Parent Meeting for 9th Graders & New Students - Are you the parent of a 9th grader or a new student to PGHS? If so, you should attend the parent information session on Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. in the PGHS Radel Auditorium.
Athletics - There is a mandatory parent meeting for parents of athletes at 6:30 p.m. in the HS Radel Auditorium on Thursday, August 14, 2014. Athletic Director, Mr. DeRenzo, will be leading this informative session on our athletic policies, eligibility standards, safety procedures/protocol, and everything you need to prepare for the fall sports season.
- Fall Sports Camp begins the week of August 11, 2014
- Mandatory Parent meeting for all athletes 8-14-14 at 6:30 p.m.
- Physicals must be submitted before participating in athletics
Music - The Marching Band has been practicing throughout the summer and band camp starts TOMORROW! The drill is written and music is completed so it's time to dig in and learn the show. Best wishes to the marching band as they kickoff the fall tomorrow.
1-1 Digital Learning - The School Baord approved PGHS becoming a 1-1 school. 1-1 is a term that is used to describe a school that provides students with a electronic device. PHS has chosen to use Apple laptops; Apple products are filled with educational apps and programs that are excellent for learning. Mr. Wagman, our district's Director of Technology, led a group of PGHS teachers and building/district leadership to update the team on the progress of the 1-1, to share the current plans, and to hear from teachers on the 1-1. Teachers identified areas that need attention before the roll out in Winter of 2015. Plus, the teachers representatives discussed professional development opportunities needed to be prepared for the 1-1 roll out.
New Teachers - PGHS would like to officially welcome the following new team members:
- Mr. Brian Sheehan - Biology & Chemistry Teacher - Mr. Sheehan is a recent graduate of Lebanon Valley College and has a dual certification in Biology and Chemistry.
- Mrs. Michelle Moyer - Spanish 1/2 Time - Mrs. Moyer is replacing Julia Stoudt, who accepted a position at West Pottsgrove Elementary School - Congrats Mrs. Stoudt). Mrs. Moyer, an experienced teacher, comes to us with a strong skill set in student engagement.
- Mrs. Tiffany Nguyen - Biology LTS - Mrs. Nguyen has a Masters in Forensics Science from the the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Ms. Lauren Compton - Math LTS - Mrs. Compton will be filling in for Mrs. Biddle and teaching Algebra 2. She has experience in teaching math and is a huge soccer fan.
Curriculum - Under the direction of Daniel Vorhis, Director of Education and Assessment, many teachers worked on curriculum to closely align their courses to the Common Core standards. Additionally, teachers wrote the new curriculum for the new Advanced Placement courses in Biology, Calculus BC, Environmental Science, and Physics. This past week, our Biology teachers spent time aligning their curriculum and assessments to the Keystone exams. Mrs. Launi, Biology Teacher, worked on creating the first ever online course in Anatomy and Physiology at PGHS. Curriculum writing is an on-going process as we continue to stay relevant, current, and closely aligned to state and national standards.
SLO's (Student Learning Objectives) - A Student Learning Objective, or SLO, is an academic goal set for an educator’s students at the start of a course. It represents the most important learning that is aligned to Common Core, State, or national standards, as well as any other school and district priorities. SLO is process to document a measure of educator effectiveness based on student achievement content standards. Teachers will set goals in each content area based on content standards. These standards are aligned to the Common Core. Under the leadership of Dr. Shirk, a team of PGHS teachers worked together throughout the summer on SLO's. The SLO team examined previous work, the creation of the District SLO Webpage, and designed a tutorial video for educators on SLO's. Members of the SLO team also planned out how to support teachers with SLO's and the professional development needed to implement SLO's.
Renovations - The Renovations have certainly changed the complexion of PGHS as we move toward progress for the future. It is exciting to watch the day by day changes of the building renovation. Below are some important bullets on progress:
- Hallways - The ceiling and grids in the hallways have been removed to allow contractors quick access to the ceiling during the evening and over school vacations.
- 400 Wing - This wing has seen the most changes in renovations with the total removal of walls and the beginning of designing the new classrooms for that area.
- New Gymnasium - The portico outside of the music area has been removed and the base for the new gymnasium has started.
- Kauffman Road Entrance - A new entrance is being created just a few feet away from the prior entrance that brought you into the south entrance of the building. This has the south entrance currently closed as the new road/entrance way is built. The entrance is scheduled to be open for the start of school.
- Cafeteria - The ground work for the new cafeteria is scheduled to begin in the next week or so.
- Classrooms - Other than the 400 wing, classrooms have remained untouched to to the renovations at this time. They are scheduled for next summer.
Back to School Night - Wednesday, September 10, 2014 from 7:00-8:30 p.m.