--Peek at Our Week--July 2022
Paonia K-8 School
The Paonia K-8 School Families,
If you are new to PK8, this is our weekly family newsletter, and it is called the Peek at Our Week! It will include school-wide information. Your classroom teachers will also provide classroom-specific information to you through their newsletters and communication methods. Once school begins, your teacher will explain his/her process to you.
On behalf of all of the staff of Paonia K-8, I want to welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year! I welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and I look forward to partnering and working with you and your children.
Another incredible and productive school year is about to start. Our skilled and devoted staff are planning and preparing activities, lessons, and educational experiences that align with our vision of inspiring lifelong learning for a positive future. We are welcoming a few new staff members into our building as well:
- Eileen Stewart as 5th grade homeroom, ELA, Social Studies and 6th grade ELA
- Jinny West-Morga as a Special Education para
- Ashley Pitcher as a Special Education para
- Galina Miller as Pre-K classroom para
I will be introducing our new staff members in more detail in a PK8 newsletter.
Our enthusiastic office team will register new families, order needed materials, and keep me in line. Our hard-working and conscientious custodians have spent the summer preparing our building. And, our much-appreciated PPO is gearing up to welcome families, provide volunteer opportunities, and offer other exciting events and programs. We are indeed a joyous and caring community with the common goals of nurturing responsible, caring students and promoting high-level learning.
Mr. Cox and I look forward to another year of partnering to bring our students, staff, and families an exceptional experience!
Don't forget to use our website and PPO page as a resource for information:
- Friday, August 5 : 8:00-4:00pm: PK8 Registration Day. Please register your child online as soon as possible in order to give us the most accurate count for planning. If your child is in Kindergarten - 5th grade, you are not required to come in. If you need to drop off items to the secretaries, need help with registration, or just want to come to say hi, feel free to stop by! Middle school students (6th-8th grade) need to come on August 5 to select their electives and get their locker assignments. The lockers will not have locks on them this year.
- Sunday, August 14: Chalk the Walk. Outside at our entrance, please write encouraging messages and draw pictures to welcome our students on their first day! Chalk will be provided.
- Monday, August 15: First day for all students and ½ of Kindergarten*
- Tuesday, August 16: First day for ½ of Kindergarten*
- Thursday, August 18: Back to School BBQ 5:00pm-7:00pm
*Our secretaries will contact you the week of August 8 with your Kindergartener’s start date.
Welcome to the PK8 family! We can't wait to see you!
Amelia Baldwin, Principal
School Lunch 2022-2023
The all-students free meal program is coming to an end.
Even if you do not plan to eat school lunch, please apply so that we have accurate data reported for our school's funding.
PLEASE fill out the district's free and reduced price lunch application:
Families will have to apply for free or reduced-price meals via the USDA's National School Lunch Program (NSLP). When you register for school, you will have the opportunity to apply. This information is not shared with the school.
Our Title 1 funding is determined by a qualifying free/reduced lunch percentages.
The PK8 Title 1 funds pay for homework club, childcare for PPO meetings, academic support staff, and much more!
This year, we do not have the Title 1 funds to support these activities due to families not applying for free/reduced lunches.
Therefore, we will use our PPO and building funds to pay for these services.
Even if you do not plan to eat school lunch, please apply so that we have accurate data reported for federal funding.
We appreciate the accurate information so that we can appropriately fund the support programs that help make our school incredible!
Registration for 2022-2023 School Year
Returning student registration will open August 3rd, 2022. If your child was enrolled in a DCSD school at the end of last year, you will register as a returning student.
Families can expect to receive an email with the required snapcode for each student that needs to be registered.
New students to DCSD can register at any time.
Registration is available at https://www.deltaschools.com/en-US/registration-a475a689
The first day of school is August 15!
7th and 8th grade football interest meeting on 8/15 at 3:30. Practices start Tuesday 16th after school from 3:30pm-5:30pm.
7th and 8th grade volleyball interest meeting Monday 8/15 at lunchtime. Practices start Tuesday 6:15-7:30am.
Your sports physical must be complete to practice, so get those done before school starts!
Do you need a discount on your internet bill or on purchasing a laptop, desktop, or tablet?
If so, PLEASE fill out the district's free and reduced price lunch application:
The @FCC’s Affordable Connectivity Program has replaced the Emergency Broadband Benefit. This program provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet for eligible households. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider.