions using popsicle sticks, seating charts, or other methods
- Use "Student Talk" time during PLCs to investigate how well students are learning material
- Review student work with fellow teachers to ensure grading consistency, identify problem areas, and judge how well students are understanding the concepts
- Use Interactive Notebooks to help students engage with content
- Use formative assessments, checks for understanding, and frequent class discussion
- Provide opportunities for application of content and learning through projects
- Create and display anchor charts
- Allow opportunities for other methods to demonstrate knowledge versus simply using tests
- Provide hands-on learning activities that allow students to manipulative and see cause-effect relationships
- Incorporate Project-Based Learning such as service learning, genius hour, Gateway projects and inquiry
- Use assessment choice boards to incorporate different ways to show knowledge
- Use discussion forums and backchannels to allow for student discussion and questioning
Classroom Assessment: Minute by Minute, Day by Day - Educational Leadership
6 Types of Assessment for Learning - teachthought
- Use for warm-ups and exit tickets with the Quiz function to self-grade
- Survey students on their current understanding of content
- Use to check for understanding after a lesson
- Introduce new content with flipped lessons to determine baseline for learning
- Students compete against each other and the clock to answer MC questions
- Assess prior knowledge before a new concept
- Informally pre-test/post-test the entire class for review
- Gather data for remediation purposes
- Embed videos with questions and tasks for students to complete to show learning and check for understanding