Walls's Monkey Memo
January 12, 2015
Greetings Students and Families,
* Report cards go home today! If you would like to meet with me before conferences please let me know.
** Conferences are scheduled for February 5th & 6th. Letters will be sent out next Monday.
Math focus: Multiplication & Division
Monday - Divide by 4
Tuesday - Multiply & Divide by 0 & 1
Wednesday - Review
Thursday - Chapter Test
Friday - Geography Bee
Literacy focus: Characterization
Novel study with The Chalk Box Kid. Students will analyze the main character through his words, thoughts, and actions. Students will continue to summarize passages and write answers to questions using constructive response.
A New challenge will begin this Friday. Please remind your student to bring their independent reading book and pink reading log to school every day. Weekly reading challenges are due every Friday. * Students must write 1-2 sentences for each section of reading, even if they read more than one section in one day.
Unit #16 The Schwa Sound (a in about, u in upon, and e in over). Please help your child study the spelling words every night. Ask them to use the words in a sentence to help build fluency.
*Please be sure to check your child's planner every night! This nightly routine helps form good habits, fosters responsibility, and helps prepare children to become more independent in the future.
We have a new schedule for some of our specials this semester. Please see below.
Monday Art 2:10 - 2:40
Tuesday P.E. 2:10 - 2:40
Wednesday Art 2:10 - 2:40
Thursday P.E. 1:40 - 2:10
Friday Library 1:35 - 2:20
* Mrs. Moore had a baby boy named Gavin over the holiday break. Ms. Alexson is her sub for the next several weeks and will be teaching art in place of music.
PTO News & Notes
West Homer Elementary
1/8/15 - 6:30 PM
1. Call to Order
· Cotton, Lynne
· Marshall, Mary
· Marshall, Ray
· Laura Peek
· Jessie Dabney
· Tayna Shafer
Approval of Agenda: - Approved
3. Approval of Minutes: - Approved
4. School Goals:
· To ensure test reliability, all students will engage in computer based educational activities that are formatted similar to AMP for a minimum of 60 min per week.
· WHE will improve the average daily attendance rate for the 2014-15 school year to 96%.
· WHE will implement PBIS Phase I in 2014-2015 and will establish baseline data for disruptive behavior in the school.
· All teachers will successfully record and report student progress utilizing a standards referenced report card.
· WHE will analyze common quarterly writing assessment information to determine strengths and weaknesses within our writing curriculum and to drive future instruction. Additionally, WHE will utilize this year's quarterly writing assessment results as baseline data to compare future years data against to measure growth.
· Principal’s Report:
a. New 5th grade class lowers class size
c. Lego robotics
6. Treasures Report
· Box Tops - $362.05
a. Save envelopes from bills
Labels for Education - 14,752 points
e-script $300 deposited in Nov.
7. Bingo - Will need staff helpers
· $826 including concessions on last Bingo night
· Bingo Friday night Jan. 16th
· $5 for a book of 5
· Highlighters as dobbers $1
o 4 Swim passes
o Bay Club
o Silly bands - Wild Card
o Ice cream - 12 oz root beer floats
o Dish of ice cream
o Pizza 2-4
o Water bottle
o Receipt for winners
o Selling concessions
8. Little Shopper's Shop
· Added a family night busy from 4:30-5:30 then low traffic thereafter.
· Profit $833
· Quality of gifts better
· Fewer items to get students in trouble in class - bouncy balls and slime
· Odd prices made students use math skills
· Maybe a grade or student council could do next year (afterschool) Staff interested?
9. Indoor Yard Sale
· Fliers went home
· Some vendors already committee
· $20 for a 10x10 space
· Space comes with table
· Early set up on Friday at 6:30
· Free booths for grades
· PTO will not do concessions unless no one from the school does.
10. Request for funding: Healthy Futures $100 Approve
11. Next Meeting – February 12th at 6:30
12. Next agenda
· reflective vests for sale
· Display My Art program (on cups, plates, mouse pads)
Dates to Remember
Jan. 05-20 - Aimsweb Testing
Jan. 12 - Report Cards sent home
Jan. 14 - 2nd Quarter Awards Assembly 1:45 pm
Jan. 16 - Geography Bee 9:00 am
Jan. 16 - Bingo Night 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Jan. 19 - Vacation Day - No School
Jan. 20 - Student Store Open
Jan. 21 - Cross Country Ski gear check
Jan. 23 - Volleyball starts - Tuesdays & Fridays
Jan. 24 - WHE Yard Sale 9:00 - 4:00
Jan. 26 - Cross Country Skiing starts - Mondays & Wednesdays
Jan. 30 - Spirit Day - Box Day
*Use boxes to make a recycled outfit that can be wearable.
Contact Ms. Walls